A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 319,845
Currently Running With Scissors:
187 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Velcro and cell phone cozies  (Read 1470 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2004 09:53:35 AM »

I have been knitting cotton cell phone cozies and using velcro for the closure.  I am finding that I loathe sewing the velcro.  Does any one have any suggesting for either making this an easier task, or an alternative way of attaching the velcro.  I know this is probably wishful thinking...but maybe....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004 01:01:33 PM by twilight021 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

skittermagoo
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004 06:22:29 AM »

Unfortunately I have no suggestions, but wanted to second your lament about the velcro -- that was the hardest part about the cell phone cozy I made!  'Course, if I had an actual thimble, it might not have been so bad, but I totally tore up my fingers with that horrible sharp needle . . . kept stabbing myself, and trying desperately not to bleed on my cozy.  

I thought about using a button, but that seems like it would be a pain -- having to unbutton to answer the phone, etc.  

I was thinking of making my second cozy "open topped" with a little strap to hang onto (like a tiny, long skinny tote bag, ish).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my new blog site:  www.skittermagoo.com
knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004 10:08:13 AM »

Well I made my cell phone case with a snap and it works pretty well and it was fast to attach the snap.  I don't usually have the problem with the "unbuttoning" because when i turn on my phone i either put it in a more accessible place or i leave the top unbuttoned.  Good luck with the velcro though.  Just a side note...I've never liked velcro because it always gets yarn bits or hair stuck in it and makes it really dirty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiemarie
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004 12:49:37 PM »

i have been doing mine with big buttons and big buttonholes, they are pretty quick to open, or so the people who ive given them to say...
-cassie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004 05:54:50 PM »

Well I made my cell phone case with a snap and it works pretty well and it was fast to attach the snap.

What size/type snap did you use?  I tried snaps, but they were so tight I was afarid they would rip the knitting.  Maybe I used some that were too big?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004 09:43:24 AM »

I'm not sure what size they are but they're not that big.  I usually have to to carefully open the snap so worrying about messing up the knitting really isn't a problem....however, if I really need to get it open fast I can pretty much just pull and it doesn't seem to be ripping or wrecking the yarn.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Elf on a Shelf Tutu
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Recycled Sweater Quilt
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...