A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 314,277
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birthday Isabeau Purse  (Read 6061 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

brittastik
« on: August 22, 2005 05:39:27 PM »

YAY!  Cheesy This is my first post on crafster, although I've been reading and watching for a while now...creepy...

I wasn't sure what category to put this purse under because it has a few different elements.  I made it, sorta, from a pattern I found on someone's blog, although I can't remember the url, so I'll just say thank you to Sylvie Damey.  I didn't really follow the pattern very closely, only the lace pattern and the closure tab.  The main body of the purse is knit with 100% bright blue cotton that dyed my fingers and hands, the lining on the back is an old pink bedsheet, the button is made from sculpey, and the handle is two lengths of ribbon sewn together.

The purse is for my friend Ilichna's birthday, I hope she likes it, I kinda strayed from her usual attire. Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus is sixteen and wants to be in movies.
FancyShmancy

smoke. drink. craft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005 05:45:34 PM »

that's really cute!

...and you made that button from sculpey?! please tell me you had a mold or something, because that's just too outrageously awesome! i feel geeky getting so excited about such things.. but.. wow! awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seriously? like, seriously.
brittastik
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005 05:50:55 PM »

ha ha, no, no mold, I actually don't remember making it.  I found it with all my handmade beads and junk yesterday!   but I must have, the lopsided holes have ME written all over them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlueJeanBaby

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005 06:05:03 PM »

Oh....I love it! If your friend doesn't like it,send it to me...kidding,I'm sure she will love it.
Way to use all of your crafting abilities on one super cute purse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnyday
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005 09:08:39 PM »

Wow! I love it, charming, sweet, funky and vibrant all at once.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mickncrispy
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005 03:36:31 AM »

Wow I'm so jealous that you can knit.  My mother-in-law tried to teach me once but gave up in despair cause I hold one needle in my belly button and just move one needle.  Weird but true.  Very nice bag and great hand made button.  i've never even thought to make my own.  Thanks for the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ive got a perfect body, though sometimes I forget
Ive got a perfect body cause my eyelashes catch my sweat
Yes, they do, they do
brittastik
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005 01:16:27 PM »

Wow I'm so jealous that you can knit.  My mother-in-law tried to teach me once but gave up in despair cause I hold one needle in my belly button and just move one needle.  Weird but true.  Very nice bag and great hand made button.  i've never even thought to make my own.  Thanks for the inspiration.

The woman who wrote the book Stitch n' Bitch, or at least, I think it was her, holds one needle in her armpit, so you're not alone
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005 01:44:15 PM »

FancySchmancy... if you still want to try making buttons with polymer clay, check out this page at my website on doing just that:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/buttons.htm

Btw, I wouldn't use Sculpey brand polymer clay for any thin buttons you might make... it's much more breakable than the other polymer clays when it's thin or has projecting parts.

If you want to make the style of button below, you won't need a mold (though you could use one if you wanted). 
Just roll some clay into a seamless ball, and flatten it to the outer thickness-height you want ... for the interior depression, press something flat and round (like the end of a dowel) into the center of the disc a little way (its diameter should be less than the diameter of the flattened disc, of course).
To make the holes, it's better to remove clay than push it aside, so you can use something like a coffee stirrer straw ...press into the clay, twist, and remove (the clay will stick in the straw, so just cut a bit off from the straw after each hole). 

If you want to make more than one button in exactly the same size, you can still do the above, but use the same volume of clay for each one. 
One way to do that is to flatten the clay into an eve-thickness sheet, then use a cutter of some kind to cut out multiples... when you make balls from those and turn them into buttons, they should end up the same size. 
Another way would be to roll a log of your clay, then cut off equal lengths of clay to use for each button.

If you want to read about using polymer clay in molds (or even making molds from polymer clay in the first place, then using them with more clay), check out this page too:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/molds.htm

(Also, if you don't already have a button you'd like to use to make a mold from... create a button from polymer clay, bake it, then use that to make a button mold for the rest of the buttons.)

(button-making with polymer clay is re-e-e-ally fun!! Grin Grin)

Diane B.
GlassAttic ...polymer clay "encyclopedia"
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
brittastik
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005 02:13:36 PM »

bajebus, yer a polymer clay button fanatic!  but you're right, that's pretty much how I made mine, although I made the holes by poking a small needle through and wiggling it around until the holes were a little larger and pretty. 

and I agree, buttons are fun, making buttons is even MORE fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SylvChezPlum
Knitting and crocheting in France

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005 01:32:29 PM »

Yey, it looks really neat !! Love that blue !!

Actually the pattern can be found there. I really have to add the link inside the pattern !  Wink

And btw, I just added a Gallery in my site featuring what others do with my patterns, and I'd love it if you me pics of your bag ! Like I said, it's really nice, and always cool to see other's people's variation on your own pattern..  Wink

sylvie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patterns & free Patterns: ChezPlum - Blog - Etsy -
Rav - Craftsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...