A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 315,264
Currently Running With Scissors:
213 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making & binding a scrapbook.  (Read 4023 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

knuckle_dusters

loyal to the mob.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2004 02:41:57 PM »

Hi. I'm new and this is my first post. I'm really glad I found this site, I'm hoping some people will be of help!!!  Grin

For my friend's birthday I'm making a Cadillac scrapbook. It's gonna have a ton of old Caddy ads, information, basically anything I can come up with.

However, I plan to actually make & bind the scrapbook. However, I have NO IDEA how to go upon it.

Anyone have suggestions for the covers? And what type of paper to use? And what to use to bind it?

I've already spent 65$ on cadillac advertisements, so I rather not spend too much more, let alone on just the scrapbook.

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carrievision

I'm walkin' on sushi.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004 06:15:42 PM »

Reading around about other books on the site will help Smiley  Buut, if you want it to be really easy, you can make the book with whatever paper/cardstock you want, and then you can get it spiral bound at Kinko's.  It doesn't take them long to do and I think it costs around $5.  And you can choose the color of the "spiral".  That way it will look professional and long-lasting.  Smiley  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knuckle_dusters

loyal to the mob.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004 06:39:47 PM »

Thanks for the help! Ill definetly keep Kinkos in mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carrie Zohn
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005 04:42:13 AM »

There are LOTS of different ways to create your own scrapbook. You can make an accordian fold-out type, use chipboard and bind it with ribbon, eyelets, etc.  We sell 2 ring binder mechanisms and people have made some wonderful things using those.  Feel free to stop by my site and take a gander in the layout gallery and the message boards.  You'll find the binder mechanisms in the store.

Oh!!!  I also have made license plate albums as well (out of a REAL license plate).  That would be GREAT for your Cadillac theme!!

Carrie Zohn
Scrapping With Style
THIS ROCKS   Logged

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005 02:49:34 PM »

Carrie Zohn-- how did you make an album from a license plate? That sounds cool.. and those are relatively cheap off of ebay and stuff.

p.s. do you have any pictures?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carrie Zohn
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005 03:19:27 PM »

Funny you should mention that.  I'm doing one right now for my husband out of an MBG license plate as he just bought a '74 MGB.  They're fairly easy to make.  Cut the license plate into three parts (one at 5" and one at 7"), figure out where you want your hinges, drill the holes, attach the hinges (either with eyelets, rivets, brads, etc.), attach a binder mechanism and there's your album.

This is the first one I EVER did but it gives you an idea of how to get started:

http://zohns.com/photopost/data/548/1lp3.jpg
http://zohns.com/photopost/data/548/1lp1.jpg
http://zohns.com/photopost/data/548/1lp2.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005 04:03:03 PM »

That's awesome! Thanks Carrie Zohn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NellyPie

"I'm a princess NOT a policeman!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005 04:18:59 PM »

Have you though about some sort of big altered book? The book you use could be something completely unrelated with pictures or words that relate to the design theme you're going for. Like a travel book with lots of scenic drives, or a car mechanic's textbook, or even some kind of modern history book (if you're following the Caddy by decade). I hope that made sense. Buy a big cheap book that you like SOME part of, then redesign the pages you do like (incorporating all the stuff you already collected) and rip out the parts you don't need. You could even glue big sections of the pages together to cut out niches or drawers and stick in a car key, mini car model or other 3D trinkets. (Hope that made sense, altered books are a little strange if you haven't heard of them before. there are a lot of examples on the internet and a few here on craftster though)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please go see my shop!
http://www.NellyPie.etsy.com
Carrie Zohn
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005 06:35:23 AM »

OMGOMGOMGOMG A car mechanic text book ..... you just gave ME an awesome idea. Thank you!@
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjtalula

Miette la chat noir

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005 10:11:58 AM »

It was my friend's b- day and I was looking for a frame to paint at the 99 cents store when I came across a cheesy looking scrapbook.  It was basically two thick pages of cardboard, ( or something similar) with a ribbon strung through two holes to bind it.  I ended up covering the thing with tissue paper and glue and transformed the mundane into something fabulous!  You could make one like this easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends-
It gives a lovely light!

Edna St. Vincent Millay
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Wooden Spoons
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...