A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 319,830
Currently Running With Scissors:
227 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How did you get started?  (Read 1010 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

girlonjourney
« on: August 15, 2005 01:37:58 PM »

For the veteran crafters, how did you get started with your crafting business? I am wondering if most people get start up loans or just use their own money from a full-time job? Just curious...I am trying to just put the money from my sales into obtaining more supplies and so on, but it never seems like enough to really get a good inventory going. Just curious how others have found success with funding their business.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faithonfire
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005 01:48:45 PM »

I never had to invest too much $$ when i first started making customized fleece scarves, i depended quite a lot on using my profits to buy material. Of course, i didn't have a lot extra in stock, but it was enough. Later after my website got popular enough [a couple thousand dollars in a year], i invested in more. i guess you just have to wait until people buy before you can truly invest. Or, you can just invest and hope for the best! I hope this somewhat helped Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beadbakery
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005 03:16:11 PM »

Thanks soo much for posting this Wreathgirl, I would also greatly appreiate any advice about how to get started.  Any books or sites (especially Canadian) that will give me some steps to follow to start a business
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wonderlandnyc

'fame is nothing more than loving someone'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005 05:02:02 PM »

i was thinking of starting my site for a while, but never had the time or money to actually get it off its feet. then, at the beginning of this summer, i got this HUGE tax return check ... so i decided to hold off getting a summer job, and to start the website instead. of course, i worked through all the money ... but, at least i'm not in debt!

lindsay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wonderlandmanhattan.com - one of a kind couture, one of a kind city.
girlonjourney
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005 05:33:53 PM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback,it has helped. I think one thing is I need to be patient and build things up slowly. Sometimes I get frustrated when I don't have enough money to get to these big shows, and thin" I have to go to them to make any money" but I know in reality it is just a matter of plugging away it little by little and budgeting well (don't do that part so well unfortunately!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetpeahandcrafts
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005 08:03:57 AM »

And don't discount the small shows!  If you spend, say, less than $50 on a table but pull in a couple hundred bucks, that's a nice bit of change. 

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purses, Retro Aprons and Other Accessories!
www.sweetpeahandcrafts.com
diagonalman
I am man. Watch me Sew.

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005 08:49:46 AM »

I'm not a veteran crafter or small business owner, but I don't think I'm flying blind either.

Right now, I'm just doing custom work which comes from word-of-mouth. I have a sneak preview version of my web site up and hope that its just enough to give people a good glimpse as to what we're making. But I still expect most, if not all of my sales to come from people who see and touch my products.

The first tipping point is when I run out of friends and family to sell to. Then we'll see how far word of mouth spreads past that first circle.

Since my wife and I are working regular jobs, I find it hard to build an inventory also. But I think even if orders start to slow, I shouldn't slow down the production. Once I have an inventory, then other avenues like craft fairs, open air markets, etc. are prime marketing candidates.

Eventually I will look into a small business loan and perhaps even changing careers so that I could work part time, but I'm taking things one-day and a time right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DiagonalMan
Sewist/Seamster since January 2005!

Please check out my new Holiday Cards at Etsy!

Magnolia Handbags & Accessories
girlonjourney
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005 07:24:35 PM »

And don't discount the small shows!  If you spend, say, less than $50 on a table but pull in a couple hundred bucks, that's a nice bit of change. 

Jen

yes, very true. I have been trying to stay focused on smaller shows closer to home. Start small and focus on doing that well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Crochet Knotted Head Wrap
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...