A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
269 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Interfacing necessary?  (Read 1755 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
star69

Summer swappin' fever and writing inspiration!

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2005 07:09:59 PM »

Well, I making a bag for a swap, and I'm wondering, is it absolutely necessary for the bag to have interfacing? How does it add to the bag? And second, how is this added, as I haven't made a bag with interfacing before...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005 07:16:54 PM »

well...it's not absolutely necessary.  it's used to add stiffness to the bag, so that the bag can stand on it's own and retain it's shape a bit easier. there's iron on, which you iron onto the back of the fabric, and there's sew on which you sew onto the back of the fabric.  it's usually sandwiched between the lining and the outter fabric.  i suppose if your using a heavy fabric like denim or canvas, you might not need it, but if you're using something thin like cotton, then you might want to.  i tend to think it makes the bag a bit more sturdy and stable, but that's just me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

star69

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005 07:25:05 PM »

That might be helpful. Thanks for that. But where can you buy that? I'm going shopping for the fabric tomorrow. Would they sell that at JoAnn Fabrics?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005 08:09:27 PM »

yes they do. pretty much anywhere you can buy fabric off a bolt, you can buy interfcing.  also, you'll find it comes in many different stiffnesses.  if you're not sure which to get, pick out your fabric first, and then ask a salesperson the best type to of interfacing to use  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

star69

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005 07:29:35 AM »

Alright! Thanks a million! I'll know exactly what to look for now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005 06:59:12 PM »

I vote for interfacing all the way.  To start, I would try the iron in interfacing.  I think it's the easiest.  I've moved up to some pretty stiff stuff now that you sew in and I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

star69

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005 07:32:26 PM »

Just some questions though, I bought the interfacing, I iron it shiny siide down right? Second, Would I iron it you each seperate piece, or just to the main parts? And third, does it need to stick to the lining as well? Please answer as soon as possible! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005 07:35:59 PM »

if you feel the interfacing, there is probably a kind of rough side.  that is the side with the little glue bits that are going to stick to your fabric when you iron it.  if you're not sure, test a little piece before you start ironing. 

you can put interfacing on the lining and outer fabric if you want.  i usually just stick it to one or the other, but you can certainly do both, and it doesn't really matter which (i don't think). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

star69

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005 07:53:08 PM »

I'm guessing that's for the main pieces, right? Would adding it to the sides help as well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005 08:15:55 PM »

if you're going to add interfacing (i skip it when i'm feeling lazy... shhhhhh!  don't tell!), i think it just makes sense to added it to every side.  and especially the straps.  sometimes if i don't do the base of the bag, i'll still do the straps, because they really take a beating and i've had a bag or two that fell apart when i didn't take the time to really make the straps strong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...