A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 315,150
Currently Running With Scissors:
193 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Infamous Chicken Viking Hat - Now In Crochet! * Tutorial *  (Read 116679 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005 05:03:42 PM »

what a cool idea, claudiaginger! A Cooked chicken viking hat! haha!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005 05:05:22 PM by skullseamstress » THIS ROCKS   Logged
skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005 10:15:36 PM »

NOTE: These instructions are the SECOND HALF. Go see the first half on Page two of the replies.

<cont'd>
whew!  Ok. NOW. DON't follow those directions exactly, ok? You need to fit this hat to you. (Or guess for the person you're making it for) The hat I made is not exactly to those directions, it's made to fit my huge melon, and I sized it many times, starting when it was looking like a Jewish skullcap. I put it on alot, to make sure I was on track. And when you fiiiiinally get to stop increasing, put it on alot then, too, and make sure you envision 4 rows more of brim on there, and when it's the size you want, stop. Turn it inside out, and you can either finish off your yarn and start again in the opposite direction, or just slip stitch a few times, turn around, and start going the other way. That's what i did. go around, now stitching in only the BACK LOOP (if you want those lines on the brim. shown in the pic) for 4 or 5 rows, whatever looks best to you. Then End off.

Now. Earflaps.  I wanted to continue my pattern of rows on the brim all the way down my earflaps.    

So to keep the lines, Basically, the fronts of the sc stitches, I couldnt turn the work when doing the earflaps, becase then every other line would be facing backwards. So, instead of breaking the yarn after each little row, and starting again at the other side (messy!), I remembered seeing instructions somewhere for reverse single crochet, worked left to right, without turning. So I found those instructions, and it worked really great!! Just google 'reverse single crochet' and you'll have websites falling all over each other for the privilege of teaching you. It's not too bad.. if you get frustrated at first, try flipping your hook around a different way, or turning the work around halfway through.... you'll get it eventually! It's good to learn new skills!

So, I made the earflaps roughly 4 inches wide at the base, and I positioned them carefully over my ears, which I found was not evenly spaced in the middle of the hat, so position carefully! So figure out which side will be the front of your hat, and when you've positioned where the flaps will be, use single crochet to build them up. when you get to the end of the first row, chain one and then use reverse sc to go back. Do one less sc at each ending, to make a pyramid shape for your earflap. When you reach the top, I stopped at three or four sc at the top, then slip stitch down one side to clean it up, and then slip stitch behind to the inside of the hat a tiny bit to hide the end, then end off. Refasten over at the other side, so you can slip stitch up the other side of the pyramid to clean that side up. end off.  Do this on both sides! (course..)

To Make the pulls and tassles, get 10 long strands of pink, and 2 strands of whatever white you used for the drumsticks. I attached the middles of the strandst to the ends of the earflaps with 3 or 4 single crochets working around the strands, very tightly.

You can braid, or you can use the reverse twist like I did. Ooo, this'll be fun to describe w/o pictures....      take the two sides, and twist both of them to the right for about 3 inches, tightly. then, take the one on the right, and bring it over the one on the left. Keeping the twisting tight, keep bringing the right over the left, moving down the tie.  When it is long enough for you, -this is fun- twist 4 or 5 more inches of each of the halves, and tie them in one big knot. Dont tie them together like a pretzel,.. keeping the twisting tight, put them together, side by side, and bend them around, and bring the ends through... that kind of knot. Then, wail on it. Tighten that sucker as hard as you can, so the knot isn't of monstrous size. Very important to keep the twisting really tight for this.  Even though I really got the knots tight, I still took the tassel ends and chose three on one side and three on another side (of the same tassell) and tied them together (like a pretzel, this time) and did that for all of them, just as extra insurance against the big knot coming out. Call me paranoid.

To sew on the drumsticks:  Sew them on! I used backstitch to do it. Just do it nice and tight. The same pink yarn works real good. I did it from the inside. Be careful with the placement, it'll be possible to change it if you screw up, but no fun at all.

Ok, so is that everything?  It's late, so if i forgot something, let me know! I am also totally open to answering Private Message special questions about this.

Ok kids, have fun! Woo hoo! and PLEASE if you make anything, POST IT! don't be a lurker!

I'll have to let you guys know if I win some kind of "Silliest Entry" prize at the fair next week.. hehe!  **** UPDATE:  I won a blue ribbon for it at the fair.. yaaaay. Everyone else got a blue ribbon, too.. haha! *****

skullseamstress
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005 09:55:00 PM by skullseamstress » THIS ROCKS   Logged
discocactus
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005 06:49:14 PM »

The chicken viking hat was the first thing I saw on Craftster, and prompted me to join. I love this thing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheEverFalling

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005 07:03:50 PM »

Oh my goodness... I NEED ONE! I need to learn how to crochet... fast! (all I can do is a lumpy rectangle.) Or how to bribe someone into making one for me.. *looks innocent* any takers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That doesn't make sense to me. But then again, you are very small."~Treebeard
jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2005 12:22:44 AM »

OMG!! I don't care that I look ridiculous in hats... I am so going to make and wear this hat!!
Thanks so much for posting instructions!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
Fozziebear54
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2005 08:58:57 AM »

Last night I sat down with the knitting pattern and wrote down little alterations to make the hat fit an adult-sized head, and I'm hoping it turns out decent enough to wear. (I've never knit anything round before.) The instructions for making the drumsticks intimidates me, though. Would it look all right to have the knitted hat but crocheted drumsticks?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2005 09:02:56 AM »

I do think it would look ok, and it would look even better if you were able to use a smaller weight of yarn, (decrease size of hook accordingly, several sizes "Too small" for the yarn) but the same color, so the stitches are smaller, and less noticable.  I love the way the knit drumsticks look, but my knitting skills are nowhere close to being able to attempt them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2005 09:10:45 AM »

Just fa-freakin-tastic! Go scare the ladies at the Fair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pink Hula

Shala for a week

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2005 03:14:56 AM »

thats is excellent!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shala shala shala
inertia
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2005 03:53:01 PM »

whoaaa!  Grin this is fun!

i wouldn't have the guts to actually WEAR it, though..  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Crochet Rainbow Scarf
Let it Snow!
Meatless Monday: Cauliflower Spinach Puree

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...