A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
147 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Web Site comments & new product ideas please  (Read 3989 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
jordanapaige
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005 10:13:23 AM »

You could also try completely removing the product images on that page. No, it won't look as nice, but having just a text link for each product category will make it clear to people that there are several products available. You could give it a try for about month and see if there is any change on your stats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meco

Agent Provocateur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005 04:32:59 PM »

fairly obvious, but I have to say a lot of people just are not all that net savvy. Some may just not get it. Maybe less pictures on the front page, more splash. Definitely rotate photos.

Cool site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Serendipity Crafts
Serendipity Crafts

Elizabeth & Hugh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005 08:22:03 PM »

Thank you everyone for all the comments!

We will definately try changing things up a bit as we go along. Moving product around is a proven trick that retailers use as well .... subconsciously it's supposed to encourage sales - ie if a person enteres a store to go back to take a second look at something they have previously seen and it's not there, they tend to panic (thinking it's been sold). When they find it rather than thinking on it again, they will buy it right away. Wierd but it is supposed to work.

FYI - we have added two new plates to the site tonight.

The first is is a Pass Along Friends & Family Plate - the idea being you fill the plate with sweets and pass it onto someone who then does the same and passes it onto someone else .... and so on and so on and so on. The other is a Warm Winter Wishes Family Plate - it features a chubby little snowman holding a string of hearts. Family member's names are written in each heart.

As always, any thoughts and comments welcome!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elizabeth & Hugh
Personalized Signature Platters & Souvenir Plates
Serendipity-Crafts.com
Serendipity-Crafts Photo Gallery
Etsy Store
smokingmonkey
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2005 01:35:53 PM »

When going directly to that page, yes, it seems obvious, but I noticed some of the other pages don't have deeper levels, just click to view larger. If someone is coming from one of the other pages, they may not realize that there is more. People don't always read - they look at pictures first - and during the user's experience and learning your navigation, if you change it up on them it can be confusing.

Could you break the square into smaller squares, say, four showing three different things, and the fourth one saying "view more"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Serendipity Crafts
Serendipity Crafts

Elizabeth & Hugh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2005 05:03:32 AM »

FYI  Grin

We finally got around to loading all of our personalized plates to ETSY! Now we are crossing our fingers re: the upcoming gift giving season. Check out the link below and tell us what you think. Also, any new ideas for personalized plates are always welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elizabeth & Hugh
Serendipity-Crafts.com
Etsy Store
itscribe
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2005 04:42:25 PM »

Since no one's mentioned it, I will...

Any good web design book will tell you to never use "Click here...". 

The idea is that your site content (image/text) should lead the visitor to an intuitive conclusion as to where to click - click here is a lazy way to do so and looks somewhat unprofessional and could be hurting your credibility.

When I went to your home page and followed the link to personalized gifts it shows me five choices. All five images appear to be links, however only the first one has the telltale blue line surrounding it. My mother is quite the novice on the Internet, but she quickly figured out that things in a different color or surrounded by a box of blue or purple are places to click.

My suggestion would be to remove the "Click here".  Make the section titles (Personalized Decorative Plates, Personalized Gifts for Everyone...) into links and leave the text blue or maybe a purple that matches your banner. I would figure out how the first image is displayed differently and make the others have the blue box around them too. Looking further into your site, I would recommend you do that with all of your pages.  As an added bonus, having links with your key words in them might help with your search engine ranking.

Maybe in your first paragraph say something like..."The following categories contain samples of our work" or something that tells the visitor there is more information. 

I have seen other sites that do custom work and there is no additional information to be viewed - they want you to contact them and discuss it first. Personally, I leave those sites fairly quickly - so you may be losing some folk as a 'guilt by association' kind of thing.

Your stuff is quite cute. I love that you list the shows you are planning to attend.

One last thought, maybe put somewhere on your front page that you ship to the US; you might be seeing people leave who are assuming you don't. I know you have that info in your FAQ, but I would maybe put it on the first page so there's no doubt. I would also suggest putting that info on your order information page.

Good luck with your site.

scribe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Serendipity Crafts
Serendipity Crafts

Elizabeth & Hugh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2005 06:12:08 AM »

Thanks for the comments scribe.

Any good web design book will tell you to never use "Click here...". 

It would seem that we have been following the old rules. It used to be least that some could choose through their preferences NOT to view photos. As such, not only was the photo linked but there also would be a back up CLICK HERE. I would very much like to see the CLICK HERE gone. I have never cared for it myself and so, I will definitely be taking a look at those pages.

All five images appear to be links, however only the first one has the telltale blue line surrounding it.

Actually that is a bit of a mystery to me. I am working on a MAC and using Explorer. I can't see the blue line at all but I can see it on my PC at work. I am not sure how it got there in the first place so I am not quite sure how to duplicate it. I will look into it.

One last thought, maybe put somewhere on your front page that you ship to the US; you might be seeing people leave who are assuming you don't.

Ok confused again but then again, I haven't had my first coffee. Do the links on the left that says "Canadiana", "Canda Coolers" & the small image shot of the Canada Flag heart pin suggest to you that we don't ship outside Canada? Each product description page has the following "Shipping & Handling $0.00 - Within Canada & the continental USA" - I thought that was clear enough.

Thanks again for your comments - we will seriously look at those things you mentioned above.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elizabeth & Hugh
Serendipity-Crafts.com
Etsy Store
Serendipity Crafts
Serendipity Crafts

Elizabeth & Hugh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2005 10:49:47 AM »

Right then .... we have updated our site as per some of the suggestions above.

We have posted a blurb on the front page so as to (hopefully) make it obvious that we ship to both Canada & the US. International buyers on the other hand,  will still have to contact us re: ordering.

We linked our product titles to the appropriate full description pages.

We didn't entirely do away with the "CLICK HERE's" but instead changed them to either "ENTER" or "DETAILS" and which appear under the product titles.

I figured out why the one product pic had a blue line around it (because it was without borders). While our pics are linked to the respective description pages, we nixed the idea of adding blue lines to all the pics because we feel it looks cheesy.

And finally ..... I have updated the ordering procedures page with mention of shipping to the US.

And now that I have spent most of today working on the website .... I think it's time to get crafty and finish up the orders I was supposed to do this weekend!

Thanks again for your input!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elizabeth & Hugh
Serendipity-Crafts.com
Etsy Store
Serendipity Crafts
Serendipity Crafts

Elizabeth & Hugh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2006 01:52:30 PM »

Our 2006 web site changes include -

1. New home page and page banner/footers.
2. We have introduced next and previous buttons in attempt to make browsing easier.
3. We have added pricing to our product index pages.
4. We have reworked our customer gallery (http://www.serendipity-crafts.com/gallery.html) into categories (hopefully) making it easier for users to see examples of plate and platters 

Our January plans -

We are planning on sending out our first "especial" of 2006 to our database recipients withing the next few days. We will also ask for input on new designs for personalized gift items.

We have plans to introduce signature platters for graduation & anniversary parties. These new platters are actually the results of custom orders from customers.

Now for the real reason for this posting -

We are looking for web site feedback, input, ideas, anything....have we made the site better? worse? You tell us. Also, we are always looking for new personalized plate and platter design ideas so if you have a suggestion, don't be shy - post them here. Thanks in advance.

Take care,

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elizabeth & Hugh
Serendipity-Crafts.com
Etsy Store
cinna-mum
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2006 01:45:12 AM »

I think your site looks great!! Love those plates!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Mama of 4

www.craftymamas.net
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...