A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
301 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make retro suitcase (canvas, webbing handle, foam/cardboard) - how to sew?  (Read 309 times)
Tags for this thread: suitcase , luggage , reinforced  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ripley
« on: November 22, 2019 07:42:37 AM »

Hello!

I'm making my own suitcase!

The shape is fairly "naive" - a square box with rounded corner. 3 large pieces:

1. Side wall #1
2. Side wall #2
3. The round "belt" going around the whole case

https://imgur.com/ngQix89

I have managed to make the three pieces quite good looking, but I have some big issues:

1. The suitcase does not hold its shape
So far I have only used 10mm closed cell foam (an old sleeping mat haha) - it looks and feels great, but is not good/sturdy enough. I've seen plastic canvas and cardboard being recommended - any experience here? So far (on my prototypes) I've just pushed the foam in after or during stitching, so they are not really attached to the outer fabric at all.

I wonder several things regarding reinforcement:
1a. What material is best for stiffening a suitcase?
1b. Is it best to actually stitch this part or just let it be "trapped" inside like I'm currently doing?

2. How on earth do I sew two 10mm thick pieces nicely together with a 90 degree angel as in my photo?
On my first shot I tried sewing with the 10mm foam inside - horribly results so far.
Second shot I kept small holes in all 3 pieces and stuffed the foam in afterwards (difficult) and finished the edges with hand stitching (ugly)
Now I'm considering sewing all three edges separately with bias binding and hand stitch the pieces afterwards with a heavy thread, but if there is a good technique for doing this with a machine I would love to learn. Note that I am not stitching through 2 * 10mm - as the foam is "trapped" between the two cotton layers. The issue is that my sewing foot simply can't get all the way to the edge near the foam.

3. How to make the handle?

I want ideally the handle to just be a cotton webbing, but when I tried now with heavy load, it got really bent. Is there some stiff material that can be used (hidden between the area where the handle is sew to the bag) that makes it resist the bending?
Note that just stiffening the bag as I'm asking for in #1 could actually solve this issue alone.

4. Any good tutorials on hiding zippers?

I would like to hide my zippers as much as possible - only the cotton canvas to been seen. Currently I tried to sew two "flaps" covering the zippers with the fabric I'm using for the rest of the suitcase. It looks great when flat, but when I sewed the whole suitcase together the flap that is attached to the 90 degree corner gets thrown out of shape and I'm left with a very ugly result.

Many questions, sorry about that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...