A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
278 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: english/continental knitting styles, a question?  (Read 333 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Be kind to yourself

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 18, 2019 07:32:14 AM »

I fell down a youtube hole last night and watched a few knitting videos-(even though I am not a knitter). They were talking about the continental style being more efficient etc. However the one thing that puzzled me is that in the English style of knitting, where you throw the yarn over the needle, in every case the knitter lifted their right hand entirely off the needle. This is of course appallingly inefficient. Is this the norm amongst knitters in the English style?

I was taught to knit about 45 years ago (I am old Father William) and we never ever lifted our right hand off the needle, we were taught to tension the yarn around the fingers of our right hand and then use the right index finger to move forward to 'throw' the yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019 08:01:09 AM »

Some don't take their hand off at all, they flick the yarn with their index finger. I don't flick, but neither do I remove the hand entirely, I just slide it up the needle and spread the index finger to wrap it. The outer fingers of my R hand support the needle along with the thumb and first finger of my L. I'm quite efficient, probably because I've been doing it more than 50 years. There are some inefficient continental knitters too. What makes a style more productive is not how you hold the needles and yarn, but keeping the hand close to the needle and being comfortable with your style and spending some time practicing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...