A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
275 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grease! - Rydell High Cheerleader Costume  (Read 1079 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
EriChanHime
« on: November 12, 2019 02:03:31 PM »

My whole department at work decided to plan a group theme (it was optional, but I figured, why not?!), and they went with Grease. I refuse to wear tight leather pants, so it was either regular clothes or prom clothes, but I also don't do pink, so the Pink Ladies' jackets were also out. I re-watched the film to see what else there would be, and I decided to go with the Cheerleader outfit, since it's so rarely seen as a costume. I already owned the perfect cherry red retro-inspired skirt (by the brand Rock Steady), so I needed the top and accessories. I mean, you can't be a 1950's cheerleader without ridiculous pompoms! Wink

Here is the reference image from the film that I based everything on:

You can see that her pompoms are on a central handle with a poof on each side, and they are fairly substantial. I couldn't find anything that looked like this, so I ordered some kid-sized ones from Amazon (small, but cost effective); I got 4 white ones and 4 red ones. They were conveniently held on the handles with zip ties. I separated each one, carefully un-threaded the ties, and removed the fluff bundles (tied with dental floss for bunch-control) from each.

Next, I decided that a single handle was long enough for me to hold, so I picked the nicest-looking two, sawed off the closed ends with a handsaw, and then drilled another set of holes at that end.

Next, I re-used the original zip ties to put two bundles on each side of the handles (so 4 tiny white single pompoms became 1 double-thick, two-ended pompom).

For the top, I decided that since I live in Texas, I didn't want an actual sweater (I would die), so I bought a plain white T-shirt at the craft store to build my top. I found online a nice outline of the Rydell patch from the original uniform, printed it out to scale for my chest (I'm super short), then traced each base shape on freezer paper. I ironed each shape onto my red felt and the cut tightly against each piece.

Once I had all my pieces ready, I very carefully overlaid each piece on a sheet of white felt, and then sewed a straight stitch very close to the edge of each to hold it together. Finally, I cut around the whole outline, leaving a crisp white edge for the patch. It looks exactly like the one in the film! I was so happy! Grin

To attach it to the shirt, I positioned it carefully while wearing it, then laid it flat and tweaked it a bit, pinned it within an inch of its life, and machine-sewed it to the shirt using a medium zigzag. I did this so that if I ever want to change the shirt that it's on, it will be each to remove; but the attachment stitching is fairly invisible on the patch itself.

The last touch was to add a cute red Peter Pan collar. Since, you know, RED, I decided to build it as a separately worn piece. I found a free pattern online, adjusted the size a little, then used scraps of a red cotton I already had to build the collar. I tacked it together in the front with some hidden stitches, and then I added a hook/eye to the back to hold it together. It overlaps the T-shirt collar very well, although having worn it once now for a full day, I think I will add snaps or Velcro at the two shoulder seams on the shirt and matching ones on the collar, as it tends to rotate throughout the day.

I finished off the whole screen look with a ponytail (decorated with an actual vintage silk chiffon scarf!), bobby socks with little pearls, and white tennis shoes (I refused to buy new shoes for a costume like this, so they are actually from a previous cosplay as Hank from the film Lunatics: A Love Story; hence the yellow smiley face tips).

And here is the final outfit!

I had SO MUCH FUN bouncing around, and cheering for people, and posing for photos (people even outside our company, but in our business complex, recognized me and asked for pictures). I even spent a couple hours researching cheers from the 1950's, and built a full cheer and choreographed and learned it, and then performed it for people throughout the day. Cheesy

Here it is (Yes, I'm a dork):

Who are we?
You know us!

Were Rydell!
Were Rydell!
Were Rydell High!
And were gonna beat you til you cry!

Lean to the left!
Lean to right!
Sit down, stand up,
Fight! Fight! Fight!

Gooooo, Rydell!

I didn't expect to enjoy this outfit as much as I did (I have clearly never been a cheerleader of any kind), but it was an awesome day. Grin Here's a final shot with me at work, posing with our office party's pirate skeleton (who I personally own and dressed using all items from my Ren Faire stash; his name is Hezekiah).

Go, Rydell High! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
endymion
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019 04:34:40 PM »

This is so awesome!!! I want that Peter Pan collar...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/magnifisweets
www://craftcrossing.com
Improbable Bird Lady YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/tqHw31kMEsU
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019 06:18:12 AM »

this is fantastic in every way! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019 08:18:29 AM »

Thank you so much, endymion and bethntim! This was so ridiculously fun. Cheesy

Also, here's the link to the site where I got the collar pattern: https://www.petitapetitandfamily.com/blog/titapetitandfamily.com/2014/12/diy-reversible-peter-pan-collar-2-ways.html. I printed the Adult Version PDF at about 95% or so. I completely ignored the instructions, though, and extended the back edge of the pieces about an inch, since I wanted mine to meet in the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
thanate
wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

writer/crafter/naturalist, mother, Team Oak Tree

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019 10:35:05 AM »

This is hilarious, and looks like it was great fun! Smiley  Yay for minor character/costume representation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And the moral of Pierre is 'Care'." -Maurice Sendak

Join us for the Last Swap: Little Good Things R2

Ugh, it's like Thanos, ok? (Tho I prefer *not* to destroy the universe when possible.) Thann-uh-tay
endymion
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019 11:12:03 AM »

Thanks so much for sharing the pattern source and your alterations to it! I just might make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/magnifisweets
www://craftcrossing.com
Improbable Bird Lady YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/tqHw31kMEsU
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

GryffinMaus

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019 11:23:31 AM »

Awesome job! You always walk through your process so thoroughly, I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BigBangMomma

***Please join the Craftster Discord!***

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019 11:53:41 AM »

The attention to detail in this is perfection. This is wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We Are Crafty Pals on Discord. Come keep in touch, too!

Proud Craftster since 2011.

@Lynx2Lancer on Instagram.
#CraftsterFriendsForever
#CraftsterNeverSaysDie
#MoreThanACraftWebsite

[email protected]
Joined the Craftster Reddit and Discord.
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019 12:34:41 PM »

This is the absolute best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 80
EriChanHime
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019 12:57:46 PM »

This is hilarious, and looks like it was great fun! Smiley  Yay for minor character/costume representation.

If only I could embed video for you guys... Grin The ridiculousness knew no bounds. But yes, tons of fun for me and others. It was cool to be recognizable but still off the beaten path.

Thanks so much for sharing the pattern source and your alterations to it! I just might make one!

Totally! Please make one. I'd love to see pictures if you do. It would pair nicely with fall/winter sweaters right now, too.

Awesome job! You always walk through your process so thoroughly, I love it!

Aww, thank you, Abbee! I love seeing process photos from other people, so I always try when I can. Glad you liked it!

The attention to detail in this is perfection. This is wonderful.

Thank you so much! It came out even better than I'd hoped. Here's the reference image I used for the patch, in case anyone wants it: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/714AAOSw9eVXUjrE/s-l300.jpg

This is the absolute best!

Yay! Thank you, T. I'm so glad you are all entertained along with me! Cheesy Y'all are my people. *hearts*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...