A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Weaving Experience - Placemat  (Read 264 times)
Tags for this thread: placement , weaving , family , travel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
roler
« on: November 08, 2019 12:26:59 AM »

On a recent trip to Yufuin with my parents, we went to a workshop to try weaving for the first time.  Basically the teacher set us up with some looms, showed us the basics, and then left the room and let us carry on!  We only did the absolute most basic things, but it was so fun and relaxing and hypnotic, I'm thinking of trying to find a weaving class or something that will let me occasionally come in to use their looms.

I know the edges are super wonky, but they actually don't bother me as much as I thought they might!
Behind my placemat, you can see the ones my parents made. We had a whole ton of colors to choose from, but Mom and Dad were both trying to match the kitchen decor from their house, so they used a similar color scheme.  I just went for whatever colors I felt like!

Here are a few progress photos with the looms because we had so much fun!  Since I've never done any weaving before, I have no idea if these looms are very different from ones in other countries. Are these distinctly Japanese somehow, or kinda universal?  No idea, but I had a great time!

I'm so lucky that my parents were willing to indulge my love of crafting workshops during their visit to Japan! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to PM me about personal swaps!  Hoopla, TM Patches, mug rugs, magnets, felt, ornaments, etc...

Proud member of Team Multimedia in the Nerd Games craftalong!!
calluna
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019 02:40:03 AM »

That's so cool; what a good idea to go try out a new crafty thing on a family vacation. And the end result is much more useful, memorable and beautiful than store-bought souvenirs! And such a cute family you are!
I hadn't considered weaving workshops before as an alternative to committing the money and house space weaving requires. It's really a smart thing to do. Now I'm definitely going to seek one out, especially seeing that you can get so much done in one visit.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019 02:40:44 AM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking photo or rubberstamp of a school of sardines crammed together facing the same way (much like people in a crowd)
PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator

Ooooo... Stickers!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019 05:26:02 AM »

Those are all so beautiful! I love that you did a crafty thing with your parents too. That's so sweet and you all look so happy! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
endymion
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019 05:39:38 AM »

Wow! Had no idea you could get so much done in one session. Lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/magnifisweets
www://craftcrossing.com
Improbable Bird Lady YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/tqHw31kMEsU
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019 05:51:36 AM »

You did such lovely work, I'm sure it was a fantastic experience.
I have terrible, terrible envy. This is a craft I am desperate to try, and equally if not additionally desperate to find a way to get my grubby mitts on a loom of my own (and a space to fit it!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

GryffinMaus

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019 08:21:22 AM »

Awesome!!! Love the colors you chose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019 12:23:06 PM »

BEAUTIFUL!  I love all this crafting time you're getting to share with your family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roler
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019 09:45:20 PM »

Thanks so much everyone! Including learning what to do and tying off the tassels at the end, it probably took me and Mom about three hours to make our placemats. Dad was really speedy though and finished about half an hour earlier!

Yeah, since this is my last year in Japan my parents wanted to help me do all the things Id never gotten around to. Obviously we couldnt do ALL the things but we sure covered a lot in three weeks! Now I just wonder if I can still convince them to do crafty workshops once Im living near them in WA again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to PM me about personal swaps!  Hoopla, TM Patches, mug rugs, magnets, felt, ornaments, etc...

Proud member of Team Multimedia in the Nerd Games craftalong!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...