A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
316 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chemise a la Reine  (Read 504 times)
Tags for this thread: chemise , costume , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
BenaeQuee
It's what I do, I drink and I sew things...

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2019 09:23:07 AM »

I made this Chemise from 8 yards of Cotton Voile, and used a silk dupioni from my stash for the waist sash and in the hair. I used a moire silk for the petticoat. Since it was going to be chilly that day, I also made a short cloak from a vintage heathered wool and a satin lining. I'm allergic to wool, so it had to be lined to avoid itching. I didn't really care if it wasn't period correct, so long as I was warm and comfortable.
The shoes and stays were already made by me several years ago, so it was nice to be able to use them again for another project. I styled a wig I had in my costume room from another project and added a silk sash, fabric flowers, and ostrich feathers. Jewelry was from my collection of antique pieces. It was refreshing to have something so light and airy to wear for a change.
There are more construction photos on my page here: http://imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/originalcreations/chemisealareine

The dress was draped on my form and channels for ties were added at the waist and neckline area. These were gathered into the correct size for my body and then the shoulder pieces were drafted. Once the shoulders were in place, I was able to add the neckline ruffle. This was a 3 yard piece, utilizing the selvage edge of the cotton voile, so that I would not need to hem that part. It was gathered and stitched to a silk ribbon, and then hand sewn to the neckline. It was done like this so I could remove it at a later date if I so chose.

The sleeves were then drafted and channels were sewn a few inches from the bottom edge. This would allow the bottom edge to form a ruffle effect when gathered and tied. Silk ribbons were used to tie the sleeves.

The sash was a silk dupioni that I had from a previous project. I bias cut it to be 6" wide by about 4 yards long. This way I could wrap it around my waist a few times and then tie a nice big bow. A vintage RS slide buckle was added to the front for a little bling.

I had to make a new petticoat for this particular dress. The one I made a few years ago was made to sit over side hoops and was the wrong shape under this dress. I was hanging significantly lower at the sides and peeking from under the dress. This was self drafted as two big rectangles that were then pleated into a waist band with silk ribbon ties added.

There is a bum pad under this dress, so the dress was hemmed based around that. I didn't want a train, as I didn't want to have to worry about picking it up all the time. The dress was made and then allowed to hang for 2 weeks to let the fabric stretch and settle. I then leveled the dress form to one inch higher than I would be in the shoes that would be worn with this. It was carefully marked all along the edge for where the bottom ruffle would be. I made an almost 10 yard piece for the bottom ruffle. It was first baby roll hemmed, and then a gathering stitch was made across the top. I gathered the entire length by hand, carefully pinning it to the dress as I went. It was sewn to the dress and then the excess fabric from the dress itself was cut away with pinking shears. Another line of stitching was added to help secure everything inside.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019 09:50:30 AM by BenaeQuee - Reason: link fix » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my FB page for more things by me Cheesy
https://www.facebook.com/BenaeQueeCostumer
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019 11:21:40 AM »

AH-MAZING!  It gets better and better with each picture!  You are stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019 11:26:47 AM »

Magnificent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 77
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019 12:34:47 PM »

This is AMAZING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Contact me personally:
  Personal Crafty Chat Group on Facebook
  Craft Stars Fundraiser
EriChanHime
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019 02:20:42 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the details and progress shots. The wig completes the look so perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
Averia
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019 03:54:31 AM »

So very beautiful, appreciate all the details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BelleBeryl
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019 02:34:39 AM »

Fabulous! Lovely silk sash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019 08:01:21 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured ProjectSmiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're always welcome to visit my blog.

Long live Craftster!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/craftster/
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

GryffinMaus

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019 08:19:33 AM »

Well everyone else can just go home, lol. This is STUNNING! So much work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TforOne

Art Teacher Extraordinaire!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019 05:31:54 PM »

It's beautiful! Very nicely done Smiley A bit jealous of your skills!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...