A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
250 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Deco Sushi  (Read 1090 times)
Tags for this thread: sushi , decorative , diy , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
roler
« on: October 23, 2019 01:10:22 AM »

I recently went to a deco sushi class, and it was SO FUN!  My parents and I each made two types of cute deco sushi, one with a plum blossom pattern, and one with adorable tanuki faces.  It took about three hours to finish both patterns, and even though we were all beginners, just by following directions we made amazing looking sushi that also tasted great!  Unfortunately this isn't exactly a recipe, mostly just pictures to show the process, but I should have the recipe we got SOMEWHERE, so once I find it I'll try to add it here!

First, here are some of my completed slices!

We started with the plum blossom pattern, which was surprisingly simple!

Our teacher had prepared our sushi rice (sticky rice with sweet vinegar) in advance, so that it was cooled to room temperature (but not in the fridge; she said that's a key point).  We mixed some sweet pink minced fish in with some of it, and measured out some balls on a scale to make the different parts. Then we wrapped five long tubes of the pink rice in nori to make the petals (my garden eel Kicchu is posing with some of these photos).

Measured out ingredients:

Kicchu spreading out the pink on a sheet of nori to roll up into a petal (scissors are just for him to stick on as a magnet, not used for the sushi!):

Rolling one of the petal rolls, wetting the edge with water to seal it (that's my dad in the background):

Then we stuck all the petal rolls around a center of stick cheese, and put stalks of pickled greens around the edges, and rolled all that up together in a big fat roll to make this:

...which we then cut to make this!

It's important to wipe down the knife and wet the blade with water between each slice, so you don't mess up the pretty cross section.
I was so excited at how perfectly these turned out!  The pickles, cheese, and sweet fish also went really well with the vinegared rice.  They were very tasty!

On to the next one!  This pattern is for a cute cartoonish tanuki, or raccoon dog.  They're often depicted wearing leaves on their heads as little rain hats, so that's included in the design too.  Here are the ingredients after we cut stuff, and mixed and measured the rice:

The brown rice includes katsuo furikake (a rice topping made of smoked tuna flakes) and ground white sesame, and the black-ish rice contains ground black sesame.  Up above you can see a small bologna sausage, a cucumber, stick cheese, and a pickled burdock root.

Next came some rather complicated wrapping, some bits with no rice at all, just nori around the other ingredients. It was time consuming, but not at all difficult as long as you had detailed directions (or a nice teacher coaching you along!).

When we finally cut into this one (sometimes cleaning the knife more than once for each slice 'cause it was so thick!), we got this!

At this point the eyes were just white cheese, and looked a little scary, so last we used smiley face hole punches (made specifically for making cute food) to cut eyes and mouths out of more nori, and decorated the faces!

So here's the whole set that I made myself!  And my parents' were just as cute!

This was a really fantastic class (Cooking Studio Colore in Osaka if anyone's interested) that I would wholeheartedly recommend!  The tanuki sushi tasted amazing as well!  I will try to find the actual recipes to share later too.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019 01:12:45 AM by roler » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to PM me about personal swaps!  Hoopla, TM Patches, mug rugs, magnets, felt, ornaments, etc...

Proud member of Team Multimedia in the Nerd Games craftalong!!
storerboughtcreations
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019 01:30:19 AM »

Roler, this is super cute! I'm glad you had so much fun while your parents visited. I look forward to Skyping and hearing about your adventures soon. Smiley

Btw, the "hats" on your tanuki are freaking adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoyfulClover
Live long and prosper

Peace and long life

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019 03:17:46 AM »

I love you did this with your parents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Averia
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019 04:19:48 AM »

These are adorable! And great job documenting the process
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inselaeffchen
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019 05:40:44 AM »

As I said before, they're amazing, Roler!

I'm planning on making my very first own Sushi soon, hopefully with M's help. Cute sushi would probably help keeping her attention. Smiley

Thanks for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gozer
If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019 09:00:47 AM »

These are absolutely amazing and so cute! I love seeing your Dad! I bet they were yummy too, even though I would hate to eat that adorable little bear! He's too cute.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019 10:56:08 AM »

I love these! They look tasty and so sweet. Thank you for the progress photos. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019 01:13:22 PM »

How fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019 05:03:06 PM »

Wow.  That is flippin' amazing!  It would be so hard to eat something so cute... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019 08:37:50 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're always welcome to visit my blog.

Long live Craftster!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/craftster/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...