A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
332 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 10/20/19 - HUGE News for Craftster!  (Read 4110 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2019 07:55:15 PM »

Hi, all!  We have some big news to share!  Well, actually, TWO big pieces of news!

Over the last week, you may have noticed we've been testing through various parts of the site.  As of this weekend, the changes are officially in-progress!

1)  We are retiring our FOC (Friends of Craftster) and FFOC (Fanatic Friends of Craftster) subscription options.
2)  We are also retiring the on-site Craftster merchandise shop.

Why are we retiring the FOC program and Craftster merch shop?

On January 1, 2020, the CCPA goes into effect.  Craftster needs to be compliant with it prior to that date.

Huh?  What is the CCPA?  Calico Cats Parade Around?

Sadly, no cute calico cats will be hosting a parade. Cry  For a lengthy description, you can read all about it here.  The much shorter version is this.  Simply put, the CCPA will be the toughest data privacy law in the United States.  It's the big Kahuna of privacy laws.  Businesses either need to be in compliance, or pack up their bags and go home.  There is no leniency or grace with this bad boy.

We decided, instead of trying to bring the site as-is up to compliance and maintain the compliance, we would retire the only two areas of the site affected by it.  The two areas of Craftster are those that accept payment options -- the Membership Subscriptions (FOC) and Merchandise (the Craftster Shop).  By doing this, we will also be able to provide more of our members some exciting features.

But why now, if the CCPA doesn't go into affect until January?  Why the urgency?

Unfortunately, to retire these two areas, it's actually quite an undertaking behind the scenes! (insert sleepy emoji here)  These two changes will affect many links, graphics, memberships, newsletters, and more.  We also need time to submit to legal, Google, etc. That being said, it's still much less than would be affected, if we attempted to achieve and maintain ongoing CCPA compliance with these areas in existence.  And in the instance of CCPA, if you are found to not be in compliance at any point in time, it comes with monstrous fines.  That's a risk we just cannot take for our little home here! Smiley

So what does this mean for me as a member?

We are still working out a few longterm details, but I wanted to get a note up to the community ASAP.  I will update as I have more information available.  Reply to this thread, so you get notified of updates, too!

Cha, cha, cha, changes....

Merchandise Shop
  • The shop is officially closed.
  • IT started removing the links and graphics from around the website that linked to it.
  • We will be removing applicable links and graphics in the newsletters soon as well.
  • We will use all of our merchandise stock for prizes, giveaways and even more contests!! Kiss

FOC/FFOC
  • We will be opening some of the FOC features to the entire community in the future!  Woohoo!  We won't begin this phase until all of our current FOC subscriptions have first expired, though! Kiss  It's very important to me that our current FOC receive the full term of their subscriptions before the features are available to anyone else, and IB fully agrees! Smiley
  • The membership page for purchasing FOC subscriptions has been removed.  No new FOC can be purchased from this point forward.
  • The private FOC chat board is still available to current FOC! Smiley  We did not remove it.  We only removed the avenue to get there (the option to buy a new FOC membership).  In the future, we are still going to keep the private off-topic board, too!! Smiley  After all of our current FOC have expired, the private off-topic boards will be available to a member, if they are logged in + have posted a certain number of posts (much like signatures are only available to members who have posted previously).  We don't want the off-topic boards to be viewable to anyone who isn't a member here! Smiley  No lurkers. Cheesy
  • Current FOC can still turn off ads.  Again, we did not remove the feature, just the avenue to get there (the option to buy a new FOC membership).  I haven't received confirmation if this feature will remain available longterm or not.  Fortunately/unfortunately, ads are a source of income for many websites, and Craftster is not immune to it.  I will update when I have more information on this.
  • FOC was previously granted for Swap Angels, so we are working on a new reward system for those awesome volunteers!  If you have any suggestions, please reply with them here.  Maybe one of the pieces from our retired merchandise shop??  Would really love your input on this!
  • Our cute little profile icons and extra profile information will still be available.  We are currently working on these, so please don't panic, if yours are not appearing right now.
  • From your feedback, we are working on some BRAND NEW features that will be available to everyone!  I'm consuming epic amounts of coffee, and hope to have these available soon! Cheesy

As always, we thank you so much for your love and support.  We (literally) could not do Craftster without you.  If you have any questions, please drop them here or PM me directly.  Like I said, we are still working through some details, but will pass them along as we have them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Contact me personally:
  Personal Crafty Chat Group on Facebook
  Check out this Crafty Fundraiser
JoyfulClover
Live long and prosper

Peace and long life

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019 09:01:07 PM »

Thanks for the mass update, sweets.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019 07:41:31 AM by JoyfulClover - Reason: Self edit » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Averia
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019 06:15:09 AM »

So bummed - wish we had a little warning so we could make purchases that kept getting put off. Guess I have to start paying attention to contests Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer
If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019 06:57:31 AM »

I love the idea of giving out Craftster merch as prizes. I hope things will be okay without that income. I completely understand though. Let me know if I can help out in any way.  Smiley  Anything to keep this place running.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019 07:24:34 AM »

Change is always hard, but I know we can all move forward and keep Craftster the awesome site it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're always welcome to visit my blog.

Long live Craftster!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/craftster/
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019 08:11:08 AM »

Calico Cats Parade Around?
Cheesy

Thank you for keeping everyone updated and being transparent about what you know and don't know and most of all-thank you for being you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019 08:39:29 AM »

I'm only replying here to keep myself posted on any changes and also to play along with the acronym CCPA
my guess: California Canning Peach Association?

Thanks as always for the updates, look forward to the changes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019 08:59:15 AM »

So bummed - wish we had a little warning so we could make purchases that kept getting put off. Guess I have to start paying attention to contests Smiley

Yes, contests!! Smiley

Curious, which item(s) did you have your eyes on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Contact me personally:
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019 09:08:42 AM »

Thanks for the mass update, sweets.

Of course!

I love the idea of giving out Craftster merch as prizes. I hope things will be okay without that income. I completely understand though. Let me know if I can help out in any way.  Smiley  Anything to keep this place running.

Thank you!!

The merch shop hasn't been consistently profitable in a quite a few years due to the ever-increasing fees from the shop host.  We kept it limping along in hope, but it's hard to compete when people can make their own (isn't that ironic? Cheesy) or ask a friend with a Cricut to whip one up for them these days.

We'll keep chugging along!  The crafting must go on! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Contact me personally:
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019 10:03:48 AM »

Thanks for the updates!

I know I personally never angeled just to get FOC, it was just a perk! Sending something from the retired shop is a temporary solution since that stuff will run out! How about a handmade item or supply from the mods? Nothing extravagant or expensive. We could rotate turns. I know I personally have about 10 hoops with hand embroidery just sitting around! The angel doesnt get to pick a certain gift, more like you get what you get from whomevers turn it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...