A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Talisman Necklace & Asymmetrical Earrings  (Read 1037 times)
Tags for this thread: jewelry , crochet , necklace , pouch , mixed_media , fiber_jewelry , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2019 01:31:25 PM »

This was made for Powerhouseofthecell in the recent Fiber/Mixed Media Jewelry Swap.  While I do make a lot of jewelry, this was way outside my wheelhouse.  I loved that the swap forced me outside my comfort zone.  (Thanks sheepBlue!)  I also really enjoyed getting to use crochet in jewelry.  

There was no pattern that I followed.  I used a beading needle to string most of a small box of 'bead soup' onto it before I started, then I simply began crocheting.  I believe I chained 16, then started doing single crochet in both sizes of the chain, for a total of 30 stitched per row.  I didn't join at the end of each row, just continued in a spiral around to create the pouch.  The yarn is Premier Wool Free Sock Yarn, in the color Rainforest.  The beads came from a mix called Butter Tart I bumped into at Joanns.  I did a few rounds without beads to establish the base of the pouch, then I alternated doing a row of beads and a row without.  I tried alternating my beads with 2 small in a row, then 1 bigger, then 2 small again, so that when they are all piled together, the bigger ones have a bit more room to shine, with the smaller often hiding behind/under/beside them.

I also only beaded 1 side, so that it would be soft and smooth against either skin or clothing.  At the top I stopped doing single crochet for a stretch, and filled in chain stitches, then restarted single crochet, and went around again, up and over the sc stitches, so that I had a natural loop to close over the button I planned as a closure.  I did several rounds without beads to provide a flat surface to sew the button to.  The button was a Czech glass treasure that I received in a swap many years ago.  (Possibly from rackycoo?)  I have been hoarding since, waiting for the perfect project to use it on, and this was clearly it.

Once I had completed the pouch, instead of finishing off, I started chaining stitches, to create the necklace portion.  I think I did 2 chains, then a bead, then two more chains.  Once that was done, I cut the yarn, and started a new piece of necklace chain, without beads.  I made that piece the same length, before attaching it beside the first strand, then slip stitching over to the other side, and creating more chain, so that I would have 3 individual strands, that could be braided together.  I braided them loosely, then attached them on the other end, and added a few beads to each end, which you can see below.

After all that, I added a bit of fringe to the bottom, and filled the pouch with a few bits and bobs to protect Powerhouseofthecell on her journeys; a piece of seaglass (also a swap extra, from calluna!), an antique key, and a stamped lucky penny.  As I was packing up my swap package, I included the remaining beads, so Powerhouse could use them if she wanted to make a matching item.  I was literally writing that in her card, when I stopped, and dashed back over to my jewelry making area, to create a set of asymmetrical earrings for her to match the necklace.  

It was SO HARD to force myself to make a pair that were not identical!  Seriously, what should have been a 5 minute pair of earrings took more like 20, to get my right brain to get on board with my left brain.  

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019 10:17:19 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster on Facebook | HP Craftalong on FBCraftster on Reddit

#CraftsterFriendsForver #MoreThanACraftWebsite #CraftstersNeverSayDie
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019 02:38:54 PM »

This is super striking and very interesting to keep looking at.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 70
The Raging Sloth

Because Papier-Mache solves everything

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019 07:26:06 PM »

Gorgeous, Mistress Jennie! You did an amazing job. It looks magical and earthy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thank you Craftster Moderators, all the crafters, the swap organizers, and all the swap buddies and friends I've made! I love you all. If you want to contact me, my facebook art page is https://m.facebook.com/ragingslothcreations/
My instageam is Overzealousopossum (Chelydra serpentina)
endymion
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019 04:56:51 AM »

Wish Id seen that swap! This is an awesome piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/magnifisweets
www://craftcrossing.com
Improbable Bird Lady YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/tqHw31kMEsU
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019 05:16:03 AM »

AMAZING!! I keep looking at it over and over again seeing different things I like about it!
Fabulous job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019 05:24:42 AM »

The mix of beads and fiber is so you, and yet so fresh!! I hope we see more like this  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Powerhouseofthecell
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019 05:59:18 AM »

Im wearing my gorgeous new necklace and earrings at school today! I love everything.  Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Im up for personal swaps. Smiley
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019 08:01:39 AM »

Awww!  That's wonderful!  Also, love your sweater.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster on Facebook | HP Craftalong on FBCraftster on Reddit

#CraftsterFriendsForver #MoreThanACraftWebsite #CraftstersNeverSayDie
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

GryffinMaus

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019 09:03:21 AM »

This is so awesome! And I never would have thought you crocheted with the beads already on the yarn! I thought you sewed them all on afterwards. Mind. Blown.

I am also laughing at you struggling to do an asymmetrical pair of earrings. I can so see that, haha.

And it looks great on you, powerhouse!!! Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019 09:04:32 AM by Abbeeroad » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019 10:57:21 AM »

Fanfreakingtastic!!! I love everything about the necklace and those earrings!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...