A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,891
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrappy triple zip up pouch  (Read 445 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2019 04:56:23 AM »

I came across this tutorial for finishing this nifty triple zip pouch and tried out the pattern to create these rainbow creations which I thought turned ok. In that link you'll see another pouch where I altered the pattern slightly and that gave me ideas I'm still working on but in the meantime I changed some other things and came up with this:

It still has 3 zippers but there is one on each side to reduce bulk.

And funky pocket lining, of course!

Finished measurements are 10X7"

If you review the two links at the start of this post, you will see great construction photos that are very similar to what I've done here, check them out if any of my instructions are not clear enough. And feel free to comment with questions or suggestions to make things more clear.

I started with 3 9" zippers and 6 rectangles of fabric to cover the ends, sized 2.5X2.5". They are folded around the zipper and stitched across:

Then the zipper ends are trimmed, the fabric is folded down and pressed flat.

The body of the bag is as follows:
2 pieces 11X2.25"
1 piece 11X9.5"
These pieces have fusible fleece applied to the wrong side of the fabric but a stiff fusible interfacing might be enough if you haven't got the fleece.

Also needed is fabric for pocket lining.
2 pieces 11X8.5
1 pieces 11X14"

Step 1, sandwich a zipper between the main body fabric and one of the smaller pocket liners, zipper teeth facing towards the larger piece of fabric as seen.

Pin right sides together with the zipper between, stitch with a zipper foot with a 1/4" seam.

Turn, press and edge stitch as shown, you don't have to do this edge stitching but the fleece is thick and I found it kept things flat. If you are making something really colourful you can use a coordinating thread here.

Fold the pocket lining fabric up to the top of the zipper and sandwich the zipper between it and one of the smaller pieces of outer fabric as shown. Pin and stitch with 1/4" seam allowance.

Turn the outer bag piece up and press. I could not manage a nice looking edge stitch here because the seam allowance and the bulk of the fleece made things too thick to catch with stitches so I've left it off at this point. If you think it looks uneven, you can increase your seam allowance slightly so there is enough fabric to edge stitch.

Now turn the piece around and apply another zipper and pocket combo on the opposite edge by repeating the steps.

For the largest pocket, apply the zipper in the same manner, sandwiched between the outer bag pieces and the lining fabric.

When you have sandwiched the second side of the zipper between the bag front and lining, you will have an inside out pouch that resembles this:

Pin the sides together evenly taking care to fold the fabric covering the zipper ends towards the main body of the bag and away from the lining as shown.

Sew the sides closed, leaving a gap large enough to turn right side out.

I boxed the corners very slightly but it is an optional step.

Turn right side out, use a ladder stitch to close the gap in the lining, press well and VOILA!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019 03:30:31 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019 06:00:20 AM »

WOW! Thanks so much for such a thorough tutorial. I'm pinning it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 67
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019 06:37:21 AM »

Awesome little pouches!  Thank you for the lovely tutorial dear.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019 07:48:02 AM »

Love this pouch and all of its funky fabrics. You have the world's best fabric stash, I'm sure! Thanks for sharing the awesome tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019 08:40:18 AM »

Thank you! Awesome picture tutorial. I like your method of putting the smaller pouch zippers on opposite sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Be kind to yourself

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019 12:38:42 PM »

Great tutorial! Well done
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
endymion
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019 08:00:50 PM »

So cute! And thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/magnifisweets
www://craftcrossing.com
Improbable Bird Lady YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/tqHw31kMEsU
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019 06:25:59 AM »

Thanks, friends Smiley.

I hope somebody will make one & give me feedback on the pattern. I usually wing it so actually measuring is out of the usual for me, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...