A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,822
Currently Running With Scissors:
309 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plant Station & Traveling Chest  (Read 685 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
appledainty
« on: September 12, 2019 10:37:05 AM »

My Mom gave me this old wooden chest that she got for $10 in Alaska sometime in the 1970s. It used to be a stained a brown color, but the stain had worn off in a lot of spots and was generally pretty dodgy. My husband stripped and sanded the old stain, and we discovered that the chest was made of different kinds of woods for different parts of the chest. So, instead of staining it a different color, I just put a white wash over it.

I wanted it to be a kind of tribute to Terry Pratchett's discworld books, as a reference to The Luggage. It doesn't have lots of tiny feet and isn't sapient, but we put some Discworld stickers on it and whenever we visit someplace new we add more stickers to it. Once it's sufficiently covered in stickers I'll probably put a coat of sealer over the top.

It also serves as a plant station. I seem to kill most plants I encounter, except for orchids. I keep my orchids in a glass house and apothecary jar, water them when they're dry, give them plant food every so often, and they seem to be doing well. In the winter, I'll replace the bulb in the lamp with a grow bulb so they stay warm and get some extra sun, since the days are really short here in the winter. The lamp itself is an eBay find; I found similar ones in the local stay and on Wayfair, but they were outside my budget.

And a bonus picture of my cat with the plants and windows.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019 10:38:34 AM by appledainty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019 11:24:36 AM »

Very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mixedpibbles

Full Time Granny

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019 07:27:39 AM »

Awesome chest andI love the way you did the orchids. They are the only plants besides a cactus that I cant kill.

Where did you get the big glass jar?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
appledainty
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019 07:29:28 AM »

Awesome chest andI love the way you did the orchids. They are the only plants besides a cactus that I cant kill.

Where did you get the big glass jar?

I got it from a home decorating/gift type store in Savannah, GA when I was in college. So, 2007-2009? Somewhere in there. I've seen some similar ones in Michael's recently, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019 05:23:42 PM »

Utterly distracted by that comfy looking room. I had to go back to see what you were highlighting there. Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019 07:31:58 AM »

You have added so many nice touches to your house! Now I want to go get a cloche for my orchid. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes
Meal Prep Monday: Fish Tacos with Green Sauce

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...