A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,783
Currently Running With Scissors:
318 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitchen Cabinet Revamp, Caffeination Station & Bonus Plate Rack  (Read 150 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
appledainty
« on: September 11, 2019 09:39:15 AM »

I was a busy bee the last few months working on projects in my kitchen. I wanted to at least get all of the cabinets painted before my Mom and Aunts visited last month, and I managed to finish reinstalling the last cabinet door a few hours before my Mom's flight arrived. Had her flight arrived on time, I might not have gotten it done in time, hahaha.

I started out with dingy 20 year old yellow-white melamine, and used a rustoleum paint kit made specifically for painting cabinets like mine. I ended up supplementing with additional paint and benjamin moore sealer because the sealer that came with my kit was contaminated with weird black speckles, but rustoleum refunded me for the cost of the kit which ended up covering the additional purchases of sealer. We also added new brassy door knobs, which my husband picked out because the design reminds him of shields and he likes playing a paladin in games.

I also added some extra storage conveniences. First, we converted the panel in front of our sink into a tip out drawer.

We use it for sponges. It just keeps the sink area tidy ish (when we have guests anyways; otherwise we're kind of sloppy). The instructions for installing the tip out were really awful and it took us three hours to do. I ended up gorilla gluing the handle on the front when we couldn't get the screws the handle came with the drill through the panel.

Next, I added some sliders from IKEA to my pantry

Last, we added a plate rack in my open cabinet, and a pan hanger across the top of it. I love being able to store our plates vertically.

I also cleaned, added new knobs, organized and decorated my baker's rack, turning it into a Caffeination Station. The knobs match the ones on our cabinet and island drawers. The baker's rack was originally my Mom's; she got it for $20 at a yard sale in Florida. When I moved to Canada, she gave it to me. Smiley It has rusty legs and is missing a rack, but I feel like that gives it character. I tried to remove the rust at first, but it seemed to cause more harm than good so I desisted.

The Dalek caffeinate print is from artist autogeography on Etsy. I have no connection with them, I just liked the print and through it would be nice for our caffeination station. Cheesy I've been trying to add tastefully nerdy things around the place, but I don't want to to lean to hard into nerd decor in case it becomes gaudy - at least not on the main level of the house. The basement knows no such rules. The round apple basket was a gift from my Mom, and the apple sugar bowl was a Christmas gift from an old roommate in college. I also have some cherry tea canisters that I got from Teavana and baskets we got from the dollarama.

As a bonus, my husband put together this IKEA plate rack for me and we hung it together. I bought it specifically to display our Studio Ghibli fine china that we bought during our honeymoon in Japan, although it also holds coffee mugs.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019 11:38:00 AM by appledainty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019 10:17:54 AM »

This is gorgeous! Way to rock a kitchen update. I also store my plates vertically, and I LOVE it! Makes it easier to grab, and it helps me use them on a more frequent rotation. Love the Studio Chibli china. Wink I have a display of tiny cherry blossom tea cups and saucers that I got at the 100 Yen store when I lived in Japan, and they're just so darn cute!

I like the look of the IKEA sliders, and will have to consider that for my oddly shaped pantry. I know it needs a major overhaul, but I'm not sure what to do yet. Looking at your project was very inspiring! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019 11:30:10 AM »

What a lovely kitchen update!  It make me want to stop by for tea and a visit.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019 05:29:46 PM »

Looks fresh and also inviting. Nicely done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Potholders!
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...