A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
259 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby Carrots the Mini-Pinata  (Read 871 times)
Tags for this thread: pinata , miniature , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
EriChanHime
« on: August 28, 2019 08:43:02 AM »

My nearby library branch started an evening craft night once a month over the summer, and my first opportunity to go was a tiny pinata night! They have all the supplies available, a basic set of instructions, and some volunteers who have already tried the projects. Then you just sit around chatting and crafting, and it's lovely!

Here's the table all set out for us to choose our patterns and supplies, and then the items that I selected. I went with a green and cream theme (I didn't end up using the gold in the picture; the final pinata seemed small enough I didn't want to overwhelm it with color changes).

We made the pinata bases out of recycled cardboard boxes; mine started life as a rice crispy treat package! Wink After tracing mirror images of the pattern I chose, I cut a bunch of tiny masking tape bits and some long strips of softer cardboard and began taping it in a "wall" around the edge of the shape outline.

Once I finished taping the first side all the way around, I laid the other flat piece along the outline "wall" and taped it down, as well. Now he looks like a little donkey! The result was surprisingly sturdy.

I chose the donkey shape because, as a child, I fell in love with a tiny donkey pinata at our local HEB (Texas grocery store chain) that was part of a Cinco de Mayo display. I would visit him every time we went to the store, and at the end of the display period, I sweet-talked my way into getting to take that pinata home! He's still hanging in my room at my parents' house (not where I live, but I visit often). I named him Carrots, after a little donkey from a PBS kids' show in the late 80's.

To make his pinata outfit, I wrapped several inches of crepe paper around my hand, pulled it off, and cut the resulting tube in half along the width. Then I put both halves on top of each other for faster cutting, and snipped fridge all along the length. Then, using white school glue and a tongue depressor for spreading, I began wrapping and gluing the fridge all around him. I did his legs individually, then wrapped his body, then his head all the way to his ears. For his back and the very top of his ears, I cut short widths of fridge and glued them down like overlapping roof shingles.

And here is the circle of happy donkeys that we all made, as well as the original demo-donkey (who was apparently many years old!). Grin

Me with Baby Carrots the Mini-Pinata (to show scale, yes, but also the unbridled glee this tiny thing inspires in me)!

And finally, Baby Carrots in his new home, where he apparently perfectly matches a painting I did for my Grandmother! I wasn't thinking of this when I picked his colors, but it is a happy accident. Wink

Overall, I thought this was a well-selected craft for adults to complete in the 2-hour block allotted. Kids could easily do it, too, but it would take longer, and probably require some help with the fringe wrapping steps. Overall, I had a wonderful time making him, and I'm absolutely tickled pink with the final result. Cheesy I highly recommend these!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019 08:54:52 AM by EriChanHime » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019 07:52:16 AM »

So freakin' cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019 08:05:30 AM »

I must make one! He is so darn cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

endymion
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019 05:30:01 PM »

Its adorable! Thanks for showing the in-progress shots, as well as the other participants creations. Sounds like it was a lot of fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/magnifisweets
www://craftcrossing.com
Improbable Bird Lady YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/tqHw31kMEsU
EriChanHime
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019 08:40:39 AM »

So freakin' cute!

Thank you! *giggles* It's true. I am so surprisingly pleased with how this worked out, and it makes me smile every time I walk by and see him sitting on my shelf.

I must make one! He is so darn cute!

Thanks! Yes, do it! It's not hard at all, just a little fiddly, and you can always make different animals as you like. Just Google simple line art, and have at it. And don't forget to show us!

What a fun project - one stylish pinata!

Thank you! He is definitely enjoying the attention he gets around the house. Wink

Its adorable! Thanks for showing the in-progress shots, as well as the other participants creations. Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Thank you! And yes, absolutely. It was a great project, and I loved how everyone approached it a little differently, and had different levels of crafting confidence, but in the end, everyone's little pinata was adorable and unique. I always enjoy looking at project pictures, so I try when I can! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019 08:41:29 AM by EriChanHime » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019 06:40:54 PM »

Ack! So cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 80
EriChanHime
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019 09:56:22 AM »

Grin Thank you, TheMistressT. *snicker* That's still my basic reaction whenever I walk by him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LucyF7
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019 05:27:51 AM »

I just love mini pinatas. Carrots is a wonderful name for your creation.

Lucy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ErinAquaheart
Surviving ccancer through crafting

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019 12:10:30 PM »

Too cute! I think that maybe having these as Christmas ornaments would be fun to make and see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EriChanHime
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019 01:27:16 PM »

I just love mini pinatas. Carrots is a wonderful name for your creation.

Lucy

Thank you, Lucy! He's full of sweet childhood associations. Smiley

Too cute! I think that maybe having these as Christmas ornaments would be fun to make and see!

Thanks! You're so right. Never thought about it, but they would be a good size for Christmas ornaments. It would be easy to glue a ribbon loop on for hanging, or you could use a long needle (like for assembling plush dolls) to sew up through the bottom, make a loop, and then come back down and finish off with a tassel or some cute beads.

We'll see if I have the energy to turn out another one before Christmas. You never know! Grin
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019 01:27:57 PM by EriChanHime » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...