A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
240 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need recommendations for multi-medium arts and crafts and supplies  (Read 156 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
StarshineSeeker
« on: August 20, 2019 09:14:17 AM »

Greetings,

I am looking for the best supplies for painting on glass, CDs / DVDs, rocks and other mediums. I am new to all of this.

For reference, here are a few YouTube videos of what I am interested in doing. In the description section of these YouTube videos, materials are listed. However they appear to be only available in India. I am looking for the American equivalent of these materials.

Here are the YouTube links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaJufM5W7tI&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKA4O_cEFpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA8bVjJ2-_w

Below is a list of materials I believe that I need (what do you recommend as the best for these materials that I can purchase in the United States?) Are there any other materials that are not listed below that I need? I have already looked in Joann Fabrics and Michaels. There wasn't much help there. Also, only individual paint colors are available in these stores. I'd prefer to get a multi-color pack. I am willing to buy from a reputable online company.

Glass paints - multi colors
Glass liners (for painting the shapes / edges to be filled in) - multi colors
Modge Podge - or something else to cover the paint once it is dry to protect it and / or make it more glossy
Paint brushes for glass paints, watercolors, for painting on rocks (what type of paint is best for painting on rocks?)

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help that you can provide.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019 07:00:15 AM »

Well, I can think of better places to get materials than Michaels and Joanns - unless you have a coupon.  I find that they price things up on basic supplies.  Sometimes I get my paints from art supply stores, especially around sales (beginning of school year, late Spring/early summer, Christmas sales) when they have more sales - especially those near art colleges.  Many companies have a starter pack of basic colours and/or mediums - I think I got a 36 pack of small tubes of acrylics from Pebeo early on - a little can go a long way.  Then I picked up individual colours as they go on sale.  Probably acrylics may suit your needs if you are just talking decorating items.  Don't go with cheap dollar store paints - yes they are cheap, but the quality is poor - not a lot of pigment.  If this is something you love to do and have a passion for, spend the money on some good quality (at least student quality) basics and add as you go along.  I do love Golden, Liquitex, Pebeo, and Amsterdam myself, and sometimes some art store store brands are pretty good too.  I am not married to any one brand - I go by the colours I like, what I need, and what is a good deal often.

If you want to make something decorative that can handle rough handling or the weather - then see if you can find an exterior acrylic paint - it has harder binders and would be more durable to the elements.  Some of the craft paints are specifically designed to go on multiple types of surfaces.

If you want something functional that may have to be washed or used, then there are paints that are specific to glass/porcelain that are meant to be more durable - but not necessarily food safe.  I have used Pebeo Porcelaine or Vitreil for glass/ceramic/pots, etc - they cure with time or heat. 

I use mod podge for decoupage and mixed media, but not necessarily for finishing a piece - there are also spray on finishes, or brush on finishes too - it depends what your art medium is and what your intended use is.  Mod Podge does make an outdoor version of their product too - I have not used it myself.  If you are putting rocks outside for example, no matter how good your finish is, time and the exposure to the elements will wear away at the finish and the art no matter what.  If you want a shiny perfect finish, a few coats of a thin spray maybe what you want.  If you want to preserve something for longer, maybe a more durable finish like a resin may be something to consider.  I made a new sign for my house, using painted wood, and because I wanted it to last as long as possible, I poured a thick layer of resin over all sides, to cover all edges.

I have not bought from them myself, as I have some decent sources for materials, but Dick Blick seems to be a decent on-line supplier in the US.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...