A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
279 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet cactus in a cup, with pattern/photo tutorial  (Read 211 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2019 10:44:38 AM »

I promised I'd work on a cactus pattern to share and though I'm not great at reading or writing patterns, I think this photo tutorial should be easy enough to follow for a moderately skillful crocheter.

This example is based on an actual sort of cactus, the Mammillaria "Lady Finger". They are usually spiky and I'm not certain they bloom but this one is topped with purple and yellow flower because why not?

I found attaching flowers to finished cactus bodies was a bit of pain that necessitated hot glue so I figured out a way to incorporate them right into the design of the cactus itself.
Crochet the magic ring with 6 stitches, slip stitch to close and chain one to begin the next row. Stitch 2 single crochet in each stitch for a total of 12. Slip stitch to close the circle. You can cut and tie off your ends if you'd like but they manage to stay quite secure without tying if you hold them tightly in place as you stitch the flower petals around the centre.

Pull up a different colour of yarn through the FRONT LOOP only of one stitch and single crochet...

...then chain 2-3 stitches depending on how long you'd like the petals of the flower to be. Turn, slip stitch into the second chain from the hook and each additional single crochet in the chain, then slip stitch into the front loop only of the next stitch of the centre circle. Continue this pattern all the way round the centre circle.

Cut the yarn, pull out the loop, bring the hook up through the first purple stitch and pull the cut yarn end through to the back where you can tie it off.

Now, depending on whether you'd like the stitches showing on the body of the cactus to be front or back (there's a slight visual difference, see photos below) you can either insert the hook through the back loops of the edge of the centre circle like this:

or like this:

Here's what the right side out looks like:

And inside out:

To make the body of the cactus, stitch 2 single crochet into each of the back loops of the centre circle, slip stitch to finish the first round. Do not chain a stitch here, you are going to start crocheting in a spiral. Stitch one single crochet in the first stitch, 2 single crochet crochet in the second stitch, and continue that pattern all the way around the second row. Each subsequent row will be 1 single crochet into each stitch until the body of the cactus is as tall as you want it to be. Slip stitch to close leaving a long tail to sew the cactus to the dirt, pull the cut end through the loop and pull to tighten.

My flower wanted to curl up like this:

You can either stitch or glue each petal to the body of the cactus to hold it open, or you can dilute a little bit of white glue in water, soak the flower and set it face down on a piece of waxed paper or non-stick crafting mat to dry. It will stay stiff and open after that.

For the dirt you can crochet a flat circle of yarn to fit the pot you are "planting" the cactus in. I used a very thick yarn so I could make it in just a few rounds and also added a bit of side by double crocheting around into the back loop only (I also decreased 3-4 times around to make it tapered like a plant pot). Felt or fabric can be used as well. Then stuff the cactus shape and stitch it to the dirt using the long tail of yarn you left.
I stuffed the pot with crumpled up tissue paper then hot glued around the edge of the dirt circle to secure it well.

Please let me know if you spot any errors or confusing directions and I'll amend the pattern. And of course please share any cactus you make using these instructions Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019 08:20:16 AM »

Cute cactus and very well done photo tutorial! Thanks! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019 06:31:37 PM »

You are the Crocheted Cacti Queen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 48
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...