A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,581
Currently Running With Scissors:
268 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Eel Haiku  (Read 395 times)
Tags for this thread: haiku , eel , paper_art  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
roler
« on: August 08, 2019 08:54:00 AM »

This one's a little silly, but I'm actually really pleased with how it turned out so I'm gonna share it anyway. Smiley 

This was another item for Gish (goofy annual international scavenger hunt game/charity event).  The assignment was to write a haiku about an animal on the IUCN Red List, along with a drawing or origami version of the animal.  (one of the least absurd Gish items ever!)

I figured since they were asking for Japanese art forms, I may as well do it in Japanese!  I composed the (very, very informal, to the point of silliness) haiku myself, but this beautiful penmanship was actually done by the teacher at the giant calligraphy workshop I attended during Gish week!  She was SO kind to humor me and write this out!  Haiku normally include specific words referencing the seasons and have other rules as well, but I only followed the 5-7-5 syllables rule.

The haiku reads:
Unagi-chan
Zetsumetsu kiki ya
Yabai nen

Or roughly:
Little eel
Endangered
Oh sh**!  (Or "yikes," or "oh no!" or any number of other possible translations)

It's also in the Osaka dialect, because that's what I speak. Smiley

After I took my notebook home with the haiku in the teacher's amazing handwriting, I drew some eels with some brush pens and scrapbooked it all together on some Japanese paper.  The eel decoration posing in the corner of this photo is also hand made, but not by me (and it's made out of sacks used in the sake distilling process, which is pretty awesome!).

I chose the Japanese eel (nihon unagi) for this project because I adore eels, mostly because of my silly eel plushie photo blog, https://www.instagram.com/katsuyukimoray .  I hope the Gish judges like this as much as I do!  By the way, while the Japanese eel is a species of concern, its numbers ARE increasing due to human effort to conserve them!  Hooray!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to PM me about personal swaps!  Hoopla, TM Patches, mug rugs, magnets, felt, ornaments, etc...

Proud member of Team Multimedia in the Nerd Games craftalong!!
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019 08:57:27 AM »

This rocks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019 09:13:07 AM »

Love this haiku and project! The red floral paper really draws my eye in and those little drawings are adorable!

But now I feel guilty for eating unagi sushi  Undecided Is it one type of eel that is endangered? And is it a different/un-endangered eel served in sushi restaurants? I've started skipping salmon because I heard their numbers are depleting... anyway, sorry to sidetrack your awesome craft! I can do my own research before eating out again  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look for me under Reinikka if/when Craftster is reborn

My Pintrest

Blogging again
EriChanHime
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019 11:28:26 AM »

This is so cute it almost hurts. The calligraphy is beautiful and you've set it off very well with the black border and red paper. BUT THE EEEEEEEEEEEEELS! Cheesy Seriously, those are precious. Excellent brushstroke work. Also, your photo blog is adorable. I was looking at it yesterday. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019 03:06:39 PM »

Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019 05:10:12 PM »

Ack! This is so cute, I can hardly even stand it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
roler
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019 11:27:28 PM »

Thanks so much, everyone!  Glad people like it even though it's so goofy Smiley

kartiana, it is the nihon unagi (Conger eel) that's on the list, but it's currently a species of least concern and actually increasing in population right now, thankfully!

EriChanHime, so glad you like the photo blog!  It's actually a pretty major hobby for me, lol.  I usually update it several times a day but have been falling a bit behind lately.  I hope to start posting more regularly again next week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to PM me about personal swaps!  Hoopla, TM Patches, mug rugs, magnets, felt, ornaments, etc...

Proud member of Team Multimedia in the Nerd Games craftalong!!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Be kind to yourself

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019 02:02:45 AM »

This is brilliant!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...