A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,845
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft a Craftster Friend Doll: Plants and Sunshine - Mini-Gigglygirl!  (Read 567 times)
Tags for this thread: art_doll , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
EriChanHime
« on: August 06, 2019 10:54:33 AM »

I made this lovely little lady as part of the Craft a Craftster Friend Doll Swap this summer. This is Mini-gigglygirl. I learned (among other things) that she loves plants/gardening, and songbirds, and colorful outfits with fun accessories, and always wears jewelry!

I spent a long time deciding what kind of doll base I wanted to use, as I wanted the finished doll to be nicely drape-y like a traditional rag doll, but with some extra pose-ability and body definition. In the end, after experimenting with modifying patterns, drawing my own patterns, and looking at patterns on Etsy, I realized I kept going back to the Cupcake Doll pattern on Ghilies website (https://ghilie.wordpress.com/tutorials/) -- this is the same Ghilie who originated the popular Poppets pattern!

I loved this doll patterns compact size, cuddly proportions, and interesting jointing/limb structure. Also, I knew from the get-go that I wanted to embroider the face, and the fact that the head pattern did not have a mid-line seam was useful for this. After printing the pattern at a few different sizes, I went with the original scale, which gives a finished doll ~11 tall. I personally like to use unbleached muslin for dolls meant to be in a standard Caucasian skin range.

The first construction step I did was to print the pattern, and then trace the face front piece onto my muslin and draw out the facial features/hair line I wanted--I used a mix of pencil and water soluble marker for this. I embroidered the face fully and then erased the marker lines completely. Her eye outlines are done in stem stitch, her irises/pupils and lips are done in satin stitch, her eyebrows are varied-length rows of back-stitch, and her nose is whipped back-stitch. When I was done, I held the embroidered piece up to a strong work light, and then covered it with the back pattern piece to decide how I wanted everything to line up.

This is the first time Ive ever tried freezer paper pattern tracing and assembly (as the doll pattern pieces have no seam allowance). It worked surprisingly well, and I think I will use this method again for other small dolls and similar size plushies. I definitely spent time fighting with a zipper foot, as each leg and arm is stuffed up to the first joint, then sewn across to provide a flex-point, then stuffed the next bit of the way, sewn across again, etc. Trying to stuff each section full enough while still leaving myself room to sew involved a lot of weird squishing and pinning, but I loved the end results!

Her body is a great blend of squishy/pose-able, and she cooperates fully with a simple stand from the hobby store. This is also the first doll Ive done with a hidden button joint using buried shank buttons, but its a lovely technique that I will definitely use again! Given what I had in my stash in the right size, this girl has hidden hearts in her shoulders. Wink Somehow I forgot to take detailed pictures of this step; Im blaming it on trying to juggle all the pieces and not lose the button somewhere in her arm stuffing.

I also remembered to sign this one (in an inconspicuous spot); this is something Im trying to become consistent about. I always appreciate when art dolls and similar projects that I receive have a hidden tag or signature of some kind so that years from now I will always remember who made it for me, so I try to do the same. Smiley

I waffled several times on how to add hair, as gigglygirl said she had wavy brown hair. I suddenly remembered a tutorial I saw in the early 2000s on DeviantArt for making realistic fur animal tails out of acrylic yarn. IT WORKED! I was super stoked. One wire wig brush and a PILE of brushed out fluff later, I had 10 perfect, wavy hair wefts to use.

I drew the dolls hairline lightly with a pencil, ever so slightly inside where I wanted it to end. Then, I snipped apart the wefts and used heavy craft glue, fingers, toothpicks, and sheer moxie to stick the things to her head. I wove a few around each other to finish off the front of her hairline. Drying overnight was sufficient to hold everything in place, although she looked a bit like shed gotten friendly with an electrical socket

After a gentle brushing, she looked much calmer and more put together. Also, the hair is totally style-able, as long as youre not crazy with it. She had a pin bun for a bit while I worked on her clothes and jewelry.

For clothing, I wanted something that included the colors that my partner mentioned liking, and I found an absolutely perfect fabric in my stash. This is a cutting from a torn aloha shirt (Hawaiian shirt) that used to belong to my Grandpa. It is 100% silk, and had a huge rip in it, and Ive been saving it for something special. I made the sundress by cutting out sections of the print that I liked and then doing some pin draping and fluffing. After machine assembly, I used a length of matching embroidery floss to give it decorative straps and a lace-up back. Even though shes technically an art doll, I wanted her clothes to be fully removable.

Since gigglygirl is up north, I figured she needed a cute wrap to go with her sun dress. I crocheted a little shawl based on the Virus Shawl pattern, done in pink thread I had left over from a project I did years ago. Im not a pink person, so it was just hanging out waiting for the right project/person.

I used a colored Sharpie to paint on her little shoes and then embroidered the flowers on the front with a lazy daisy stitch and continental knot centers. I also added a little memory label to the bottom of the doll stand!

I made her jewelry by hand using jewelry pins, loose pearl beads, jump rings, and a tiny length of chain Id been saving from an actual necklace. This is the first time Ive ever pierced a dolls ears! I used a kitchen awl to wiggle a hole in the right spot without tearing the fabric and then threaded each jump ring with the pearl charms through the hole and used jewelry pliers to close them in her ears. It worked perfectly, and I would totally do this again for doll-sized earrings!

To represent her love of gardening/plants, I decided she needed a little bit of nature. I found this micro-pot at Michaels and couldnt resist. I clipped sections of tiny silk flowers, wired them together in clusters, then wrapped the wires with florist tape. I tucked everything in a ball of foil to hold it down and then finished off the top with tiny pieces of real dried moss.

And here she is, rocking her look and being sassy! Cheesy

Bonus picture! Here are mini-gigglygirl and mini-EriChanHime together right before I packed/shipped. This swap was so awesome! I loved reading about my partner and picking out accessories that I thought could represent her. She totally nailed little me, too, and even my Mom gushed over her. A very cool community-building swap, and I would love to see another someday (But maybe not till next year; I need time to recover!). Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019 11:34:16 AM »

Utterly beautiful work!  I love every well-thought out little detail.  Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019 06:08:29 PM »

Incredibly done! Amazing amount of careful detail, you really did beautiful work here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019 07:42:58 AM »

Bravo! I loved reading about your process and seeing all the in progress photos. What a lovely, well thought out gift for your partner!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019 12:52:47 PM »

Incredibly done! Amazing amount of careful detail, you really did beautiful work here.
Bravo! I loved reading about your process and seeing all the in progress photos. What a lovely, well thought out gift for your partner!
Utterly beautiful work!  I love every well-thought out little detail.  Well done.

Thank you so much, everyone! This was such a fun, challenging project to work on, and I definitely learned some cool new things. It was lovely to learn more about another Craftster member, too. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019 12:06:55 PM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019 01:09:02 PM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley

Thank you so much, everyone! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019 07:55:39 PM »

super cute! her hair is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019 09:42:05 AM »

super cute! her hair is amazing!

Thank you! It was definitely something I'd never tried before, and I'm delighted with how well it worked out. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Smoked Salmon Fettuccine
@Home This Weekend: Upgrade Your Kitchen
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...