A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
179 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Attaching horns  (Read 1286 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
kiwitart
Angry Pixie

Writing is like butterfly soup

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2005 01:08:39 PM »

I made myself some horns out of polymer clay. But I wasn't too sure of how to attach them, so i just stuck some bobby pins in their bottoms. but when the were done I discovered that those won't hold them to my head. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to hold them on to my head without being too noticeable?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010 06:29:48 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Barbarella

Necessity is the mother of invention.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005 01:11:31 PM »

I'd make a headband out of strong thin wire, (or buy one) and attach them to that, i did it with cat ears and it's fairly discreet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005 09:00:27 PM »

Cool... love the curly ones!  Grin

There's some info on how they've been attached in the past in this stuff from my Halloween page:

`````````````````````````````````
can wear devil horns with your costume . . . different kinds of animal horns, ears, etc.??

....I think Linda G. had originally attached them with a length of elastic through holes in their bottoms (which was placed in back, under the hair, rather than under the chin): http://home.comcast.net/~caneguru/polymerpics/polymerhorns.html

....the clear elastic made for clothes and stuff is what I use on my horns (Also helps because I have really short hair.) ...anything elastic is good because you can knot it and cut it, and then you don't have to have tails on ribbons, etc. CougarGrrl

...attaching with four regular bobby pins. 1) Make 2 horns about 1-2" long, each with a base that is about 1/2 wide. 2) With the end of your pinky finger or something equally small and rounded at the tip, push it into the base of each horn to create a shallow bowl-like area. 3) Place two bobby pins on the work surface in the following manner; have them form a narrow "V", with the loop ends touching. The bobby pins should be vertical so when looking straight down, you only see two bars, when looking from the side, you see the loops, etc. 4) Press the base of the horn onto the bobby pins, where they meet. Pick up the horn, invert it and trap the two bobby pins into the horn by adding a few bits of clay. 5) Determine whether the horn you're working on is for the left or right side, the angle the bobby pins need to be inserted into your hair and then gently curve the horn in the appropriate direction. 6) Gently place on your head to test their balance, size, curvature, etc. Then remove, bake and cool! It took me about 10 minutes to make the two horns. ;-) Desiree http://desiredcreations.com/Misc_PCHorns.htm

...I did something similar, but attached my horns to small barettes... and used the TLS/clay strip trick (see Jewelry > Pinbacks) over the metal part on the back. Only problem I had was my ultra-fine hair...so using bobby pins to help secure the barrettes into my hair helped. Laurel

.....here is what we did for ours... Get an inexpensive (wide) plastic headband that fitgs snugly but not so tight that it will produce headache by end of event. Make horns of approximate appropriate size... If desired, roll in glitter or sparkly powder.. Don headband. Have assistant hold horns on the headband on your head while you check for accuracy....Once horns are shaped, insert wire (long enough to wrap many times round headband) into center and bake. When baked, allow to cool (important step). ...Bend wire so it's parallel with bottom of horn, with left horn sticking out to the right, right sticking out to left. One at a time, super glue horns to headband. DO NOT do this while band is on head unless you are bald. Wrap wires around headband and super glue ends. Let dry for 10 minutes. Kim K.

``````````````````````````````````````````````

HTH!

Diane B.
GlassAttic ...polymer clay "encyclopedia"

http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Tuff
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005 05:40:04 AM »

I would find some sort of comfortable sturdy mesh, attach them to that, then comb my hair over it and pin my hair to keep it covering the mesh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gothmom
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005 02:28:22 PM »

Ah horns.  They are my speciality.  When I make polymer clay horns, I put holes through all the way in the bottom from one side to the other and when they are baked, I thread leather thong through them which I knot on either side to keep slippage down. 

Gothmom
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...