A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,841
Currently Running With Scissors:
340 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Design help for chunky purse charm  (Read 181 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
fatewineroses
« on: July 29, 2019 12:19:20 PM »

Hi. This is the THIRD attempt to try and post this.  Undecided Twice I tried but encountered a glitch. Not sure if it is this system or the website. Doesn't matter.

Background: My mom passed away unexpectedly a couple months ago. A group she belongs to, the Ladybugs, was kind enough to do the food for her memorial and help my stepdad cope in the weeks following her death. This last weekend I was at JoAnn's looking for some stuff for a swap, and came across some ladybug beads and angel beads. I had the idea to make chunky purse charms for the Ladybug group as a small thank you for their support.

This is a sketch of what I am thinking about.

My problem is this. While researching inspiration and technique, I became overwhelmed. I have the technical skills and understanding to complete this project. I have experience with wire and beads and such. No problem. But I have not found any design formula or ratios or numbers or whatnot when looking online. All of the videos and tutorials show merely the technical aspects of making these charms. They don't touch upon any sort of design help. *sigh*

So I am coming to my experts for consultation. Please help my swiss cheese, befuddled brain make sense of all the beautiful inspiration I am seeing online.

Any advise, direction or help you can give me is greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019 01:32:06 PM »

Hi fatewineroses.  I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's passing.  I think making something to thank the Ladybugs group is a wonderful idea, both to help you in dealing with the loss, and as a way for them to keep your mom in their hearts and give the group an added sense of unity.

As for your query, I'm not sure how much help we can be without seeing the actual beads, charms, chain, and clips you are working with.  The sketch you've shown is absolutely great.  It's clear you have a definite idea of what you want.  Now I think what you need to do is lay them out on your table and try different amounts of beads, various spacing layouts, etc.  Play with them, rearrange them, move them about.  Understanding something like the Golden Ratio might help you, but at the same time I wouldn't let yourself get too bogged down in exact dimensions.  Making something like this is really a bit of trial and error till you get what feels right to you.

If you were to use the Golden Ratio, I would start with your hook or clip (that will attach to the purse), as the shorter length in the ratio, and the chain with beads & charms, as the longer portion of the ratio.  So for example, if your hooks are 1" long, you would want your chain and charm to measure about 1.61" long.  If your hook measures 1.5" long, then your chain & charms should be about 2.4" long.  If your hook is 2" long, then your chain would be about 3.2" long.  Etc, etc.

I will say that when you are laying thing out and playing with them, be sure to think about how much longer something will be if attached with a jump ring, or how much height a wrapped loop will add to the top of a bead pin.  You might lay everything out, decide where you want everything, then when you put it all together, it might feel a bit longer (and thinner) than you imagined, due to the space that jump rings and loops add.  So make a trial piece, and then adjust as needed till it feels right, before moving on to make the whole set.

And feel free to share progress images!  I'm sure we'll be happy to give help and advice as you go on.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019 01:36:23 PM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fatewineroses
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019 01:39:59 PM »

I will admit I was targeting you specifically Jennie!  Score! Grin That one paragraph gave me more than I had found so far. So I very much appreciate it. Once I get everything together (probably mid-August) I will post some progress pictures. I'll take a look at the link you gave me. It is very much appreciated.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019 03:23:41 PM »

I thought of Jennie straight away too, so glad you got a great reply Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKERS GONNA MAKE, YO!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019 03:37:31 PM »

I thought of Jennie straight away too, so glad you got a great reply Smiley.

Lol.  It helps that I get a PM whenever someone posts anything on the jewelry boards....  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

Ohana, my loves. <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019 04:00:29 PM »

I am so sorry to hear about your loss!  But your mom must've been one cool lady to belong to a group named 'Ladybugs'! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

"The time has come the walrus said, to talk of many things...of sailing ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings."
LadybugsAndBumblebees

Ohana, my loves. <3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019 04:07:10 PM »

I was just thinking...I wonder if you could find any images on the internet or even IRL that you could use as a reference when purchasing the supplies and/or making the purse charms.  I'd love to see one when you are done making them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

"The time has come the walrus said, to talk of many things...of sailing ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings."
steiconi
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019 01:32:13 PM »

Have you finished these yet?
If not, here's my two cents.

I would make them about three times as long (including hook) as your angel charm. Any longer and the angel will disappear.

I would use a sturdy chain for the base, and hang the elements from it. 

What colors will you use?  Red and black, obviously; what color is the angel?  Oooh, could you paint (nail polish) her red with black spots?  No, probably too much.
It might be nice to include some other colors, maybe yellow flowers and green leaves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's go out swinging!
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...