A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,893
Currently Running With Scissors:
278 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mid-Atlantic Meetup! October 26, 2019, Charles County Maryland  (Read 3352 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
calluna
« on: July 25, 2019 01:09:52 PM »

It's happening! You're invited to my place for a bit of crafting (by the fireplace if it's cold, out amongst the oak trees if not), tea, and autumnal snacking in my little 1830s cottage in Charles County, Maryland, on Saturday, October 26th.

Arrive as early as you like, and then at noon we'll go have lunch - indoor if the weather is bad, or else picnic at Piscataway National Park. Piscataway Park is home to the National Colonial Farm, where the Stitch 'n Time volunteer group (both run by the Accokeek Foundation) will be meeting from 1-4pm to process wool from the farm's heritage-breed flock of sheep. This group does all kinds of heritage crafts so there may be other activities going on as well, and you're welcome to join in to learn, share your knowledge, spin some yarn, or just be excited about making things!

This will be a very low-key, unstructured day, in terms of my hosting. Smiley Feel free to come and go, join us whenever, feel no pressure or obligation. I would be doing these things even if no one showed up! But regardless, if there's a good chance you'll be there please RSVP by sending a PM to calluna, even if you're only planning to join us for the afternoon at the Farm. The volunteer coordinator for the Stitch 'n Time group (who you're going to love) is super excited we're coming but she needs a rough head-count ahead of time.

Further notes (check back here closer to the event in case there are more things added):

• You're welcome to bring supplies or projects to share or swap, but you don't have to bring anything, just money for your lunch! No admission fees at Piscataway Park.
  • Please carpool if possible. Bring a friend or significant other if you like! Piscataway Park is on the Potomac River and has a fishing dock on the Potomac River, if you want to bring a fisher.  Smiley
  • I'll send address, phone, and directions to everyone who RSVPs once we get closer to the date.
  • The larger property (on which I rent this little cottage) is on the National Register of Historic Places and is the remaining 20 acres of what used to be a massive tobacco plantation dating back to the 1700s. I am still slowly working on learning the history of the place and who lived and was enslaved here (no books have been written on it, as best as I can tell). Rather than any specific events, the architecture of the remaining structures is what historians have found most notable on this property. Both houses are private residences, and as such the property isn't open to the public. So, come visit in October to see some yet-to-be-explored history!
  • Living in a space this old means things are rustic, and not always in a charming way. I do have electricity, WiFi, and running water, but  I'm telling you right now that the toilet looks disgusting even though it is clean.  Cheesy The house's well water is gross and it stains most surfaces; it also gets dark and filmy after exposure to oxygen, so the water sitting in the toilet bowl will make you question whether the last person flushed. They did. Also, my toilet is upstairs, and the steps are unusually steep, so be aware of that if you have mobility concerns.
  • I highly recommend bringing a camping chair--even if we aren't outside very much, I don't have a great deal of seating at my place, and I think all the seats at the Farm are wood benches.
  • One of the really popular elements of past meetups has been workshops; I don't think there will be sufficient time at my place to hold one and also just hang out, but the afternoon will be all about fiber processing (for those who choose to do that), so maybe that will count? I'm open to suggestions and changes.

Attendees so far: Averia, LadybugsAndBumblebees, thanate, underthemountain + Lana
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019 06:37:39 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking photo or rubberstamp of a school of sardines crammed together facing the same way (much like people in a crowd)
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019 02:02:23 PM »

Darn! It sounds fun, and I wish I lived closer Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019 02:49:44 PM »

We want to come! The mister has a Phish concert in Ann Arbor that weekend in October and Sept may be too soon. We'd travel just to see you though, if the invitation is open and it's a year round thing. I mean, maybe not in the wicked snow storms of winter but there's nothing like a spring lamb love-fest to ring in the end of the cold. I will watch this topic for developments Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
kbrison

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019 03:47:56 PM »

Sounds wonderful but much too far for me. Guess I'm lucky that the Christmas in July Fiber Fest near Tulsa starts tomorrow. I'll just make do with it.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
190/175 in 2019
153/150 in 2018
134/200 in 2017
thanate
wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

writer/crafter/naturalist, mother, Team Oak Tree

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019 04:45:20 PM »

I think October would work better for me, since there's a local SCA event on our calendar for the last Saturday of September, but I'll definitely be watching the thread for further developments!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And the moral of Pierre is 'Care'." -Maurice Sendak

Ugh, it's like Thanos, ok?  the long E is the feminine ending.  (Also, I prefer *not* to destroy the universe when possible.) Thann-uh-tay, no "nate"
LadybugsAndBumblebees

Ohana, my loves. <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019 07:12:35 PM »

Me too, b/c I would love to meet with other Craftsters, since I couldn't go to the Asheville one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

"The time has come the walrus said, to talk of many things...of sailing ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings."
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019 07:31:45 PM »

Sounds great Calluna!  I like the idea of the 4th Saturday.  We don't have hula on the 4th Saturday of the month so that means that Lana and I can both make it...unless she has a robotics thing going on. 

Thanks for hosting!

I have been a tad busy, but I am thinking about our Hawaii meetup and will be posting soon.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019 03:12:06 AM »

Awesome!! This weekend I'll double-check with the group coordinator about meeting October 26th, and regardless, my door will be open.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking photo or rubberstamp of a school of sardines crammed together facing the same way (much like people in a crowd)
calluna
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019 12:19:50 PM »

We're on for October 26! I have updated the first post in this thread with all the details I can think of at the moment. Feel free to ask more questions! I hope to see you there!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019 12:23:36 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

Ohana, my loves. <3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019 01:41:35 PM »

I'll have to check on the money situation, but I think after missing the Asheville meetup, DH would MAKE this work for me!  YEA!  It's happening!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

"The time has come the walrus said, to talk of many things...of sailing ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...