A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,816
Currently Running With Scissors:
175 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Famous Libraries of the World Rubber Stamp Series  (Read 1500 times)
Tags for this thread: library , handcarved , stamp , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019 03:41:12 PM »

What is atlasquest? I know I could google but that's not a personal recommendation and I really like those Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019 06:45:09 PM »

I'm blown away by the quality and detail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019 07:29:49 AM »

What is atlasquest? I know I could google but that's not a personal recommendation and I really like those Cheesy.

AtlasQuest is a letterboxing website. Basically, people have hidden tiny caches in various places across the country, and then they post clues to this website based on map reading, compass use, visual cues, etc. and other people then find the caches based on the clues and mark in the logbooks. Each cache (and each letterbox seeker) has a dedicated stamp that is used. When you find a cache, you stamp your personal log book with the cache's stamp, and you stamp the cache's logbook with your personal stamp. Most letterboxers carve their own personal stamps to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019 07:21:27 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlishaMisha

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Epcot I go!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019 10:35:48 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
Oh my goodness! Thank you all! What an honor! Cheesy
I appreciate all of the kind words, everyone. They are humbling! I really love this form of craft and it is support like this that keep me going and challenging myself more and more.
Oh my, these are great!  I'm trying to get a job at the Chicago library but unfortunately I have no relevant experience (well, nothing that I can put on a resume).  When I vacationed in Toronto, I went to a few libraries there.  Also always on the hunt for Little Free Libraries wherever I am!  Your cutting work is great, so clean and precise!  Maybe you can get a library somewhere to commission your design or a stamp for them, help you make some $$$?
Ooooo! I hope you get a job there! You may be surprised what they consider a valuable skill! Smiley I too go on library hunts! My old library was lacking terribly (maybe 15 craft books and the newest one was from the 80's). I was frustrated and knew libraries couldn't all be like that, so I went to visit a new one weekly. Luckily I moved and belong to a better one with interlibrary loaning and ebook/eaudiobook loans, FINALLY. I want to own a Little Library so bad, but I live in an association and I am not sure how they would feel about that. I also thought about having a portable one. Like a bike with a tiny trailer on the back that I brought around to parks, but I have no safe access to those by bike and loading them into a sedan seems like a bit much. I will keep it in my dreams for some day! The hard part about selling stamps is that I could never get back even close to what I put into them. These stamps took around 9/10hrs each. At the end of the day, as much work is put into them, people just look at them as rubber stamps. They can get them done by a machine much cheaper. And I get it. However, I am into it for the process, so I keep making them regardless. I have toyed with the idea of making simple ones and putting them online, though. One friend inspired me to use them to make prints or cards. In that case, the extra work on the stamp could be worth it. Make it once, share it forever! Smiley

Oh my word, the precision and detail is astonishing! I've done a few carved stamps but never anything this detailed, my goodness. I make mistakes that either have to be incorporated into the design or else given up on. I would have cried like a baby if I'd messed up anything this intricate.
Would you tell me what the tools you are using are called? I have a cuticle trimmer for teeny cuts but it's nowhere near as fine as your smallest gouger there...
As time has passed, I rarely make such a big mistake that I have to give up, because I kind of make "visual notes" onto the rubber. But it happens! I was once carving a silhouette that had cursive words on it. Accidentally started carving around the words (which were to be white) and ruined it. I just decided to finish that part, cut the words out, then save the words for a project in case it ever came up, and restarted. Haha. The Trinity College stamp is an example of a stamp I made a mistake on and just incorporated it. The main railing along the second floor was suppose to have individual rails?dowels?, but I goofed, because of late night carving. I just decided to make them solid instead of start over.So the tools are a #11 Xacto blade (I honestly use other brands too. Whenever this blade show up on a clearance I grab it, because as soon as that tip is broken off, which is easy to do and not notice, it is not as good.) I use a Speedball gouge for getting larger areas away, or just cleaning up those large areas to look cosmetically better. Nothing to do with the image at all. But I have been known to use them for carving certain parts from time to time. The teeny gouge is a modified Staedtler 1V dubbed "1V Miniaturized". Staedtler retired their gouges years ago, which is a shame. I have been in contact with them hoping they will reinstate, because I don't think they realize that they are in such demand. At this point, people have been resharpening theirs. The gouges can be found secondhand from time to time. Check ebay! The reason they are top notch is because The Staedtler 1V is much more of a V than the Speedball 1. It has a very defined corner when Speedball's 1 is more of a curved corner. What makes mine "miniaturized" is that the top of the gouge is ground down for maximum visibility. I use this tool for tiny lines in shading or for the "books" on the shelf, for instance. It is very good for very shallow lines. This was made for me by a letterboxer. I know letterboxers in the hobby longer than I who have still not got their hands on them, but they can be made for sure! Smiley

That's great info already! Definitely will keep an eye out for any process photos or tutorials you might post in the future. Smiley I totally went and joined AtlasQuest (SkeletonHime, also my Geocaching handle), and will have to look for you on there soon!
I will make a note to keep a tutorial in mind. I get asked about my process a lot by gouge carvers in the letterboxing world, so I would also have a way to direct them to Craftster! Smiley I will find you and send you a message on AtlasQuest! I haven't logged most of my finds in years. I am terrible at that. hahaha I recommend events. I spend most of my time on those these days. Especially for carving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

Peace and long life

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019 05:55:04 PM »

I have made a couple stamps but nowhere near this level of detail! I can't fathom how you make the incremental lines!

Great work! And thanks for sharing!!

\m/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019 10:11:05 PM »

These are absolutely amazing! I have carved a couple of stamps, and used the gouges, but the detail I get is pretty nonexistent in comparison! I've tried to figure out how using an Xacto can lead to such amazing detail- I just can't figure out how to do the cuts so you can actually remove the rubber pieces.

Thank you so much for sharing your miniature pieces of art with us! I might have to dig out my carving tools and refresh my skills- you've inspired me (although I will never be able to carve at your level!) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
CameronRobertson
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019 01:37:08 AM »

Wow, just wow! I can never bring myself to pay enough attention at any one time to give my full focus on such intricate job. The fine detailing must have most likely required so much patience and extreme concentration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
MarkSindone
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019 01:43:02 AM »

I don't have steady hands so I think I can never achieve such fine artwork like yours. They are amazing and look so realistic. The library bookshelves stamp especially looks so exquisite and obviously must have had needed a good eye and strong focus.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi there and all that nice things!
AlishaMisha

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Epcot I go!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019 11:49:25 PM »

Your compliments have been greatly appreciated, everyone! <3 (Sorry, I am terrible at being quick on replies)

I have made a couple stamps but nowhere near this level of detail! I can't fathom how you make the incremental lines!
I have made MANY stamps over the years of so many styles and so many levels of difficult/size/etc. The trick is to not be afraid to challenge yourself...oh and a magnifier and Staz-On in Mustard (to stain the rubber and seal the image) are your friends. Letterboxing not only gave me an excuse to carve a bunch, but it also gave me challenges. Especially the stamps that I have to customize images for. Like when doing an event stamp (a stamp that everyone gets first in their book when logging into the event that represents the whole event). I have done a few of those and they are really fun to come up with and carve.

These are absolutely amazing! I have carved a couple of stamps, and used the gouges, but the detail I get is pretty nonexistent in comparison! I've tried to figure out how using an Xacto can lead to such amazing detail- I just can't figure out how to do the cuts so you can actually remove the rubber pieces.
For me, my carving is just not as good without what I mentioned above. So that is a portion of it. The other part is to challenge yourself. Like to the point where you are almost scared. Hahaha! So the x-acto...I really should do a tutorial, because frequent carvers ask me this a lot, because x-actos are just not used as much in the stamp world. But let me see if I can demystify this (or confuse you more) through this text...Imagine looking through the thin part of the stamp at that level. So say * is a part of the stamp that you want to be black or whatever. Cut away from it at an angle like this: /*\  then do other cuts at the other angle so you can lift the rubber out. So:  \/*\/    If you want to make a "negative" stamp or whatever, (meaning the color parts are prominent and you are not cutting beside lines, but are making them. Kind of like having a block and running a gouge through it to make a line) then you  do the cuts like this *\/*  (I probably seem like I have lost my mind explaining it this way. Bahaha!)

Wow, just wow! I can never bring myself to pay enough attention at any one time to give my full focus on such intricate job. The fine detailing must have most likely required so much patience and extreme concentration.
This is the one area where being ADHD has been my superpower, because of the ability to hyper-focus during interests. I tend to start stamps sometime after dinner and many times I see the sunrise without even thinking. Netflix to keep my mind busy helps. Something I have seen or at lest know the show's voices to follow along without looking. This is key for me anyways. I am one who has to clutter my mind so my brain doesn't have much room to think on its own. Sometimes that does not work in my favor and I accidentally carve away something that I needed to keep (lucky this has only ruined a stamp once to the point of starting over and that was many years ago). You get a groove, get familiar with how to work the rubber, what tools to use when (that is the power of learning both gouges and knife), and really get comfortable. Kind of like finding a groove.

The library bookshelves stamp especially looks so exquisite and obviously must have had needed a good eye and strong focus.
I messed up the railing when I was not paying attention and accidentally carved a whole section away, because I didn't properly "label" it with my intentions. The books themselves were crazy easy for me. So I used the 1V miniaturized. I drew in vague shelves (just a line). Then I started the gouge at the line and moved up, making sure to not hit the next "shelf" line above it. The beauty of it is that books come in all heights, so I did not have to be careful about making all those mini lines be the same height. This was much quicker. The tool makes such shallow and tiny gouges out of the rubber that it doesn't do well at taking the rubber away on its own. So I would frequently brush my hand up to catch and safely "rip" the little pieces off so I could see. What I like about the books is that they are one of the easiest parts, but they give some of the biggest impact that make the stamp more detailed. It is like that when I use that tool for shading too (I just randomly scrap the surface. I don't have an example on hand at the moment). All smoke and mirrors. hahaha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Dessert Tray
October 9, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Sugar Lip Scrub

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...