A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,821
Currently Running With Scissors:
248 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Famous Libraries of the World Rubber Stamp Series  (Read 1852 times)
Tags for this thread: library , handcarved , stamp , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
AlishaMisha
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Epcot I go!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019 11:21:15 AM »

Thank you all! Such kind words! I appreciate it. <3 Sometimes I forget just how much support Craftster has when I have been away for so long.

I got exhausted after 6

I'm exhausted vicariously just looking at all the detail! All those windows, the tiny ladder on the Celsus (I think) oneamazing.

Haha I know that feeling. I look at what people do with crafts and I am like "well, I need a nap!". The ladder was from Trinity College. It was one of the easier parts of the stamp, but I chose to keep it from the photograph, because I felt it added to it. Little work, bigger impact! Smiley What you don't see is where I was sleep deprived, made a careless mistake of carving something away I wasn't suppose to, and then had to reinterpret that part with less detail. I need to learn to stop doing these 10 hour binges and actually take breaks! I wouldn't be so exhausted, but noooooo my ADHD wants to hyperfocus. Tongue

I would LOVE to see a post on your carving process some time. I've wanted to try stamp carving for a long time, and amusingly, Letterboxing is why! I currently have a self-logo that I hand-draw when I go geo-caching, but I need a personal stamp to match for branching off into letterboxing.

I will see what I can do! I carve a bit different than most letterboxers (who use gouges). I mostly use a #11 xacto, but use this modified Staedtler (it is a 1V that is pinched tighter, then the top is ground down for maximum visibility) for tiny lines (like the books on the shelves). The SpeedyCarve gouges are mostly for cleanup of larger areas, etc. But I mainly consider myself a knife carver. More time to take a chunk of rubber out (as it requires two actions, usually), but I don't feel like I can achieve the same results with gouges. Though some feel that way about an xacto. So you may find my way to not be a good fit, or you may! Smiley I was a geocacher before letterboxing! That is actually how I morphed into being a letterboxer. I never did a hybrid, but I looked into it based on the name. I eventually abandoned geocaching for letterboxing. If you (or anyone reading) get onto AtlasQuest, I am there under the same name.

What exquisite work!  Thank you so much for sharing!  I really need to get back to carving
If you are anything like me, you forget how much you love it until you do it again! I usually exhaust myself, take a break, exhaust myself, break, repeat repeat repeat. hahaha, but honestly, I think that is because I don't always have stamps lined up after the ones I do and I also don't stock up on rubber.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

excelsior
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019 11:27:07 AM »

Oh my, these are great!  I'm trying to get a job at the Chicago library but unfortunately I have no relevant experience (well, nothing that I can put on a resume).  When I vacationed in Toronto, I went to a few libraries there.  Also always on the hunt for Little Free Libraries wherever I am!  Your cutting work is great, so clean and precise!  Maybe you can get a library somewhere to commission your design or a stamp for them, help you make some $$$?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019 02:43:40 PM »

Oh my word, the precision and detail is astonishing! I've done a few carved stamps but never anything this detailed, my goodness. I make mistakes that either have to be incorporated into the design or else given up on. I would have cried like a baby if I'd messed up anything this intricate.
Would you tell me what the tools you are using are called? I have a cuticle trimmer for teeny cuts but it's nowhere near as fine as your smallest gouger there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
BigBangMomma

@Lynx2Lancer on Instagram

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019 06:14:55 PM »

These are a work of art. They are phenomenal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller

Mini 12 Days of Christmas: Waiting to Send!
LV Round 30:Hosting SusieQ!
Monoprint on Fabric Swap: Sent!
Masterboard Swap Rd  2: SIGN UP NOW!!
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Lana

live aloha

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019 08:32:38 PM »

Stupendous!  I am in awe of your carving skills.  WOW!  just WOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meowari

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019 04:47:08 AM »

Those are all SO BEAUTIFUL, but the Trinity College one is my absolute favourite! You are so talented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Powerhouseofthecell

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019 05:05:48 AM »

These are absolutely stunning. Your are so talented.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Im up for personal swaps. Smiley
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

GryffinMaus

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019 06:55:43 AM »

Wow! These are incredible!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019 07:41:27 AM »

Holy moly! These are phenominal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019 10:56:43 AM »

I would LOVE to see a post on your carving process some time. I've wanted to try stamp carving for a long time, and amusingly, Letterboxing is why! I currently have a self-logo that I hand-draw when I go geo-caching, but I need a personal stamp to match for branching off into letterboxing.

I will see what I can do! I carve a bit different than most letterboxers (who use gouges). I mostly use a #11 xacto, but use this modified Staedtler (it is a 1V that is pinched tighter, then the top is ground down for maximum visibility) for tiny lines (like the books on the shelves). The SpeedyCarve gouges are mostly for cleanup of larger areas, etc. But I mainly consider myself a knife carver. More time to take a chunk of rubber out (as it requires two actions, usually), but I don't feel like I can achieve the same results with gouges. Though some feel that way about an xacto. So you may find my way to not be a good fit, or you may! Smiley I was a geocacher before letterboxing! That is actually how I morphed into being a letterboxer. I never did a hybrid, but I looked into it based on the name. I eventually abandoned geocaching for letterboxing. If you (or anyone reading) get onto AtlasQuest, I am there under the same name.

That's great info already! Definitely will keep an eye out for any process photos or tutorials you might post in the future. Smiley I totally went and joined AtlasQuest (SkeletonHime, also my Geocaching handle), and will have to look for you on there soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Fish Tacos with Green Sauce
@Home This Weekend: DIY Dessert Tray
October 9, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...