A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,767
Currently Running With Scissors:
267 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shopping Bag from an old Pillow-Case  (Read 311 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2019 08:00:11 PM »

I saw an attractive pillowcase when I was looking at the Salvation army (resale shop) for a sheet to use for the Reusable kitchen garbage bag. (https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=458679.0)

I had the vague thought I could make a shopping bag from it. Since it wasn't expensive, I bought it with the sheet I'd chosen.

I thought about and planned it while it was"resting". I decided it could have just a facing in the handles, rather than lining the entire bag. Thinking on it further, I wondered if the top fold could be unfolded and used for the inside facing.

When I decided that the fabric was well enough "rested", I took the shears to it. I cut off the top fold. I opened the top fold, and found that it would be plenty enough for the facing I planned.

Using a plastic shopping bag for the pattern, I cut out the handles. Then, I did the same in the top fold.

I decided to use the"Singlet Style Shopping Bag" tutorial (https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177482.0 )
following Her Crafty Majesty's instructions, mostly, I attached the facing to the bag.
I attempted to sew the bag handles together first: but, discovered that the facing had to be inside the bag when I sewed the top of the handles together. After seam-ripping, I was able to sew the handles together. Then I topstitched, which held down the facing.
Last of all, I boxed the bottom. To finish it, I sewed the triangle to the bottom seam.

So, what do you think, Craftsters? A good idea, not so much, or somewhere in between?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019 02:41:13 PM »

I totally did the same thing with that very tutorial! I think using pillow cases for bags is a great idea, why the heck not? I did fully line the one I made though, I think it adds to the strength for carrying heavy produce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019 09:27:02 PM »

I used this today; the clerk immediately recognised it as a former pillow case. I was surprised, but she said that she's used pillow cases as Halloween candy bags for many years.
Then, she said that she would buy lots of them, if they were in a craft sale.

It works well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...