A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need better lighting.  (Read 537 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2019 05:56:53 PM »

I have a small OTTlight that is just excellent, in fact I got it from an ad on here years ago. It's amazing, very bright, clear light. Perfect for beside the bed when I'm crafting at night and want to see the yarn or stitches. I need something similar but bigger and brighter for the craft room desk (desktop, not a floor lamp). OTT has lots of selection but I would like a recommendation. Does anybody have like the ultimate light for seeing what you're doing, taking photos, etc with? Full spectrum, true colour, reduces eye-strain, all those things, no bells and whistles like charging port for devices or plays music or cups for storing things or magnifying glass attachment (I have seriously seen it all, lol). I really just want a darn bright light so my aging eyes can see what they are looking at.

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019 02:49:03 PM »

I actually have an Ottlight desktop from Costco that is daylight spectrum.  It is an older one that they are not selling anymore unfortunately - they now sell LED OTTlights which are nice too - bright, but not daylight.  But the Costco price was wonderful - the old ones were about $25-30, and the newer LED ones are abot $35-40.  When I work in the basement, I use a standard floor lamp I can direct over my work, but use a bright daylight LED bulb - I often will be stitching or beading with fine Delicas for hours at a time.  I also use a bright 100 watt daylight bulb in the ceiling light of my craft room too.

I think my cross stitching friend got her standing Ottlight lamp from one of the needlework shops out closer to you (Gitta's in Mississauga I think).  Or order it off of Amazon.... or see if  you can get one with the coupon at Michaels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BigBangMomma

***Please join the Craftster Discord!***

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019 06:22:55 AM »

Did you find a good light for what you are looking for? I need better lighting too, and am thinking about asking for one for Christmas. (more like, my husband tells me to go and buy it..ha!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We Are Crafty Pals on Discord. Come keep in touch, too!

Proud Craftster since 2011.

@Lynx2Lancer on Instagram.
#CraftsterFriendsForever
#CraftsterNeverSaysDie
#MoreThanACraftWebsite

[email protected]
Joined the Craftster Reddit and Discord.
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019 07:29:34 AM »

I was thinking about this last night. I got the craft room organized but the lighting is still not good. The problem is, I don't know what to order. I need great, bright, day light spectrum that covers the whole desk. I want something other than LED which I really do not like. The michael's here doesn't carry any lighting at all & the sewing shops have lamps that illuminate a very small area. It's bafflingly difficult to find good info about this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Be kind to yourself

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019 02:41:05 AM »

I was thinking about this last night. I got the craft room organized but the lighting is still not good. The problem is, I don't know what to order. I need great, bright, day light spectrum that covers the whole desk. I want something other than LED which I really do not like. The michael's here doesn't carry any lighting at all & the sewing shops have lamps that illuminate a very small area. It's bafflingly difficult to find good info about this.

What I did was simply buy bulb holders like these  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holder-FINELED-Socket-Plastic-Without/dp/B07CZ9YW26

and i  wired 3 of them together on a long wire-like a string of fairy lights. they are screwed to the shelf above my bench and I use those bulbs that are supposed to give a natural light- when I can get them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019 04:11:10 AM »

Have you ever considered getting a magnifying work light?  My husband got me one that has a swing arm and clips onto the side of my work table.  I seriously have no clue what I ever did without it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019 08:47:40 AM »

I actually do have one of those mag lights, it was my dad's. It is really difficult to clamp to a surface, it needs to be a very particular size and depth. Since it doesn't fit anything in my studio, I gave it to my daughter and it's working for her because she sits to craft and does tiny projects with her very good eyesight, lol. I stand and move around, make a huge mess that all needs to be lit. I would really like the entire surface to be bright. The ideal thing might be a couple of lamps with long bulbs, sort of like piano lamps, you know the kind I mean? It's an attic with slanted walls or I'd think about actual tube shades that mount to the ceiling. We've got those in the basement and they are great. Not the fluorescent tubes themselves, that light isn't good but surely there is a kind that shines daylight/full spectrum?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019 08:49:04 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019 11:10:10 AM »

There are fluorescent daylight bulbs.  We use them to start plants for our garden indoors in the winter.  Not sure how they would be for crafting light.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019 03:57:08 PM »

I'm not sure how they'd be either and I hesitate to purchase some new set up without a recommendation from another crafter. My eyesight is changing with age, I used to have better than perfect vision but now I really do need an excellent light if I'm attempting anything with detail. I had on my man's glasses a while ago to see something up close, they are stronger than mine, and noticed some shiny patches of glue on a paper craft that I had not even seen At ALL with my own prescription! Drr... that just isn't nice.

I may take a trip into Toronto to a lighting shop to see what they've got to offer. We'll see what we see (see what I did there? Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...