A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
247 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Travelers Journal Swap (Signup June 20 to 30 / Send by July 31)  (Read 1992 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019 02:42:47 PM »

I noticed a few mistakes in my tutorial and just fixed them (that's what I get for doing things in the early morning)  Smiley

I also shared a less picture heavy version on Craftster: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=458613.0

Hope someone finds this useful  Cheesy

I'm really considering joining but I want to see how far I can get with another wap project before I over commit myself  Smiley If nothing else I'm looking forward to the gallery!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look for me under Reinikka if/when Craftster is reborn

My Pintrest

Blogging again
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019 01:34:07 PM »

Catching up! 
Gah, all my awake hours have been spent away from home these past couple of days. 
I can't wait for things to return to normal Smiley

I'm making a note to check in before signups are over, I have high hopes of organizing my life next week Cheesy 

That's one of my life goals...getting organized Roll Eyes 
I'll try to remember to nudge you before signups are over...no pressure though Smiley

After seeing this swap I created a new board and went crazy. I will say though that I have not yet found a tutorial for a fabric Travelers Journal that I like. I might have to do my own. I use Peltex to make a firmer cover.

FWRs Travelers Board

Nice collection of traveler's journal related pins!  I need to create a new board as well, but for now, I'll just browse yours Cheesy
I've added your link in the first post Smiley
Hmmm...I'll do a search to see if I come across any additional tutes for fabric traveler's journal covers. 
I'm pretty happy with my process for the cover I made.  Though I didn't refer to any specific tute while making it, I certainly gleaned knowledge from various tutes I've seen online.

I noticed a few mistakes in my tutorial and just fixed them (that's what I get for doing things in the early morning)  Smiley

I also shared a less picture heavy version on Craftster: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=458613.0

Hope someone finds this useful  Cheesy

I'm really considering joining but I want to see how far I can get with another wap project before I over commit myself  Smiley If nothing else I'm looking forward to the gallery!  Smiley

Thanks so much for posting your tutorial!  It's always useful to see the process of how things are done Smiley
I have added a link to your tutorial in the first post.
Totally get that you have to give priority to other swaps that you have committed to!  That's a sign of a responsible swapper Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Winter Market 2019
Wulf

Long Live Craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019 04:19:07 PM »

I'm kind of torn about this, because I already carry around two other journals (one for writing and one for collage), and do I really want to add another? But on the other hand, I'm planning an epic bit of travelling next year, to the Honolulu Craftster Meet-Up in June. If any trip ever deserved its own journal, it'd be this one. Maybe we can get some of the rest of the Hawai'ian travellers in on this: alteredmommy, alwaysinmyroom, craftylittlemonkey, kbrison, loves2experiment, LadybugsAndBumblebees, SheepBlue, craftaddchick, TheSapphireMoon, etc.

I don't really know too much about travel journals per se. I'll read through the tutorials and posts before I decide.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fatewineroses
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019 08:21:49 AM »

I'm kind of torn about this, because I already carry around two other journals (one for writing and one for collage), and do I really want to add another? But on the other hand, I'm planning an epic bit of travelling next year, to the Honolulu Craftster Meet-Up in June. If any trip ever deserved its own journal, it'd be this one. Maybe we can get some of the rest of the Hawai'ian travellers in on this: alteredmommy, alwaysinmyroom, craftylittlemonkey, kbrison, loves2experiment, LadybugsAndBumblebees, SheepBlue, craftaddchick, TheSapphireMoon, etc.

I don't really know too much about travel journals per se. I'll read through the tutorials and posts before I decide.

Wulf

You misunderstand my friend. A Traveler's Notebook is not a notebook exclusively for travel. It is a brand. What it REALLY is...is a system to combine your multiple notebooks into ONE notebook. Not by having a bigger notebook and dividing it, but by having multiple "inserts!" Depending upon the TN, you can carry upwards of EIGHT to TEN inserts!  Shocked

What is a Traveler's Notebook?

So. That should solve that little problem right there. Join us! You know you want to !!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf

Long Live Craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019 11:20:17 AM »

Ohhhh. Now I get it.  Thanks for that useful link, ftw. This sounds like it isn't something for me.  Sad

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fatewineroses
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019 12:41:23 PM »

Ohhhh. Now I get it.  Thanks for that useful link, ftw. This sounds like it isn't something for me.  Sad

Wulf

Dramatic sigh Okay then.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fatewineroses
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019 08:19:14 AM »

I *might* be anxious to get partners. I think today I am going to go and make some basic measurements to create a sort of formula. What size is everyone interested in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fatewineroses
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019 10:58:02 AM »

I worked out all the initial questions that I would ask myself when creating a cover. I included information about different interfacing to use, somewhat dependent upon the fabric you are going to use and how floppy/firm you want the cover. This is my basic workup, first draft. I thought it might be helpful. If anyone has any questions or wants me to address any other factors, please let me know. Smiley

Questions to ask before you start designing your Travelers Notebook cover.
Size of inserts?
Preferred number of inserts (range)?
How many elastics? (You can fit more than one elastic through each eyelet.) 2mm elastic or fold over elastic works
How many eyelets?
How much overhang height?
How much overhang width?
Pockets? If so, how many and where?
Pen loop? Permanent or removable?
Bookmark? If so, how many? Permanent or removable?
Material? Leather, fabric, cork fabric, cereal box, placemat, etc

Determining width
Width of insert +
# of inserts x either 4/5mm or .15/.2in +
desired overhang (.5-.75in) x 2 +
+ optional if using fabric add on 1 for seam allowance

Determining height
Height of insert +
desired overhang (.25-.5in) x 2 +
+ optional if using fabric add on 1 for seam allowance

If using fabric you will need some interfacing:
I would recommend using SF101 on ALL fabric that is quilting cotton or lighter. You could use pretty much any fabric. Such as cotton, linen, waxed linen, waxed canvas, canvas, dcor weight, etc.
Depending up on how firm/floppy you want your cover to be, use:
Peltex 71F pretty firm
Pellon Flex-foam kinda floppy
Pellon TP971 (fleece) definitely floppy
All of these interfacings should have ONE SIDE with adhesive, not two. In a pinch you could use sew in and use a spray adhesive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019 01:21:18 AM »

Wulf

Dramatic sigh Okay then.  Cry

That was a useful link for sure.  It's a pretty straightforward explanation of a traveler's notebook/journal Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Winter Market 2019
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019 01:45:08 AM »

I *might* be anxious to get partners. I think today I am going to go and make some basic measurements to create a sort of formula. What size is everyone interested in?

Given that the signup period ends on Sunday, it might be just you and I doing this swap Cheesy  
I would be interested in a journal cover that works with my current set-up (i.e. approximately 5.5" by 7" or a smidge bigger).  
Or if that seems like an odd size to work with, the closest standard size would probably be a A5 size Smiley

And I must say that your notes on designing a traveler's notebook cover is really thorough!  Nicely done Cheesy
I usually wing it when I sew, but it'll be a useful checklist to make sure every aspect is covered when I design my swap partner's journal cover Cheesy

For interfacing, I use a combination of Pellon 809 Decor Bond Fusible and two-sided fusible web to stiffen the cover. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019 01:57:54 AM by loves2experiment » THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Winter Market 2019
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...