A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
319 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Garage Sale Tips? Not Necessarily Selling Crafts...  (Read 220 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
endymion
« on: June 18, 2019 05:28:42 AM »

Iím having a garage sale in a few weeks. Any crafty tips on how to make it a spectacular experience for shoppers, or more successful in general?

For example, Iím thinking of hanging a gigantic bunting-type banner between the 2 upstairs windows of my house.

UPDATE: sale complete! And I did do the gigantic sign across the house:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019 03:49:31 AM by endymion » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/magnifisweets
www://craftcrossing.com
Improbable Bird Lady YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/tqHw31kMEsU
endymion
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019 06:54:01 AM »

So I thought Iíd share how I made the banner, and a few other fun things we did to make our sale distinctive.

First, the banner. Each letter (cut from wrapping paper or bulletin-board paper) is glued on a sheet of posterboard. The tops of the posterboard have been rolled over wrapping paper tubes and held in place with white duct tape. String them together with a strong cord or thick yarn or thin rope  (you need to be able to close the window with the cord in place). Make sure the cord is much longer than the distance between the windows.

Now the tricky part: hanging it. Itís a two-person job. We decided to hang the banner from the UPPER part of the window. Tie a weight to the end of the cord. It needs to be heavy enough to carry the cord across the gap, but also soft so you donít risk breaking a window. We used a tennis ball. You also need a long stick, like a broom handle. Person A tosses the ball out one window, and Person B holds the stick out the second window to catch it. (Obviously, safety first so no one falls out a window!! Donít lean on the windows at all.)  Make very sure the letters will wind up in the right order and facing the right direction when you are done.

Other things we did to make our sale stand out:
We played upbeat music (all unusual stuff like anime music, etc.)
We had fun, colorful tablecloths and coordinated signage.
It was a super-hot weekend, so we sold bottled ice water for 50 cents.
We invited the neighbors to participate and then advertised it as a neighborhood sale.
Our street signs were circular to catch more attention.

It was a smashing success; we made about $600! And more importantly, cleared a lot of stuff out of the house. Nothing came back into the house; whatever didnít sell, we donated.

We are exhausted but glad we did it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/magnifisweets
www://craftcrossing.com
Improbable Bird Lady YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/tqHw31kMEsU
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...