A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,783
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Indian-inspired Chicken, Pea, and Paneer Savory English Pie  (Read 430 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , dinner , savory_pie , chicken , vegetables  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ooooo... Stickers!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 05, 2019 11:56:39 AM »

I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes, though slightly altered for a dinner party with picky eaters Smiley This is a modified recipe from my favorite cookbook which calls for paneer instead of chicken and some slightly different amounts and types of ingredients, and also adjusted for American grocery stores since the original recipe is British Smiley
This week I made one with a low carb, coconut flour crust (recipe from sugarfreemom.com; net 2 grams of carbs per serving! Wuuuut?), and one with store bought shortcrust.

Makes two 9-inch pies. While watching the Great British Bake-Off, takes about 4 hours to prepare and cook. If you decide to try this, please let me know if you were quicker Smiley

Ingredients:
4 portions of preferred pie crust (two bottoms and two tops)
5 Large tomatoes, diced
Pinch of salt
4 Skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup canola oil, plus 2 TBSP if needed
1 Vedalia onion, quartered and thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, minced or put through a garlic press
1.5" - 2" piece of ginger, grated or minced
1 red chili pepper, chopped (add one or two more if you like things spicier - this is mild)
1 1/2 tsp cumin seed
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground corriander
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 big ole box of fresh baby spinach - equivalent of 2 bags?
1 bag of frozen peas, warmed up before cooking.
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp ground mustard seed
1/2 tsp cardamom
1 egg, beaten

Directions:
1. Cook the tomatoes with a pinch of salt for about 15 minutes on medium low - essentially stewing them. Do not overcook or let them turn to mush. I didn't add any oil at this stage.  Take off heat and put to the side until needed.

2. Heat up your oil a high walled suate pan or pot. There's going to be a looot of filling, so don't pick a small pan! Sprinkle the next two portions of spice over your chicken then cook them in the oil until done. Take the chicken out of the pan and put to the side.

3. If needed, add another tablespoon or two of oil before adding the cooking the next ingredients. Saute the onions for a couple minutes then add the garlic, ginger, and chili peppers. Once the onions are translucent, add the next four spices and mix thoroughly.

4. Add spinach one handful at a time and let it cook down so the pan doesn't overflow. Folding the sauce over the spinach leaves helps it cook down faster. After you have all that spinach in there, add the tomatoes and peas. Mix it up!

5. Add the heavy cream and remaining spices. Lower the heat and simmer while preparing the pie shells.

6. Lightly oil or spray two 9" pie dishes then place a portion pie crust in each. If your crust recipe or directions call for prebaking, so so while the sauce is simmering. When ready, ladel in the pie filling, draining off excess liquid if needed. Leave enough room for placing and sealing the top crust. Before placing the top crust, brush the egg along the edges to help seal the crusts. After sealing the crusts, make four small slashes in the tops to let air out. Brush the rest of the tops with the egg and sprinkle with salt if desired.

7. Bake for about 45 minutes at 350 deg F or until the pies are golden. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes or more before slicing and serving.

Notes: In the past, my filling was thicker using paneer instead of chicken, so maybe cookdown the liquid between the chicken and onion stages or boil off some extra liquid after adding tomatoes.

I think I could have cooked mine longer. I started at 30 minutes of cooktime and kept adding 3-5 extra minutes a few times. After cutting into these, you could see that the regular store bought crust did not absorb any liquid and it was not a solid pie filling, while the coconut flour crust did absorb it and left a dryer, more solid filling. Both were delicious, but I usually stick to a keto diet, so the coconut flour crust lets me have pie instead of just pie filling Smiley

Sadly, no photogenic pie slice photos, but here's an in progress and after progress shot:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
rhinoceroses
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019 12:52:42 PM »

These both look totally delicious! I'm inspired to try this coconut pie crust Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019 01:53:09 PM »

Looks scrumptious! 
Thanks for sharing your recipe...I am bookmarking it to try at a later time  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2019
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019 05:47:10 PM »

Oh my gosh, I'd eat that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019 04:52:51 AM »

These sound delicious....   mmm.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019 04:53:35 PM »

Oh they look beautiful! The crust looks perfect
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Potholders!
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...