A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,886
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ukranian Wax-Resist Egg Dyeing - Pysanky  (Read 513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
EriChanHime
« on: May 28, 2019 02:08:16 PM »

Since finding this craft online a couple years ago, I've always wanted to try it, but I wasn't in a place to just be able to buy all the tools. Imagine my delight when I found out that the Quilt Shop where I do my charity sewing group also hosts a lady who teaches Ukrainian egg dyeing throughout the year! I dragged a couple of my friends along, and we signed up and took the class. It was careful, thoughtful work, but not too difficult.

You can tell that it takes a lot of practice to make neat, straight lines, and soft, evenly spaced spirals, like on the teacher's eggs, shown here:

You start off by scraping beeswax into your variously sized styluses, and then dragging them lightly over the surface of the eggs to leave designs. Then you dip dye in your lightest color.

You add more wax to your egg anywhere you want to keep that color, then dip into the next color of dye. Repeat until you reach the darkest color, often black, but also red or blue or any other dark jewel tone.

Once you are done with all your dyes, you carefully hold the egg in a candle flame to melt the wax, slowly turning it and wiping it until all the wax is gone.

We finished our eggs with a pour-on varnish, which is less traditional but works very well! We didn't blow our eggs, but over the next several months, the insides will dry out and harden.

Here are my two beautiful eggs displayed on my mantel. Not bad for someone who's never done it before, and doesn't have a lot in the way of 2D art skills. I would happily try this art form again. It was so fun!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019 02:17:39 PM by EriChanHime » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019 03:27:17 PM »

Beautiful! I have this on my list of for-sure one-of-these-days crafts.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019 03:27:34 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
The Raging Sloth

Because Papier-Mache solves everything

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019 08:05:38 PM »

Ooh! Dude  these are great! Awesome thst tooi showed in-progress pics! (I'm so bad at those  Lol) I've tried some pysanky myself and yours look way better! Lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you're a hoarder and you know it, clap your hands!
EriChanHime
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019 11:22:41 PM »

Thank you, Sloth! I am not always great about in-progress pictures, either, but I really wanted to also help myself remember how the process went, so that was a reminder. Smiley Thank you, monkey! You really should try it. It's fun and unusual, and no matter what happens, the eggs will still be cool to look at, even if not exactly how you expected. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019 08:37:34 AM by EriChanHime » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
endymion
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019 04:54:01 AM »

Another pysanky enthusiast! Yay! Your very first eggs look great!

I took a class many years ago and then took another more recently. After that one, I took the plunge and purchased supplies to use at home.

Its a time-consuming but fun craft. How long did your class last?

Im thinking about making eggs for family for Christmas gifts. (Would it be weird to give Easter eggs as Christmas gifts...? I would do Christmas colors and designs and make it so you could hang them on the tree.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/magnifisweets
www://craftcrossing.com
Improbable Bird Lady YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/tqHw31kMEsU
EriChanHime
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019 08:41:10 AM »

Thank you! I aspire to someday make egg crafts like your signature, endymion! The class we took was 3 hours long, and that was enough for me to finish my 2 eggs. One friend also finished two, as she was also doing abstract designs. The other friend only finished one, as she was trying to actually make pictures of real things with specific colored sections, so there was a lot more planning work, and more wax to lay down and melt off.

You should TOTALLY make Christmas Pysanky. They would be lovely, especially, like you said, with pretty finials to make them into ornaments. I can see them being warm and cozy in traditional Christmas colors, and icy and elegant in all sorts of shades of blue/purple and whites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019 08:53:11 AM »

These are stunning!  Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

C'mon, pegasister, quit foaling around!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019 12:36:24 PM »

Very cool and I appreciate the in progress shots and process description.

In the past, I think I've drawn simple stuff on Easter eggs with crayon before dyeing them, when decorating those with my nieces, but, never anything as complex/intricate as these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Witty_Child

I do hope that's all, you witty child.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019 05:44:48 AM »

Які гарні писанки!  (What beautiful pysanky!)

I lack the basic drawing skills for this sort of thing, but love seeing ones that other people have done!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019 07:23:14 AM »

These are stunning!  Well done.
Thank you! It's definitely worth trying at least once. Now that I've done it and know I enjoyed it, I would probably consider just buying the tools in the future. But I'll wait until I'm ready to actually do a specific project before purchasing

Very cool and I appreciate the in progress shots and process description.

In the past, I think I've drawn simple stuff on Easter eggs with crayon before dyeing them, when decorating those with my nieces, but, never anything as complex/intricate as these!
Thank you! I always love process ideas, so I try to give them when I am able to take the matching photos. Smiley

I've seen that before! Those Easter kits with the white or clearish-looking crayon in them. Do you melt it off when it's done, or just leave it as is? Now I want to grab a crayon and try this method and see if it works for funsies (obviously it wouldn't allow for the same level of detail, but could be cool for basic projects).

Які гарні писанки!  (What beautiful pysanky!)

I lack the basic drawing skills for this sort of thing, but love seeing ones that other people have done!  Smiley
Thank you! Don't let that stop you, though! I draw like a distracted 8-year-old on a good day, but was able to manage this. You could always use light pencil lines to plan your design and then erase as you replace with wax.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...