A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
172 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: At the Mountains of Madness Penguin  (Read 489 times)
Tags for this thread: penguin , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
The Raging Sloth

Because Papier-Mache solves everything...

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2019 06:53:07 PM »

Jeffrey was just a blind albino cave penguin minding his own biz when a shoggoth came stampeding through his cave! WTF? He and his boyz got thrown left and right like bowling pins all because some dumb human guy couldn't mind his own beeswax! Oh well, he survived, he's just pissed. He'll cheer himself up with some cave shrimp. Mmmmm, shriiimp.

Ever since I read At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft I've been thinkin' bout those penguins. What do THEY all think of it? Were they chillin with the shoggoth until that dumb human guy got all curious? Was it sleeping? I wanted a blind albino penguin buddy of my own. So today I got the spark and quick made this guy out of my own pattern, felt, poly clay, paint, varnish, and then I accented the felt with pink marker. I hope it doesn't look too much like a parrot?

Well, I kinda want a little troop of these guys and then maybe I'll make a shoggoth and he can go bowling. Lmao.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BigBangMomma
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ongoing OTT Swap--Coming Mid-August!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019 08:12:04 PM »

I am not familiar with that story, but it sounds interesting. Also, I never would have though to do a mixed project with felt and poly clay. I hope Jeffrey finds himself happier in your home!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Little Visitor Swap Rd 29: Mr. Sparkles is visiting Scotland!
                                     Hosting Nessie!
Intro to Masterboard Technique Swap: Organizing and Sent!
Artist Trading Coins Rd 3: Sent!
Jumbo ATCs: Sent!
Mini 12 Days of Christmas: Waiting for Partners!
EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019 08:08:38 AM »

HA! I LURRRRRRRRRRRVE HIM. Seriously, the felt and polyclay work amazingly well together. You got very smooth joins. I'd love to see a mini-tutorial from you some time about how you prepare and attach your small clay pieces to your art dolls. The feet are especially nicely sculpted. I remember back on your art bracelet post when you mentioned doing one of these. I'm so glad you found the time. He's perfect. Wink Good luck with your eldritch bowling set...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019 03:34:26 PM »

You did an amazing job on those feet, wow! He's so horribly uncomfortable to look at. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Raging Sloth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019 08:36:15 PM »

HA! I LURRRRRRRRRRRVE HIM. Seriously, the felt and polyclay work amazingly well together. You got very smooth joins. I'd love to see a mini-tutorial from you some time about how you prepare and attach your small clay pieces to your art dolls. The feet are especially nicely sculpted. I remember back on your art bracelet post when you mentioned doing one of these. I'm so glad you found the time. He's perfect. Wink Good luck with your eldritch bowling set...  Grin

Lol, Honestly, I have no idea how to explain anything I do: like how I make patterns and stuff? I swear it's just luck? Its confusing. The joins are just, like, I leave the ends open and then just shove the clay piece in after gluing. XD  So far stuff has stayed on since I'm not playing with them. Although this mountain man guy I did's eyebrow fell off... not sure what kinda glue I used, though since that was awhile ago. lmao
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Raging Sloth

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019 08:36:56 PM »

You did an amazing job on those feet, wow! He's so horribly uncomfortable to look at. Great work!

Haha thanks! I was going for horribly uncomfortable.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019 08:44:13 AM »

Lol, Honestly, I have no idea how to explain anything I do: like how I make patterns and stuff? I swear it's just luck? Its confusing. The joins are just, like, I leave the ends open and then just shove the clay piece in after gluing. XD  So far stuff has stayed on since I'm not playing with them. Although this mountain man guy I did's eyebrow fell off... not sure what kinda glue I used, though since that was awhile ago. lmao

That helps, honestly. Smiley I understand now that you are inserting most of the clay pieces into the seams and spaces of the fabric parts, rather than attaching them over the felt. Gives a nice, clean join.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator

Ooooo... Stickers!

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019 10:36:05 AM »

So cool! He looks great Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019 01:06:01 PM »

I've read a fair amount of Lovecrafts' work, but, I don't think I've ever read that particular story, however, I'm certainly familiar with Shoggoths from some of his other stuff (and others who've homaged it).  I love that you took an element from that tale and expanded upon it and looked at things from the birds' perspective.

Excellent form and fiber/clay construction combo (very nice detail on the feet!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019 06:41:12 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...