A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,635
Currently Running With Scissors:
130 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pretty Skirts for "Crafting Comfort"  (Read 287 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
EriChanHime
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2019 05:47:52 AM »

These are two of the skirts I helped finish for the local sewing charity "Crafting Comfort." They partner with SAFE Alliance, which is a combo of women's and children's services for victims of violence, abuse, abandonment, and more. These skirt were going to their service for free nurse-provided forensic exams for rape victims. Since their clothes would be taken as evidence, this gives the nurse volunteers some pretty clothes (they also give out soft t-shirts, but those are purchased and donated) to give to the women after the exams that they can wear home and keep. The emphasis was on comfortable fit and cheery fabrics.

The skirts are simple 4-gore trumpet skirts, and the pieces were already cut and serged together in a previous work session. I made casings, ran the elastic through, sewed the hems, and added sizing tags. I completed 4 in the 2 hours I was there. Smiley Other ladies worked on fabric grocery bags, drawstring bags for children's toiletries, soft sleep masks, or chemo camisoles (to hold the pumps/ports).

I love sewing with this group. I don't get to go every time they meet, but they are always super welcoming. Everything is provided, including the machines, so you just show up and sew! This time, one of my best friends went with me, and they were happy to have her jump right in, too! A wonderful time and a wonderful cause to support.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019 06:58:52 AM »

Do you have a pattern reference? These look so comfy and pretty. What a great item to donate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019 08:15:53 AM »

Thank you, cmarion! While I was not involved in the pattern cutting phase, I expect it's the shorter version of this pattern, or one very similar: Burda Skirt 3152
https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/138
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019 01:00:13 PM »

what a great way to lend your crafty skills to help out others. thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019 08:45:44 AM »

Thank you, curiousfae! This is such a sweet group, and all the projects they do are so immediately relevant and impactful. It's wonderful to get to do something I love while making a difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Bow Sleeve T-Shirt
Fun and Games
Meal Prep Monday: Sausage and Veggie Foil Pouch

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...