A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
196 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making fern leaves  (Read 267 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
CatwithSevenToes
« on: May 20, 2019 10:28:56 AM »

Ok! This has been on the burner, but just recently came up with an axiom that may be of use for some people who have a desire to create their own leaves.

1. Get a feel for the leaf

The very first thing I do is search up images and get a feel for the leaves by drawing the veins first, then the leaves around those veins. The larger drawings are generic, and not to scale, where as the smaller drawings are far more accurate and aid me in designing "unique" leaves.
Now, if I were to make these leaves to scale, there'd be a lot more detail, but since I am working on making these at 1:12 scale, I am not overly worried about "detail", heh.
Species I'm working on: Doryopteris, either pedata or palmata, or a blending of the two. (Haven't narrowed them down as of yet).

Edit 1:
With these two species of ferns, the sterile leaves are very very similar to certain species of ivy. So, there's a dual purpose for those particular leaves. After thinking about it, even the larger leaves could be used for generic palms, perhaps even a Philodendron.

Edit 2:
Just recently I had read an article about using clay and a cookie cutter for a paper cutter. Which gave me an idea for these leaves. What I do, is I find a tray small enough for our toaster oven that we use specifically for the polymer clays, and I put a piece of parchment paper on it. Then I cut out the shapes I want fairly thick, and bake them. Then I peel off the paper and use them as guides to cut around.  However, I have found a device called the Sizzix Sidekick, and after some time, once I feel I can afford it (the chronic pains have been horrible lately), I'm going to contact the company and see if they can make dies for it.  If so, then I'll go that route, but until then, the clay templates work just fine. Plus, they're easy to mold into whatever shapes I so desire.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019 07:27:18 PM by CatwithSevenToes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Eureka!", He hollered as he scampered through the streets of Syracuse.
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019 03:21:22 PM »

Well that's a cool idea. Magnets, clever.

There's a WIP craftalong going on where you could also post this project. We are pretty rah-rah supportive of each other, it's a nice encouragement to keep things going to completion instead of ending up in a pile. I don't know what your crafting space is like but mine is full of abandoned projects, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CatwithSevenToes
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019 09:50:52 PM »

Well that's a cool idea. Magnets, clever.

There's a WIP craftalong going on where you could also post this project. We are pretty rah-rah supportive of each other, it's a nice encouragement to keep things going to completion instead of ending up in a pile. I don't know what your crafting space is like but mine is full of abandoned projects, lol.

I have the most weirdest deja vu.  I think I've come across that before, and when I searched for something like that before posting, I just didn't see it as I was thinking it'd be somewhere else... Shocked.  Meh! I think I may rename this if I can, as I've come to another far more interesting miniature which is going to be quite fascinating (for a weirdo like me anyway).

Not only can I do bipennate Adiantum and Platycerium, I had made successful attempts at Pteris cretica and Doryopteris pedata (though only the fertile leaf. Still have to figure out how to do the sterile fronds), and although I didn't finish the simple large Nephrolepis, enough was done that it'd be perfectly doable.

Idea 001: I believe I could pull of a small pendent with some form of epoxy with Microsorum leaves below and above water.

Edit 2: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Platycerium bifurcatum at 1:12 scale as a fridge magenet...Wrong color, but meh, bloooooooody awesome.

The rest of the pics are in this album.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019 03:01:17 PM by CatwithSevenToes - Reason: Fix errors. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019 06:23:53 AM »

Looking good! I really like the cat tree idea too, those are sure to be popular.

Have you considered die cuts for plants? That could greatly increase your production capacity while reducing time quite a bit. Machines like the Big-Shot etc are available at Micheal's and can be purchased with one of their coupons to keep the price way down. I buy lots of dies from aliexpress directly, they're super inexpensive (though shipping takes a while).A quick search finds this great set of little leaves. They may not be true to life and you seem to really know your plants. I think most people are not going to have that level of knowledge though and will be very happy with something nice looking at that scale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CatwithSevenToes
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019 10:41:01 PM »

Have you considered die cuts for plants?

Oh definitely.  Even searched up about designing my own dies.  Only trouble with either is until I can get a handle on my pains and get my mind back to working well enough to make any money, I'm kind of stuck with what I have or am allowed to buy. Hopefully I'll get that at least moderately figured out here in a few weeks, heh.

Anyhoo, with my pains being a bit worse, working on these leaves was just a tad too painful, so I am putting them off for the time being (the one leaf I did attempt came out pretty awful, heh).  However, I decided to attempt the Heliamphora leaves, and they are a tad easier on my shoulder, but probably won't get too many more done for a few days. Really need to relax,  Roll Eyes.

I'm going to turn these into earrings by using those little glass (preferably plastic) vials so they seem like tiny terrariums.

Here's what a Heliamphora is. It's a type of carnivorous plant native to South America.

How I did these, I used the scour with my combination square, and glued the paper around it. Then I cut off the excess paper, then reglued it again (I actually think the gluing twice is needed for these shapes. The first gluing holds the shape for cutting, then the second gluing seals the edges). Then I took a paint brush, and put the butt end in watered down glue, I would wipe the very tip off and lightly press it into the opening after cutting the lid to shape, and very carefully curl the lip. (That is so poorly written. I really need to try to take a video of these things, HAH!)

They may not be true to life and you seem to really know your plants. I think most people are not going to have that level of knowledge though and will be very happy with something nice looking at that scale.

Yeah, I know I take things way way waaaay too far, and I'm trying not to,  Grin.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019 10:59:00 AM by CatwithSevenToes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...