A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 322,854
Currently Running With Scissors:
115 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Star Trek Discovery: Ensign Sylvia Tilly Skant Costume  (Read 732 times)
Tags for this thread: star_trek , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
BenaeQuee
It's what I do, I drink and I sew things...

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2019 01:10:10 PM »

I LOVE Star Trek Discovery, and my favorite character is Ensign Sylvia Tilly! I knew as soon as I saw her that she'd be my favorite. She's just as quirky as I am and I love it. The added bonus is that she's ginger too! I was in awe of all the little details on the new Discovery uniforms. From the intricate top stitching to the tiny deltas on the sides of the jacket fronts. I knew I had to recreate this somehow.

When I finally settled on making the costume, I took it a step further. I crossed the fine details in the new uniforms with the feel of the TOS Skants worn in the 60's. I have a Red version of one of those and used it as inspiration for my design. Now, there is a Skant seen on Discovery, as worn by Commander Nhan, but I wanted something to call my own.

I draped and drafted until I was happy with a shape for the dress, and then drafted up all the detailed bits. Things like the deltas were all cut using my Silhouette Cameo II with a mirror foil stretch HTV (Heat Transfer Vinyl). I then had to puzzle piece the deltas onto the front side panels. The HTV sheets are only 10" x 12" and my panels were much larger and odd shaped. It took about two hours to get each panel cut, arranged, and pressed. Then it was just a matter of adding it to the side front pattern pieces. The stripes on the shoulder had to be cut by hand using a template I drafted. You can't just use straight lines due to the curve over the shoulder and under the arm. The side stripes were also cut by hand and carefully pressed into place in sections. Since the sheets are only so long, I had to overlap by about 1/8" in areas and be careful when pressing to not shift the next layer. The placket on zipper was made from navy blue cotton broadcloth and the HTV. I folded it over, pressed it to crease, and carefully stitched it to the zipper tape. It really finishes the zipper off nicely.

I think my favorite part to come up with was the cuffs on the sleeves. They open up and have a wrap around part on top. This way I can roll my sleeves up to wash my hands without worrying about the costume.

I really love the way that this came out and had a lot of fun wearing it at Awesome Con in Washington DC in April.
Build photos: https://imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/movietvartcostumes/discotilly

Photo by Maeden Cosplay, used with permission

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my FB page for more things by me Cheesy
https://www.facebook.com/BenaeQueeCostumer
EriChanHime
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019 01:31:12 PM »

This is stunning, crisp, professional-looking work. I love when fan-made costumes look like actual clothing as opposed to, well, costumes! Aside from the hilarious Star Trek length, this would totally be believable as an actual uniform top!I am super jealous of your Cricut... Someday...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019 03:27:25 PM »

WOW! This is such a great costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 39
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019 06:08:29 PM »

Fantastic sewing.  Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PattyO's Pinterest

15 year old daughter ISO a kid/teen craft swap partner!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019 06:30:07 AM »

Amazing detail, you did such an incredible job with this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BenaeQuee
It's what I do, I drink and I sew things...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019 09:47:18 AM »

This is stunning, crisp, professional-looking work. I love when fan-made costumes look like actual clothing as opposed to, well, costumes! Aside from the hilarious Star Trek length, this would totally be believable as an actual uniform top!I am super jealous of your Cricut... Someday...

Thank you! I'm actually considering making matching leggings to go with it for colder days and to just wear as awesome leggings lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my FB page for more things by me Cheesy
https://www.facebook.com/BenaeQueeCostumer
EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019 10:09:19 AM »

Excellent plan! Your legs will thank you. Both temperature-wise, but also for those occasional events where you might have to sit on the floor or do other things you might not want to do in a baby-doll dress. Cheesy Also, hooray for multi-purpose pieces!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

Peace and long life

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019 03:44:44 PM »

Your work is so inspiring and fun! The amount of detail and quality material really elevates it from 'costume' to 'cosplay', and really feels like it could live in the ST universe.

I'm so happy this exists in the world.

\m/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maimun

We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

aka MunLtStmpr

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019 05:57:15 PM »

Stunning work!!  I finally opened up my Cameo and that you did with the deltas gives me hope.  When I saw that fabric in some of the pre-launch coverage, I never thought of making it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019 11:02:28 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Bow Sleeve T-Shirt
Fun and Games
Meal Prep Monday: Sausage and Veggie Foil Pouch

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...