A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,485
Currently Running With Scissors:
206 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pet Cremains  (Read 469 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
JS

** Life: an amazing adventure. Pack well. **

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2019 08:18:33 AM »

This afternoon we will be saying good-bye to our beloved dog, Zena.  She has endured worsening eye issues (IOP - blindness) and we don't want her to continue suffering.  Her pain meds no longer seem to work.  Although my heart is breaking and we will miss her terribly, we must think of her comfort and well being.  I hate that I could not cure her issues or be a better petmommy.  Zena deserves a long, happy life - as do all pets.  To those of you who have lost a furbaby,  my deepest sympathies.  They are truly family.

DH refuses to have Zena buried on our land, outside in the elements.  It's touching of my big beefy husband to insist that she be kept inside, safe and warm and dry.  Zena will be cremated.  My crafty question is about her cremains,  What sort of container?  I want to make something but mentally am mush and cannot think beyond Ziplock baggies and Tupperware.  Recently we've had trees come down and I'd love something from their wood, perhaps inscribed with a wood burner .... Tips and suggestions greatly appreciated.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.

My STS Shop
BigBangMomma
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Living the @Lynx2Lancer life on Instagram!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019 09:19:52 AM »

I am so sorry for your loss. My dog is getting old too. It's hard to lose a special family member.

There are so many cool things that can be done with cremains. Last year, an online friend's 6 yo daughter died from the flu. It's so sad, as they did everything right. She took some of her ashes, and had them infused into a tattoo of her daughter's lip prints. She also sent some off to be made into a very beautiful and special ring.

I've looked online for what to do for my dog when her time comes, and haven't settled yet.  I do like to say I want to become a tree when I do (biourn.com)

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss, and best wishes for finding the perfect resting place for your sweet girl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Little Visitor Swap Rd 29: Mr. Sparkles is visiting Scotland!
                                     Hosting Nessie!
2019 Make-A-Friend Revival: Organizing and Crafting!
4x6 April/May 2019--Sent!
I Love Houseplants Swap: Crafting!
May Ongoing Atc Swap: 2 claimed/sent/received
LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019 10:47:35 AM »

JS, I am so absolutely sorry about the loss of your fur baby!  My condolences to the entire family!  Cry Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
ETSY SHOP: www.etsy.com/shop/LadybuggirlCrafts
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

Too blessed to be stressed! Smiley
Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019 11:35:43 AM »

I'm sorry that you felt it was time to put your dog to sleep; losing a pet is never easy.

All of our pets are buried in the yard . . . and because I'm the man (or at least I pretend to be one), I always get stuck being the gravedigger.  I dig a grave, swaddle the deceased animal up in a baby blanket, along with some of their favorite toys and treats, and then bury them like that.

As far as making a cremation urn out of the wood in your yard goes, a square/rectangular box, or a barrel-like cylinder (made from slats), are the two shapes that come immediately to mind.  If you've got a large enough piece of wood, and want something more rough/natural-looking (or carved), you could also try hollowing out a cavity in an appropriately-sized solid chunk of wood for the ashes too.

Maybe just have a look around your local stores too and see if anything strikes your fancy; there are any number of small containers that would work as an urn, even if that isn't their intended purpose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019 01:59:27 AM »

Awwww - I am sorry you lost your baby.  It is heartbreaking how short their lives are in relation to ours.  Jim made a wood box with fitted lid for his grandmother's ashes when she passed, and I wood burned the top of it with a cladagh and her name, and we added a resin and metal charm that held her wedding ring, as per the request of his dad and aunts. 

As for our own furbabies - we were going to bury them at a property of the family's but I am like your husband, once we got their ashes back, I could not stand to bury them either, and they both are in commercially available urns near art work of them made by myself and other Craftsters, so I can still say goodnight/good morning to them.  Maybe one day they may be buried, but not yet Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019 03:29:13 PM »

I haven't got any practical suggestions but (((HUGS))) to you friend. I am sorry to hear this sad news. I know you are grateful for many years of love and devotion but this has got to be so wrenching to go through. XO
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019 09:44:56 AM »

I'm sorry for your loss.  They leave such a gaping hole in our hearts when we lose them. 

I don't have a suggestion for a container, but there are several glass makers & glass blowers who will create something that incorporates a pinch of the loved ones ashes into something like a glass bowl or a sun catcher or even just a glass sculpture.  I've always loved the idea of rays of sunlight pouring in my windows, and illuminating a beautiful piece of glass, to help me remember a loved one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JS

** Life: an amazing adventure. Pack well. **

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019 06:37:40 PM »

Thank you all, very, very much for the condolences and suggestions.  They are greatly appreciated.  The pinch of ashes incorporated into something is a sweet idea.  Maybe a pinch in resin, on top of a box made from our wood, with something engraved.  DH wants a tattoo.

This coming weekend is DS1's graduation, and the following weekend is his party.  I will be occupied with all the details for those (do we all have appripriate outfits, cleaned and ironed, where are our dress shoes, no a brown left doesn't match a navy right, is everything ordered, invitations mailedOMGnotYet, etc) but will keep revisiting this thread and rereading the ideas.  DH is already searching online sites for another dog.  Although there is a huge emptiness, it is too soon for a replacement pet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.

My STS Shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
May 22, 2019 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Slick Coat Rack
Give Me a Hand

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...