A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
235 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tiamat cut-out figurine  (Read 420 times)
Tags for this thread: tiamat , goddess , cutout  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Patraw

C'mon, pegasister, quit foaling around!

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2019 02:53:39 PM »

Tiamat was the primordial saltwater ocean goddess of ancient Mesopatamian religions.  Her matings with the freshwater god, Abzu, produced the younger gods and goddesses as well as a variety of monsters.  She later waged war against said offspring, and her son, the storm god Marduk, slew and dismembered her.  Tiamat's ribs became the heavens and the earth, her weeping eyes the Euphrates and Tigris Rivers, and her tail the Milky Way.  Happy Mother's Day I guess?

Said story is arguably the classic example of patriarchy overthrowing and replacing matriarchy.  

This cut-out figurine is modeled on Tiamat's depiction in the Japanese PC Engine CD video game Princess Minerva.  I chose the back view, rather than the front, because I felt that was more mysterious and dramatic.  Rather than the true goddess, the Tiamat(s) in said game are actually normal girls and women that have been transformed into monsters (defeating them presumably causes them to revert back to their human forms, or, at least that's what I choose to believe, as I really don't want to think that Minerva and her entourage are rampaging across the countryside murdering hundreds of her female subjects that were involuntarily transformed into creatures).

I drew her in pencil, inked my linework, and then colored Tiamat in with regular and watercolor pencils and a little acrylic paint.  I then glued her onto 3 layers of cardboard (sealing the illustration with white glue too while I was at it), cut her out, and mounted her on a similarly-fabricated cardboard base (I just happened to have a heart-shaped McDonald's Spider-man 2 watch ring on my computer desk and decided to trace that shape).  This was kind of a trip back in time for me, because, before I started making 3-dimensional figures, this was the sort of thing that I used to do instead.  While it's certainly not as impressive as a 3-dimensional figure would be, it's also a lot quicker and easier to do.

And here's a bonus sketch of Divada that I also did this morning and probably won't ever finish.  She's my favorite character from the SNES/Genesis fighting game Weaponlord.  I also REALLY like that name, and, if I ever have a daughter, it's definitely in my top three picks for naming her (Astrida & Cleo are the other two).  Divada belonged to a clan of sorcerers, but their women were forbidden to practice magic.  Divada said piss on that, I have higher aspirations than becoming a brood mare, murdered her father and brothers, and taught herself to became a sorceress anyway.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019 02:19:34 PM by Patraw » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019 03:07:33 PM »

You are the ultimate multi-media crafter. Your projects are made out of STUFF and also, WORDS! Like, who else builds an entire story to showcase their work? Awesome, dude. You rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever the question, the answer is always CRAFTING! It's the fix for all the sicks. Makes me feel better every time.

and remember, ALWAYS USE THE GOOD BEADS, YARN, FABRIC!

Love you all, thank you so much for everything. XO
gozer
If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019 05:42:23 AM »

It took me so long to figure out how this was made. I wasn't sure if it was a digital image. It looks amazing. I'm guessing it's pretty small if you traced the Spiderman ring as a template for the base. Smaller is always harder so kudos! I also enjoy the mystery part of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019 02:05:57 PM »

I didn't measure her, but, I'd estimate she's around 3 inches tall.  I probably should have went with 2-ply cardboard instead of 3, as that was murder on my fingers to cut with scissors (I used cuticle scissors for the trickiest bits, and also a hole-puncher for the closed off inside loop of her tail/thigh).

The Spider-man heart watch ring is pretty big, by ring standards, here's a stock photo of it:

I think I have two of those things (I got them both, like all of my jewelry, in bags of random girls toys at thrift stores).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patraw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019 01:20:39 PM »

For scale, here's a photo I took of the figurine and ring with my new tablet earlier:

And, um, because:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patraw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019 01:42:14 PM »

And these are all around 15-20 years old, but, here are some more examples of the similar types of paper figurines that I used to make (either 2-dimensional, or a combination of 2D and 3D elements):

Beetlejuice:

Phantom (Blood)

Ayane (Dead or Alive)

Dr. Mario diorama

(Close-up of the Toad anatomy poster)

Siren figure & pattern (Final Fantasy VIII)

Female Archer, Chemist, Ninja & Summoner (Final Fantasy Tactics)

Clash, Minx, Rapture & Riot (Jem)

Mariaha (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

Amano Hyo  (Last Blade)

Mature & Mai Shiranui w/South Park style Joe Higashi  (King of Fighters)

to change your image viewing settings please click here

Spiral Vs. Psylocke  (X-men: Children of the Atom)

Link  (The Legend of Zelda)

Jubei Yaggyu  (Samurai Shodown)

Uriel  (Quake 3: Arena)

Man-E-Faces  (Masters of the Universe)

Gravedigger (Spawn; he also happens to be one of my favorite toys of all time, I've still got one hanging on my bedroom wall, unopened, in his original packaging!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...