A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,581
Currently Running With Scissors:
209 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby Groot's Nostalgic Easter Outfit  (Read 465 times)
Tags for this thread: groot , hawaiian_shirt , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
EriChanHime
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: May 03, 2019 10:36:51 AM »

Remember the days when all kids got special (frequently home sewn) outfits for Easter? I lost those privileges after I dragged a white dress through an oil slick while looking at the pretty "rainbows" and also used my Easter hat for a Frisbee, but hey, Baby Groot is a good boy all around, so he deserved one!  Grin This particular figure is a 1:1 (literally the realistic scale for the one from Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 film), and he's been with me for about a year. He gets dressed in many various outfits and toted around for amusing photo ops in pretty places (I don't have kids or pets, so he's the very cooperative substitute).

I've wanted to make Groot his own Aloha Shirt/Hawaiian shirt since I got him, but didn't have time to do it before going to Hawaii in January (although I WAS able to buy him one there for photos--it came from a souvenir stuffed bear). Easter seemed a good reason to finish the project, and in a fit of sudden motivation I made the entire outfit on Good Friday after work!

This particular outfit is not only 100% self-drafted and handmade, but very personal. My Dad has worn Hawaiian shirts to work for most of my life, and this tiny shirt is made from the shirt I have the strongest memories of him wearing when I was a kid. It was damaged at some point and ended up in the garbage bin with tiny holes all over it (I think soda spilled on it). I rescued it and saved it for craft projects!

After measuring and drawing my patterns, I used the pre-sewn hems of the shirt, and cut out my little pattern pieces from places that had the nicest motifs. I constructed it flat, and then sewed the side seams, which I have found to be much easier than doing set-in sleeves, sewing at this scale!

Since this is a doll-sized shirt, it was important to me to have to-scale buttons and closures, without the large gap that usually happens when you sew snaps or Velcro to something this size. I experimented and realized that by using thread loops (make 2-3 long stitches over the same space, then cover them with buttonhole stitch) and the hook half of a hook-and-eye set, I could get it to meet perfectly without gapping, so it looks like it's actually buttoned! I was so pleased that it worked. Smiley

Dad almost always wore khaki slacks with this shirt, so Baby Groot needed some, too. These are made from some random stash fabric, and have an elastic waistband; I spent a while adjusting the bottoms so he could get his feet through but not looking like he was swimming in fabric. All the seams on the inside of both pieces have been finished with tight zigzag stitches, so these little suckers are totally miniature clothing, capable of standing up to actual wear and tear.

And here's the final outfit, just before I packed him up to go to my parents' house for the holiday. When I saw him dressed up, I had such a wash of childhood nostalgia I actually teared up a bit! And then when I showed him to my parents, THEY DID, TOO!  Cheesy Baby Groot in his cute clothing is now perched on a bookcase in my living room, beaming at me.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019 10:40:31 AM »

STOP! That little shirt is just over the top cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019 10:42:38 AM »

Thank you, kittykill!  Grin

I also brought him with me to see Endgame this past weekend, and he was definitely the best-dressed kid at the theater.  Wink

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019 11:04:21 AM by EriChanHime » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
greybird

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019 11:16:03 AM »

So cute!  I especially love that shirt!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019 12:09:48 PM »

That is way too adorable! I love that baby Groot shares your dad's love for Hawaiian shirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019 03:52:06 PM »

Sewing tiny clothes is sooo difficult. You did a terrific job, bravo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

Peace and long life

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019 05:40:49 PM »

My father was also a huge fan of the Hawaiian shirt. I wonder if it was a generational thing?  What a great project of happiness. I love it.

\m/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019 08:18:12 AM »

Wow! Amazing job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019 11:59:31 AM »

Thank you so much, everyone! (Sorry, was away from my stuff mostly over the weekend).

I agree that the Hawaiian shirts seem to be a bit generational. Both my parents also lived in Hawaii for a while (also where they met and got married!), so he comes by it honestly. Wink

I had so much fun making this, and I will say--I tend to make a lot of art dolls and I'm quite pleased with most of them--this is by far my most perfect miniature garment in terms of finishing and function! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover

Live long and prosper

Peace and long life

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019 01:43:08 PM »

I have the most trouble with clothing! I have 4 hand stitched jointed cloth dolls with hair attached and eyes all embroidered just sitting around in their birthday suits cos I lost oomph on the clothing.  There will probably be another doll or two before the first is ever clothed. Shameless. So I'm DOUBLE proud of you!!

My parents do not have that neat way-they-met story! So romantical!  I think my dad just liked Magnum PI and Hawaii 5-0.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Collapsible Tier Tray
Well, Hello (Art)Dolly!
Meatless Monday: Green Tomato Pie

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...