A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
258 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Miniature Coffee & End tables  (Read 296 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
CatwithSevenToes
Weirdo

Chronic pain sufferer who's a might flaky, ;-).

View Profile WWW
« on: April 28, 2019 08:07:57 PM »

https://i.imgur.com/sOHuOsJ.jpg (Measurements in image are to actual size. They'll be shrunk down once I start working on it)

My next task, whilst I work upon my itty bitty wall hanging Platycerium,  is an itty bitty 1:12 scale coffee table.  I used our couch as measurements, but considering the type of tables I'm making, I don't think size will be a problem.  Plus, they could be used as decoration in front of a double pain window.  

The real tricky part, will be testing the mulberry to ensure it's dry enough to use for this project, but I should not have any issues with gluing the mulberry to the Russian olive that I'll use as an inlay.  One thing I have been wondering about, what to do with the top of the coffee table chest.  Hinge it, or make it where it is just inserted onto the chest.  I think for sanity's sake I'll just make it as an insert.  I do plan on making the Russian olive insert off center, as I think that would yield the best look.  Either way, I'm kind of interested in seeing what the final product looks like.

Edit: After thinking about it, I do still have some cedar laying around, and that would probably look better with the mulberry.  So I'll test the two different kinds of woods.

Edit 2: Well, I can see the planks are going to be a bit difficult to pull off, considering some of my tools are a little worn.  Meh, I'll get it.  It'll just take a bit of time.

Edit 3: https://i.imgur.com/e5BVsVK.jpg Well, the experiment was a bust.  It does look good, but it's definitely not flat.  Hmm! I think the sanding by hand bowed it out.  I'll have to try a few things out.  Anyway, this is going to look quite nifty, I think.

Edit 4: Ok! I've decided to put that off and just build them out of veneer or 1/8th in. plywood.  My table saw is in need of upgrading, and my chronic pains plus memory issues are just too much for me to be alert enough. So for safety's sake, I better put off using logs for anything other than my mini lathe.  So this might take me a while to get done, as I don't have the funds to go out and buy wood (trying to see a doctor so I can get back to work, heh).  Anyway, I'll post links to some things I've seen that would aid me in doing this if by some miracle I can get these pains and mental issues under control...

https://youtu.be/zVh0zfkvlhc Mill lumber with a table saw.
https://youtu.be/XebIOAaPhhU Build a tablesaw sled. (This is a little overblown, but the general concept is sound).
https://youtu.be/bGxskWwOYeE Make a thin strip ripping jig.  Although, the last link would be well enough, this is still something that I might look into later.

Edit 5: https://i.imgur.com/H1WTfKO.jpg Well, since I was bored, and did have some pieces already cut, I went ahead and slapped them together. So, using the cedar as a trim instead of an inlay, this is what the lid of the chest would look like.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019 07:19:51 AM by CatwithSevenToes - Reason: Added pic of the lid » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Eureka!", He hollered as he scampered through the streets of Syracuse.
CatwithSevenToes
Weirdo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019 04:31:14 PM »

Miniature mulberry, cedar trim chest coffee table, end table, plus a 1:12 scale 4x10 herb planter, and a Russian olive candy dish...

I had made a few planks before I decided not to use my table saw, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. So I just sanded like hell and finished these.  Not perfect, I do need to upgrade my clamps, and get a small vice, and have some better eyes installed, but meh, still darn cool...

(Drat! Still need to make a few more posts before I can add an image...Oh well, just click on the link above).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019 04:32:21 PM by CatwithSevenToes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CatwithSevenToes
Weirdo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019 08:38:58 PM »

Legends CC6648 bookcase

I had thought about making a couch to match these, but decided on a bookcase.  I used to be a furniture delivery boy (why I'm in so much pain now) back between 2000 and 2002, and had delivered hundreds of these, and I think a complete Mulberry one would be awesome. So that's my next task.

Using a scrap piece of wood, I was able to (safely) cut up a piece of the mulberry I had split in two and made enough 1/8th inch thin planks.  So they'll do nicely. Plus, I had taken a full branch, about 3 inches wide, and made one large plank that would be perfect for the backing of the bookcase.  I'll have to thin it up to the point of it splitting, though. I might glue a piece of paper or thin cardboard to the back of it just to hold it together so it doesn't fall apart during the sanding (which sucks beyond belief as I don't have anything better than my hand to sand with, O_o, yikes). Just have to sand them in spurts, so it will take a while, but I bet it's going to look very interesting. The Mulberry finished beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greybird
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019 09:18:27 PM »

These are beautiful!  Great job!  Smiley  I also really love the wood you used in your project and that the table opens.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CatwithSevenToes
Weirdo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019 07:17:55 AM »

These are beautiful!  Great job!  Smiley  I also really love the wood you used in your project and that the table opens.  Smiley

Thanks!

Miniature mulberry, cedar trim chest coffee table, end table, plus a 1:12 scale 4x10 herb planter, and a Russian olive candy dish...

I did get the bookcase made (out of Mulberry, too), and added 2 planters and a vase I made out of Russian olive as I actually think the Russian olive wood goes well with the Mulberry wood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...