A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
293 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My wedding cake is finished!  (Read 1025 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Be kind to yourself

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 25, 2019 09:40:18 AM »

I'm getting married in about 5 weeks and my original plan for a cake was to have a choc biscuit cake tier. Toffee rice Krispie cake tier and a traditional rich fruit cake tier. But then I realised that I would be making it and icing it a couple of days before the wedding, because two of the tiers wouldn't keep very long, and I will so much more to do that week. So I decided to make a traditional rich fruit cake in two layers because this keeps for months

In the end it became three layers because I had a can in the cupboard of mango puree, that was the perfect size for the top layer. So I baked the cakes using Delia Smith's recipe, her recipes always work.

Then marzipan and two layers of royal icing. I decided against fondant for the main part of the icing, because I don't really like the taste.

I had ordered a load of silicon moulds from AliExpress. So we used fondant to make shapes that were hand painted with food colouring when dry. And glittered.

The theme of the cake is the four elements, it goes from water at the bottom, earth for the middle layer, flowers in red and orange to represent fire and air is represented by butterflies on top.

Getting the royal icing smooth was the most difficult part. It's still not perfectly smooth, but it's good enough. I had lots of fun sticking on the fondant shapes. And by a happy happy coincidence, I bought a cake plate at a thrift store today and it works perfectly (and is not floating despite what your eyes are telling you)

Cake plate picture
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019 10:21:17 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love a personal swap with you.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019 10:02:30 AM »

#1-Mazel Tov on the impending nuptials!
#2-Holy hot dog that is the most amazing cake I've ever seen!!!  I would totally be bragging at the wedding if I were you!
The cake plate is a nice touch, did you buy it with that in mind or was it a happy accident once you got home?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Be kind to yourself

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019 10:07:40 AM »

The plate was a happy accident-don't you love those? I bought it with some other desserts in mind, but it fits the cake perfectly.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
geekgirl1000100
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019 10:12:31 AM »

Its beautiful!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019 10:19:06 AM »

The plate was a happy accident-don't you love those? I bought it with some other desserts in mind, but it fits the cake perfectly.

YES!!!! Those are the best!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Be kind to yourself

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019 10:21:57 AM »

I just realised I never added the picture of the cake plate happy accident. It's there now
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019 10:44:56 AM »

That cake is so fab!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019 11:22:20 AM »

That is an awesome (and, I expect, tasty) way to celebrate your wedding. You've done a wonderful job with the decorating and theme. I also applaud going the Royal icing route. I agree with you that fondant tastes lousy. I do not want my cakes to have a rind, thank you...  Grin Congratulations on your coming wedding! I hope it is joyful and as low stress as possible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019 11:59:36 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR UPCOMING NUPTIALS!   Grin  Kiss

WOW! This is amazing! It looks very professional! I am very curious about this traditional rich fruit cake idea, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 75
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Be kind to yourself

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019 05:28:37 AM »

Wedding cakes in this part of the world were always a rich fruitcake, the flour/eggs are only there to stick the fruit together. For a 6" cake you use about 17oz dried fruit and 4 Oz flour. And no raising agents, but plenty of spice. So it's a moist spicy cake, that keeps really well. Once baked-, some people feed it for a couple of weeks with brandy or other spirit. It's then covered with marzipan and royal icing (confectioners sugar+egg white+lemon juice, and a more modern addition of liquid glycerine, because without it the icing goes rock hard)

It will keep forever. Traditionally in Ireland, you kept one tier and after the birth of your first baby, (usually about 9 months later Wink ) you used the wedding cake tier as a christening cake. Generally at that stage the icing will have yellowed, and be tooth breakingly hard, so people would take off the old icing and re-ice it.

A new baby for me would be a miracle. So the cake will be eaten and given away
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019 05:29:45 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...