A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,772
Currently Running With Scissors:
273 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Help - Mummy Trophy  (Read 422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Eclectic_Paul
« on: April 20, 2019 08:44:32 PM »

Not sure where to post this.  We need some advice.
My daughter and I are making a mummy statue for my wife.  She (wife) is a teacher, and she does a mummy contest every year (when she teaches Egypt).  The idea is the mummy statue will be like a mummy version of an Oscar.  The mummy will mount on a perpetual trophy base.
So... we got one of those wood articulated mannequins, maybe 6 inches tall, from a craft store.  My daughter used cloth (cotton tee shirt) strips and glue to mummify the mannequin.  Then, VERY thin bailing wire to pose the arms crossed in front of the chest.  The bailing wire is pressed close to the mummy so it is not obvious.  The result is a very convincing mummy that is not gold.

Here comes the problem.
The plan was to spray paint it gold.  But, cotton is soft, so I am pretty sure if I just paint it as-is, it will look great until someone touches it.  Even a light touch, the cotton will give a little, and the paint will flake off.  I haven't painted it yet, but I am pretty sure that is what will happen unless I somehow harden the cloth first. 
So, is there something I could spray on the cotton to harden it and make it ready for the paint?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019 07:33:53 AM »

If you post a photo it won't show up because you have not met the required minimum of posts here yet but a moderator can insert it into the post for you so we can see it and have a better idea of your project.

I think spray paint will stick to fabric and not flake off at all. It sure stays on your clothes if you accidentally get it on yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
Eclectic_Paul
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019 09:40:56 AM »

Well, but it will crack, right?  I was wondering if I sprayed it with polyeurethane or maybe mod podge?
I gotta figure out the picture thing.  I only have to make 10 posts right?  Maybe I can just find 9 other threads to comment on.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eclectic_Paul
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019 06:26:14 PM »

Here are some photos of what we are doing.  Do you think coating it with mod podge or spray adhesive first would be advisable?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019 06:38:35 PM »

That looks cool! I was just at Michael's with my teenager looking for a Krylon spray paint he uses to customize Bionicles, it's a certain paint that sticks to plastic and will not crack or flake it bent. While there, the clerk mentioned another spray paint that she said works on everything, even fabric. I took a photo for you, I'll upload it in a few mins when I find my phone...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
Eclectic_Paul
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019 07:06:16 PM »

Thanks.  We got a trophy like this one, and got it engraved with "Best Mummy Rap" and the names of the 2 annual winners so far. 
Once the mummy is painted, we will cut the football off, drill a hole for the metal rod, and mount it on top. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019 07:49:03 PM »

Here it is, Design Master. You might want to do a base coat of white before the gold, for maximum coverage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi

Opa!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019 12:28:43 AM »

The problem with paint on fabric isn't that it will come off; just the opposite, it will soak in--and not get a smooth, shiny finish.

Sealing your lovely mummy with white glue or mod podge will help.  Plan on at least two coats.

I would use a spray paint that is formulated for plastic to go over the glue.  My favorite is Rustoleum 2X.  I've never tried their metallics, so don't know how they'll come out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Measure once, cuss twice.
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
Eclectic_Paul
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019 06:45:23 PM »

Thanks for all the help.  I will let you know how it comes out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Potholders!
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...