A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
150 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Library Exhibit  (Read 835 times)
Tags for this thread: papier_mache , figure , display , exhibit , library , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2019 11:01:46 AM »

My city's library director put out a call, on Facebook, looking for local artists to showcase their work in the library's display case.  While I was interested, at first, I wasn't sure if I really wanted to do something like that or not, but, I eventually caved, and, last Friday, since the case was still empty, I asked her if anybody had come forward yet or not, and she said that they hadn't, so I offered to do it and she accepted.  In the past, Craftster members have asked me if they could see all of my figures displayed together (which, as I've literally made hundreds, isn't really practical), so, while this certainly isn't all of them (just 66), at least it's something.  You may recognize some of them that I've posted on Craftster in the past, many others I've never shared here, as they pre-date my membership.  I also brought some larger (relatively speaking) pieces with me, but, when I was setting up the display, on Monday morning, I ultimately decided not to use them, as I felt that they'd break up the consistency of the arrangement, so I only used smaller figures.

The ancient wood and glass display case doesn't have any wheels or anything, and it's fairly heavy, so, it has to be slowly dragged/slid across the carpet to access the door on the back.  The librarian told me that things on display inside tend to slide around as a result, so, to prevent any mishaps (you haven't lived if you've never had one figure topple over and take out a bunch of others with it, in a domino-like fashion), I cut out a bunch of cardboard disc bases and glued all of my figures down onto those, and that worked great, not a single figure fell once I had everything set up and moved the case back up against the wall.  The door on the case doesn't have a lock or anything on it either; it's just held shut (poorly) with a piece of masking tape--I'm a trusting soul, so, I have faith that no one will steal anything.  Rainbow Dash also promised me that anybody that sticks their hand inside the display case uninvited is going to lose a finger, and I believe her, that pegasus' teeth are sharp!  (Plus she really enjoys biting humans to begin with.)

The librarian didn't tell me that I couldn't, but, since young children frequent the library, I made sure not to select anything that was gory, potentially controversial, or had any nudity, which excluded a fair number of my pieces.  I did briefly contemplate making some tiny brassiers to cover up some of my female mythical creatures' bare bosoms, but, I was ultimately too lazy to do that (cutting out all of those bases and gluing the figures' feet to them was work enough!)  Rainbow Dash lectured me that (1) I don't know the first thing about bras anyway, (2) my modesty-challenged creations had to stay home, and (3) that if I didn't make that kind of stuff to begin with, this would never be an issue.

Top shelf (sorry the pics aren't the greatest, I used my Nintendo 2DS to take them instead of my digital camera):

Middle shelf:

Bottom shelf:

If anybody wants to see a better/sharper picture of any particular figure, let me know, and I can grab one from my web site and post it in this thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019 11:09:57 AM »

HOLY HOT DOG this is incredible!  What an awesome exhibit!  Rainbow Dash should be proud!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019 11:46:16 AM »

WAHHHH This Is AMAZING! I wish we could visit your library Mark, my kids would go bonkers over that collection. Wow, dude. Just wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019 12:02:55 PM »

Your figures are incredible. They looks so cool all together like that. I know a lot of people are going to be oggling that shelf. I would be! I'd love to see some more detailed pics. This is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019 12:05:38 PM »

Yay for stepping up and yay for displaying all of these awesome tiny things.

Many kids and adults will be inspired. Next you'll be teaching everyone how to do that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Junk Journal-along in the Misc. Topics board
Altered Puzzle Pieces coming soon....
Another 4 x 6 Art Swap
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019 03:07:08 PM »

WOW! What a cool library practice, but all the cooler with so many of your magnificent figures all together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 36
SonjaBoo

Release the Craftin'!

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019 04:58:09 PM »

Very cool, Patraw! Congrats on the exhibit.

I collect PEZ dispensers and totally know what it's like to have one fall over and then see the domino effect. You came up with a great solution for displaying your pieces!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019 05:49:39 AM »

Fantastic display Patraw! So impressive. Thanks for sharing. I would love to see more detailed pics as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019 06:51:21 AM »

I WISH my local library asked for local artisans to showcase their work!  The library workers choose what is going to be displayed and it tends to be the same things over and over again.

Patraw, I am so glad that your artistry was able to be put on display for all to see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
ETSY SHOP: www.etsy.com/shop/LadybuggirlCrafts
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

Too blessed to be stressed! Smiley
MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019 07:31:40 AM »

What an impressive display, you rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...