A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
178 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swirled Easter Eggs with Sharpies!  (Read 349 times)
Tags for this thread: easter_egg , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
EriChanHime
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2019 07:48:39 AM »

Last night I had a random crafting bug, and remembered I had 2-3 dozen blown egg shells from a couple years ago that I had never done anything with! A couple web searches for things I could do with items I already had around my house and this won.

I used this tutorial: https://happyhooligans.ca/tie-dye-easter-eggs-sharpies-alcohol/

Even not quite knowing what I was doing yielded very attractive results, and I plan to get more Sharpies today so I can make more colors. Also, I decided to use my Dremel to make a pretty pattern on the one I made for my parents (again, something I bought the diamond dust bits for at least 2 years ago, but never did).

**A couple notes about Dremel-ing egg shells: 1. Wear a mask of some kind; that dust is very breathable; 2. Buy the right bits; the ones from the hardware store will not cut it for this kind of project - the cracked egg that I used for my tests is the result of a normal bit from a couple years ago**

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019 08:23:08 AM »

Wow! So pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019 11:14:31 AM »

Very cool, I particularly like the dremeled ones.  I'm surprised an egg shell can withstand the pressure from a (small) power tool.  Was it hard to keep the bit's tip on the egg, without it sliding off, given that it's a curved surface?  I have seen photos of incredibly intricate carved eggs in the past, but, I think the artist(s) used tiny saws or something, not a dremel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019 05:51:32 AM »

Thank you! I was delighted how they came out. I also finished putting together the egg ornament for my parents. Metallic embroidery floss and beads for a hanging loop.

Patraw, I found that with the diamond dust bit (not expensive, but something you have to buy online or at a specialty store), if I put the Dremel to between the 6 and 8 speed settings, and make sure the tip (the one I selected looks like a very skinny cone, point side down) meets the egg at a 90 degree angle, it worked fine. It only jumped around once, and that was because my angle was weird. You hold the tip against the egg for a moment and then begin applying more pressure slowly until it breaks through. The bigger the hole you want, the further you insert the bit into the shell.

I've seen pictures of those amazingly carved eggs, and watched some videos, and I remember two main takeaways. First, I think they are often using goose eggs, which are larger and have much sturdier shells than the grocery store chicken eggs I was using. Second, many of them are using rotary tools, but they aren't Dremels; in the few info videos I watched, they were using either specialty rotary tools or in at least one case, modified dentist drills. I think in order to get results like theirs, I would need to buy higher quality bits and stronger eggs. But these tools worked nicely for the level of project I was wanting to create. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019 07:24:33 AM »

Those turned out lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 37
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019 02:05:57 PM »

They look amazing! We're going to colour eggs at our Aunt's on Sunday but she hard boils them first so no sharpie marker on those. I'll try it some other time though, we get nice farm fresh eggs from a neighbour, they have really hard shells.
I've seen people rub the finished eggs with a bit of oil to make them shine, yours would look great with a shiny coat Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhinoceroses
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019 08:18:48 AM »

These turned out so neat! Ornaments are a great idea. They would make such an impressive (if delicate) garland!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019 10:46:34 AM »

Thank you, everyone! I had a lot of fun, and my parents were very pleased with their egg ornament. I would definitely be afraid to make a garland with chicken eggs, but goose might work? Also, yes, Sharpies on eggs you plan to eat is probably not a great idea; hopefully you get to try it on the not-eaten ones eventually, craftylittlemonkey!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza
@Home This Weekend: Dish Soap Apron
Tute Tuesday: Daisy Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...