A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
181 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted Car Accessories - With free Seat Belt Cozy pattern!  (Read 517 times)
Tags for this thread: car , seatbelt , cozy , free_pattern , free_crochet_pattern , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 09, 2019 05:53:07 PM »

My husband & I have been a 1 car family since we were dating.  Somehow, this always worked for us.  For a while we worked near one another during the same shift, later I walked to work and he took the car to his job, and after that I started working from home.  This helped us save money, and was good for the environment, but over the past year it has been hard.  With his job further away from the house, and me often handling our errands and things like taking the dog to the vet, it seemed time to get a second car.  He got a Fiat 500e, and I inherited our cheerful little red Prius-C, whom I promptly named Miss Scarlet.

Since it became mine, I've been wanting to make it a bit more 'me' that I did when it was a shared vehicle.  So I have been working over the last few weeks to create some crocheted accessories for it, including a steering wheel cover, shifter knob cozy, and finally some seat belt cozies.  The steering wheel cover was made from Sylver Santika's Steering Wheel Cozy pattern with I Love This Cotton! yarn in black, burnt sienna & strawberry violet.  If you give the pattern a go, be sure to pay close attention to the pattern, which requires specific gauge sizing, and three different hook sizes.  If you're not careful about the gauge, you could end up with a cover that is too loose and slides around while you drive.

I made up the pattern for the shifter knob, without paying much attention.  The center circle is a granny circle, similar to the one found HERE. After that I worked a few rows of sc in the round, and finished with 2 rows of dc, in which I didn't connect the ends with a slip stitch, but rather simply turned the work and crocheted in the opposite direction, decreasing as necessary to try to get the right size for my shifter knob.  There was some trial and error, and frogging of stitches, before I got it to the right size.  I actually sat in the car in the garage for a while, stitching in the car so I could keep testing it!  Cheesy  Once I was happy with it, I put it onto the knob, then used the tail of the yarn to stitch those last two rows closed around the shaft.  The yarn was the same I Love This Cotton!, with the addition of the color pewter.

Finally there were the seat belt cozies.  Being very short, I often have problems with seat belts cutting into my neck, and so I created some nice soft cozies to keep from being scratched while I drive.  I went with a fun striped pattern and mismatched buttons to increase the crafty girl vibe.  I've written out the pattern below.  (You can also find it on Ravelry HERE.)

Striped Seat Belt Cozies

Materials:
-worsted weight yarn in 4 colors (I used I Love This Cotton! in black, pewter, burnt sienna & strawberry violet)
-4.5 crochet hook
-yarn needle
-scissors
-five 1/2 or 5/8 buttons per cozy
-hand sewing needle
-button thread

Skill Level: Easy

Abbreviations:
Ch = chain
Hdc = half double crochet
Dc = double crochet

Notes: Written in US crochet terms.  When changing colors, you can stitch over the tail of the new yarn, leaving less ends to weave in.

Color A: Black
Color B: Red
Color C: Grey
Color D: Purple

Instructions:
Row 1: With color B chain 22. Hdc in 3rd ch from hook. Hdc in each st across. (21 hdc)

Row 2: Change to color A. Ch 2, turn work, hdc in same st and each st across. NOTE: Ch 2 does NOT count as hdc from here on. (21 hdc)

Row 3: Ch3, turn work. Dc in same st, ch 1 and skip next hdc to form buttonhole. Dc in remaining sts across. (20 dc & 1 ch 1 sp)

Row 4: Ch 2, turn work. Hdc in same st and each st across. (21 hdc)

Row 5: Change to color C. Ch 2, turn work, hdc in same st and each st across. (21 hdc)

Row 6-8: Repeat rows 2-4. (21 hdc; 20 dc & 1 ch 1 sp; 21 hdc)

Row 9: Change to color D. Ch 2, turn work, hdc in same st and each st across. (21 hdc)

Row 10-12: Repeat rows 2-4. (21 hdc; 20 dc & 1 ch 1 sp; 21 hdc)

Row 13: Change to color B. Ch 2, turn work, hdc in same st and each st across. (21 hdc)

Rows 14-16: Repeat rows 2-4. (21 hdc; 20 dc & 1 ch 1 sp; 21 hdc)

Row 17: Repeat row 5. (21 hdc)

Rows 18-20: Repeat rows 2-4. (21 hdc; 20 dc & 1 ch 1 sp; 21 hdc)

Row 21: Repeat row 9. (21 hdc)  

Finish off and weave in ends.

Sew on five 1/2 or 5/8 buttons. Fold over your seat belts and button closed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019 11:23:27 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019 07:14:33 PM »

Look at your sweet craftimobile! Yey Miss Scarlet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 33
audio

Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

stay weird

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019 08:29:56 PM »

I LOVE IT! This so inspires me to clean my car out and craftify it! Great job!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geekgirl1000100

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019 04:19:23 AM »

Your car looks so cheery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019 04:56:07 AM »

Thank you friends!  I was also going to make something for the rear view mirror, but on a mini road trip to Louisville a few weeks ago, I stopped at a truck stop to pee, and bumped into a cute little 'watchover voodoo doll' named Raven.  She and I decided we had to be BFF's, and she's currently there.  She's not handmade, but she is made with yarn, so I just gonna be fine with it.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019 06:56:18 AM »

Those are so nice and bright, I love the heart buttons!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019 08:27:19 AM »

Thanks for posting a tute for this. I have been wanting to make some seat belt covers for awhile now so this is going to super helpful. So fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Witty_Child

I do hope that's all, you witty child.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019 11:56:30 AM »

I love the colours you chose, and what a great way to personalize your car!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhinoceroses
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019 05:21:11 AM »

So cute! I especially love the mixed buttons on the seat belt straps - they bring it to a whole other level of fun  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019 07:17:52 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Give Me a Hand
Tute Tuesday: Stumpwork
Meatless Monday: Risotto

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...