A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
283 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: handmade Sorceress Campaign journal! (A LOT OF PICS)  (Read 700 times)
Tags for this thread: dungeons_and_dragons , journal , book_binding , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
StudioANF
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 27, 2019 07:51:56 AM »

It's finally complete!

After creating my DH his very own fancy campaign journal for our D&D sessions, I knew I needed to make myself one.  More specifically, a bigger one lol.  I have a tendency to doodle and thought the extra space would give me plenty of room for notes and drawings. The character I play in our campaign is a Tiefling Sorceress and wanted my campaign book to resemble a spell book.

My book design turned out to be more square-ish coming in at about 11 3/4" x 11 3/4".  I used hardboard panels cut down with the corners sanded to be round, and the newsprint cut down to size for the signatures.  Once I had the main book cut down and ready to go I drew up the basis of my cover design.  The design was then transferred to Bristol board in parts so that I could build up the design in layers with the focal points (the polyhedral dice) raised higher than the rest.

After everything was cut out and glued together, the relief was then attached to the cover. At this point, the design felt like it needed more. I played around with a few ideas but ultimately went with some crescent shapes spiraling out from the main design.  I then glued embroidery floss down to outline the design to ensure it would come through when I applied the tissue paper.  there are also oval marks in the 4 corners as guides for the fun labradorite cabochons I will add at the end; I just loved the luminous quality of them.

When everything was nice and dry, it was time for me to mod-podge tissue paper over everything to give my book that wrinkled, old look!  I also made raised "beds" for the cabochons to rest in. This treatment was applied to the back cover as well.

After the glue was dried (I waited over night to be extra sure) it was time to paint the main color scheme!

I went with some trusty acrylic paint in deep blue tones as the base, mixing a mid tone and a dark tone to help give the book some depth.  Once this stage was dry I lightened the mid-tone blue considerably and applied it with a fan brush in a "dry brush" technique to catch and highlight all of the raised bits.  This step helps the book look "aged". I think this step is one of my favorite parts.  After the paint is fully dry, I then checked the cabochon fittings and used a white charcoal pencil to outline the design for detail painting.

For bringing out the details, I ended up using iridescent calligraphy ink because I really wanted the book to have a fun "magical" shimmer to it.  I coupled that with silver metallic gel pen because that is so much easier to get a steady line than a fine tipped brush and paint lol. Once all of the details are filled in, I cut out the final set of polyhedral dice and applied them to the design which were painted with the calligraphy ink and outlined in gel pen.

the last step is the actual binding! I went with a pretty, shimmery embroidery floss that I split in two and waxed myself with some beeswax.  Here are some action binding shots Smiley

The cabochons were glued in with E6000 and left to dry for a bit after everything was bound up.

Here's the end result!

and I couldn't resist adding a picture of my character to the first page immediately Tongue

At this point, I'm totally going to end up outfitting the rest of my group with their very own journals as well...I've already got the design worked out for a necromancy spell-book for my Tiefling sister in our adventuring party Wink

Thanks so much for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019 08:02:26 AM »

Wow, this looks amazing! Beautiful color scheme, and I love the crescent marks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019 09:07:14 AM »

I love all the work you put into it and the end result is amazing!

I'm a book lover (with and without print).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StudioANF

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019 09:12:34 AM »

Wow, this looks amazing! Beautiful color scheme, and I love the crescent marks!

Thanks!  Smiley

I love all the work you put into it and the end result is amazing!

I'm a book lover (with and without print).

Thank you! I am a book lover as well.  One day I'd like to try my hand at paper making; I find the process so interesting. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EriChanHime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019 10:15:20 AM »

Outstanding! I've never seen that technique with tissue paper before, but it works so perfectly! Your finishing, details, and binding are also lovely and so neatly done. This is a stunning project, and your D&D group is going to be so delightfully spoiled! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter, sewist, costumer, doll maker, baker and cake decorator, reader, collector, all-purpose nerd...
You can also find me on Den of Angels for ABJD related stuff!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019 12:41:13 PM »

Absolutely STUNNING my friend!  Rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kwality570
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019 01:03:56 PM »

A beautifully created amazing journal. This is phenomenal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019 01:46:03 PM »

Very cool 3-dimensional cover design & Tieflings are awesome!  Don't forget the protection spell to keep nosy gnomes from peeking at the pages . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BigBangMomma

Living the @Lynx2Lancer life on Instagram!

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019 01:56:28 PM »

This is so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Little Visitor Swap Rd 29: Mr. Sparkles is visiting Scotland!
                                     Hosting Nessie!
2019 Make-A-Friend Revival: Organizing and Crafting!
4x6 April/May 2019--Sent!
I Love Houseplants Swap: Waiting on Partners!
May Ongoing Atc Swap: claimed/sent/received
SonjaBoo

Release the Craftin'!

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019 05:02:04 PM »

Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Stumpwork
Meatless Monday: Risotto
@Home This Weekend: Quick Wall Art

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...