A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
157 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Question, Molding Trim for a Lightbox  (Read 324 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
nodsdorf
« on: March 26, 2019 01:05:18 PM »

Hi everybody, nice to meet you.

I am working on a photo box for pictures for eBay. I know there are some cheap ones out there but wanted to try my hands at making my own.

If you'll allow me a short description, I'll get to my question. The box I decided to make was with cardboard, I just used a large moving box, cut off the sides laid blackout fabric on the bottom, back and sides. That all went really well. Now I need to attach the sides back and this is where i"m having an issue.

What I thought would be easy to find or at least what is in my mind is a corner molding piece that has a horizontal slot and a vertical slot at a 90 degree angle in which I could slide the cardboard in to assemble the box, when done I could slide the pieces out and put it away. The problem is that I can't find this type of thing. I don't know if that is because it doesn't exist or that I don't know what to call it.

So that is my question, does anybody know what this molding or trim is called or where I can get it.

Here is a picture I threw together of what I'm looking for. The red arrows are where I'd insert the cardboard, the trim/molding would run along the edges to complete the corner of the box. Does anybody know what this stuff is called, or even better a link to where I may buy this?

Thank you kindly
Tom
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019 01:30:53 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019 01:38:53 PM »

Hi Tom, nice to meet you Smiley. I am not sure I totally understand what it is that you're after here.
I can share a light box another member here cobbled together with paper and a clear plastic tub, she manages to take quite nice photos with this set up so perhaps it would work for you.
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=402545.0

I have made one in the past with a cardboard box, the sides and top are cut out and the space covered with white tissue paper to diffuse light. This is not collapsible and is a bit rickety so it's got to be left in one place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nodsdorf
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019 01:57:22 PM »

Hi, thank you for your response. That box does look decent. However, I'd love to make this collapsable.

So if you can imagine a piece of crown molding for the trims. In the image, I linked (can't post one due to being new), imagine trying to connect a square piece of cardboard at a 90-degree angle. For example, the base/bottom sits flat on a table top. Then you would butt up against it at a 90-degree angle the side piece. So my thought was a trim piece that would allow you to insert the cardboard base horizontally, and then another piece vertically. That is what that image is trying to show.

How would you imagine attaching these 2 pieces and still be able to fold them in on themselves or dis-assemble them? I can use a pair of piano hinges but those really are designed to be sunk into the wood and the cardboard isn't going to last super long with screws through them. Another idea would be to put duck tape around the outside edge of the horizontal and vertical piece but that isn't really sturdy for holding the side piece in a vertical position and would look pretty bad, and would prevent disassembly.

Thank you once again
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nodsdorf
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019 02:08:22 PM »

Here is another attempt at an image.

The white slots in the bottom image are where you'd slide the 2 pieces of cardboard in. I just grabbed this image online and added the white space but it shows the 90-degree insertions and the trim type. It isn't necessarily the look I'd want but it should help illustrate what I'm asking. Thank you.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019 01:31:06 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019 02:10:00 PM »

I did look at your image but I am not sure I totally understand. If you are wanting some sort of edging that will hold a sheet of cardboard, you could make that out of cardboard as well. Strips of it cut and glued together to create exactly the size and shape you're after.

I do have another suggestion for a very durable collapsible light box. If you google search PVC tube light box you'll see some great constructs, they work beautifully with white tissue paper or fabric drape and can be put together and taken apart pretty quickly. they are sturdy enough for clips as well, if you're wanting to suspend an object from fine mylar line or change out the backdrop. That will cost a bit more than a cardboard box but you will only ever have to make one, it should last a lifetime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nodsdorf
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019 12:14:25 AM »

Thank you once again. I'll take a look. Thinking about it, PVC would have been a great choice for the framework had I started that way. Hehe.

We'll see what I can come up with.

Be well,
Tom
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...