A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,932
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrappy Embellishments  (Read 2090 times)
Tags for this thread: scrappy , embellishment , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
geekgirl1000100
« on: March 20, 2019 05:52:51 AM »

I decided to put this thread under Paper Crafts: Completed Projects: Reconstructed because except for the printed words and staples everything I used was scraps of scraps.

I got the idea from this facebook video
https://www.facebook.com/elise.shaw.5/videos/2768418779849958/
For those that don't use FB, the original poster was Elise Shaw and here are some screenshots of her tags

Her's were pretty uniform in shape, I deviated from that.  The backs (that you can't see) are cut from a sturdy piece of junk mail.  I used small pieces of random papers I had leftover from cutting up gelli prints scraps and other papers for greeting cards and ATCs, tiny bits of ribbon and lace, and tissue paper that I had thrown into a box, etc.

I started gluing the layers together but wasn't totally happy with them, some of them were a little bulky so the word on top didn't lay flat so then I stapled the rest together.  I used to hate visible staples but after watching so many mixed media art / embellishment videos staple things, I have learned to embrace staples.

And after LB&BB mentioned colored staples I got out the colored staples I had for my staple board (which I hate BTW) and made some more.  The colored staples I had are kind of crap and jammed a lot in my stapler (but they jam on the staple board also).  In the second batch I also used some tiny scraps of fabric I had on some of the embellishments.  

These are super easy and addictive to make. I still have more I haven't taken pictures of.  Anyone swapping with me in any paper related swap for the forseeable future will probably be getting some of these  Grin

I tried to make sure I had at least 3 layers and if the materials were flimsy I added a piece of the sturdy junk mail I had cut up.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019 08:01:23 AM by geekgirl1000100 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyfulClover
Live long and prosper

Peace and long life

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019 06:20:14 AM »

What an abundance! And so many words, and ways!  Love them!

\m/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zcrafter

Librarian, duck lover, owned by a dog

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019 06:38:07 AM »

Those are just so cute and upbeat! I would love to receive some in a swap. I'm sure others would too.

Your use of color is spot on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019 06:40:07 AM »

My gosh, those are amazing. Really, really charming little works of art. I am completely entranced and thinking about how to make some time for studio crafting this week. What will you do with them? They'd make terrific ATC's, greeting cards, gift tags... wow. Love <3

If you really hate the staples, perhaps they could be under the word strips which could be glued on or stuck with double sided tape. Just an idea...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
StudioANF
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019 08:03:29 AM »

Love these!! these are so fun and a great way to use up all those little bits leftover from larger projects! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019 10:23:02 AM »

I love these! They are so uplifting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019 10:57:16 AM »

I would love to receive these in happy mail or in a swap!
Lovely and a great way to use up scraps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Junk Journal-along in the Misc. Topics board
Altered Puzzle Pieces coming soon....
Another 4 x 6 Art Swap
SonjaBoo
Release the Craftin'!

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019 04:09:15 AM »

Ooh, paper eye candy! Love these, geekgirl1000100!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geekgirl1000100
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019 06:55:46 AM »

Thanks everyone!

CLM - I will keep these in my finished embellishment stash that also has things like altered tickets in it and then I use them when I make bigger things.  I add them on ATCs, altered tags, journal pages, junk journals, etc.  So like a mini piece of art incorporated into a larger piece.  I like layers and texture so it helps add interest to the overall project.  I do most my crafting in blocks.  I rarely sit down and do one item from start to finish.  I'll make a ton of backgrounds, or a ton of embellishments, or a bunch of mini notebooks/other journal tuck-ins and then when I need to complete a project I will rummage through my pile of already made elements.

My gosh, those are amazing. Really, really charming little works of art. I am completely entranced and thinking about how to make some time for studio crafting this week. What will you do with them? They'd make terrific ATC's, greeting cards, gift tags... wow. Love <3

If you really hate the staples, perhaps they could be under the word strips which could be glued on or stuck with double sided tape. Just an idea...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019 07:34:30 AM »

Ok, this is the eightieth time I've looked these over, lol. I have a question about how you inked the torn edges of some of those papers. I have a hard time inking a stiff, straight edge, never mind that irregular shape, and a book page no less. What's your secret? They just looks so great, I have to try this myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...